A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Just signed my purchase agreement!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just signed my purchase agreement!

My new 2011 A4 Prestige Package, Phantom Black, will not be here till April 18th. I can not wait! Does anyone have the Side Assist package or has anyone added one of these add-on options from the dealer? (Your advise would be greatly appreciated):

-Service Contract – extended warranty. I priced out a 7 year, up to 100,000 mile plan. This is platinum coverage which is the most similar to the manufacturer’s warranty. This contract does have a $100 deductible. If you plan on keeping your car past the manufacturer’s warranty, I do recommend adding this now as it will cost you less money to purchase.

-Guaranteed Auto Protection – AKA GAP. This would take care of the balance on your loan, should the vehicle be totaled or stolen. Your insurance company will pay fair market value, and if there is a difference between that and the loan balance, the GAP coverage will pay it. They will also pay your insurance deductible. I highly recommend this if you are not putting at least 20% down on your vehicle purchase.

-Protection Package – This is a clear coat that would be applied to the entire exterior of the vehicle, as well as the interior leather and fabric surfaces. The exterior will protect against all environmental things that would eat through the paint (for example: salt damage, bug damage, tree sap, etc). The interior is a stain repellant for the flooring and your cloth mats, also a leather protectant. It would prevent any discoloration from the leather, as well as any fading. There is a 5 year warranty with this product

-Crystal Fusion – This is a chemical treatment which gets applied to the windshield. It will make the glass 10 times stronger, therefore protecting against rock chips and any small pits that sometimes happens. It also works like a permanent Rain X. It repels water, so it increases visibility in bad weather. Also, it significantly reduces night glare. There is a 5 year warranty with this product, as well as a repair clause.

-Venture Shield – This is our version of Clear Bra. It is a plastic wrap that goes around the entire front end of the vehicle to protect the paint from rock chips. It goes ~16” up the hood, over the headlight covers, the fender and bumper, and the back of the side mirrors. This is great for lower sitting cars. The applicator provides a lifetime warranty with his product. It is also cut by the VIN, never on the vehicle itself.

-Tire Protection – This is Road Hazard Protection. It will replace a wheel or tire, should you drive over something in the road (a pothole, glass from an accident, etc). It also provides Road Side Assistance. This is a 5 year plan.

-Audi Care – This is pre-paying for all the regularly scheduled maintenance items during the 4 year, 50,000 mile factory warranty. You will save about $300.00 by purchasing this product, vs. paying for each service separately.

Thank you

Todd
Old 03-20-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My2011A4
My new 2011 A4 Prestige Package, Phantom Black, will not be here till April 18th. I can not wait! Does anyone have the Side Assist package or has anyone added one of these add-on options from the dealer? (Your advise would be greatly appreciated):

-Service Contract – extended warranty. I priced out a 7 year, up to 100,000 mile plan. This is platinum coverage which is the most similar to the manufacturer’s warranty. This contract does have a $100 deductible. If you plan on keeping your car past the manufacturer’s warranty, I do recommend adding this now as it will cost you less money to purchase.
*ONLY MATTERS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE CAR THAT LONG, AND HOW MUCH YOU DRIVE. IT'S REALLY YOUR CALL. FIXING THAT CAR OUT OF WARRANTY WON'T BE CHEAP.

-Guaranteed Auto Protection – AKA GAP. This would take care of the balance on your loan, should the vehicle be totaled or stolen. Your insurance company will pay fair market value, and if there is a difference between that and the loan balance, the GAP coverage will pay it. They will also pay your insurance deductible. I highly recommend this if you are not putting at least 20% down on your vehicle purchase.
*THIS IS WHAT YOUR AUTO INSURANCE IS FOR. JUST BUY BETTER COVERAGE.

-Protection Package – This is a clear coat that would be applied to the entire exterior of the vehicle, as well as the interior leather and fabric surfaces. The exterior will protect against all environmental things that would eat through the paint (for example: salt damage, bug damage, tree sap, etc). The interior is a stain repellant for the flooring and your cloth mats, also a leather protectant. It would prevent any discoloration from the leather, as well as any fading. There is a 5 year warranty with this product
*RIP OFF, GO TO AUTOZONE AND GET SOME LEATHER AND CARPET PROTECTOR. AND PAY FOR GOOD WAX CARWASHES.

-Crystal Fusion – This is a chemical treatment which gets applied to the windshield. It will make the glass 10 times stronger, therefore protecting against rock chips and any small pits that sometimes happens. It also works like a permanent Rain X. It repels water, so it increases visibility in bad weather. Also, it significantly reduces night glare. There is a 5 year warranty with this product, as well as a repair clause.
*IF IT IS LIKE RAINX, THEN APPLY RAINX. THIS IS A RIPOFF.

-Venture Shield – This is our version of Clear Bra. It is a plastic wrap that goes around the entire front end of the vehicle to protect the paint from rock chips. It goes ~16” up the hood, over the headlight covers, the fender and bumper, and the back of the side mirrors. This is great for lower sitting cars. The applicator provides a lifetime warranty with his product. It is also cut by the VIN, never on the vehicle itself.
*LOTS OF FORUM MEMBERS LIKE IT. THE 3M VERSION OF THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE REALLY GOOD, BUT IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO APPLIES IT.

-Tire Protection – This is Road Hazard Protection. It will replace a wheel or tire, should you drive over something in the road (a pothole, glass from an accident, etc). It also provides Road Side Assistance. This is a 5 year plan.
*ONLY WORKS ON THE ORIGINAL TIRES/RIMS, AND THOSE TIRES WILL GO 40-50,000 MILES. MIGHT AS WELL SKIP IT.

-Audi Care – This is pre-paying for all the regularly scheduled maintenance items during the 4 year, 50,000 mile factory warranty. You will save about $300.00 by purchasing this product, vs. paying for each service separately.
*IT'S WORTH IT. MOST FORUM MEMBERS GET THE DEALERSHIP TO THROW IT IN FOR FREE.

Thank you

Todd

Hey take a look at my comments above in your quote.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's a known fact that the dealerships have huge markups on the add-ons offered at the point of sale. Some states are trying put in place a legislation to rein in this practice. The issue is that people are forced to make such decisions under pressure and they typically know very little about these products and have not had a chance to do enough research to find alternatives.
I, for example, once bought paint/leather and rim protection for my wife's car. I consider that the moment of my life where my intelligence was at all-time low for that half an hour I spent in the finance manager's office. The rim could be replaced only if it was so bent that the tire could not hold the pressure. The chance of this happening to my wife is probably one in 100000. Anyway, the thing I regret the most was buying the paint protection. I have an engineering background and for the life of me I don't understand how that guy tricked me into buying that. The first bird dropping that etched itself into the clear coat dispersed all doubts that this product was simply an insurance against paint damage, not an actual paint protector. I didn't file a claim. Who would accept a bird poop damage claim anyway?

For most of the products they sell at the point of sale you can find a cheaper alternative if you do your research.

The one that is most difficult to argue about is Audi Care. That's because if you get their price for the separate maintenance work at 15k, 25k, and 35k combined, it will probably cost more. A friend of mine works at a Ford dealership and he told me that the mechanics are dying to get a car for a scheduled maintenance, because there isn't much to do, but they get paid say for an hour, do the oil change for 10 minutes and then go do another car and make more money.
Looking at the A4 2.0T maintenance schedule, the 3 oil changes and the spark plugs are a must. The brake fluid - maybe. Doing that at the dealership will cost you probably about $400. The rest of the money you will be paying for Audi Care will go into inspections that may not be done at all, don't need to be done, or you can do easily yourself. Such inspections are more important at the first service, which Audi covers. I have never done scheduled maintenance (other than oil change and spark plugs) on my cars and have never had issues that those pricy inspections could have uncovered.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you all for your feedback. I have decided to purchase Audi Care, and forget the rest.

Cheers,

Todd
Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The interior/exterior sealants are a waste and BS.

GAP is often covered in your insurance policy, so check that first.

Most national tire chain stores offer similar tire garantees for a lot less.

I'd skip just about everything here and find a good mechanic you trust.

Always keep in mind most accessories or customization dealers offer are extremely high mark-up items that pads their pockets.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Clear bra and audi care. Call around on the clear bra. You can find it cheaper and make the dealer match the price and roll it into your payment. All the others are a joke.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a heads up not all insurance companies provide GAP coverage. If they don't, for instance Nationwide.....there's nothing you can do or change to your policy that would help you in the event of a total loss. They will pay the book value of the vehicle and that's it....if you owe more than that, you're screwed.

I'd personally pick up the GAP and the Audi Care package.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

SKIP on it all.
Buy the extended warranty down the road if you still have the car at that time.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats on your purchase - I have the same car in Meteor Gray, but 2010.
I do have driver assist, and like it alot. It sometimes gives false positives, but if the blind spot alert makes you look anyway, so be it.

With regard to GAP, it is required by law free of charge on leases, but not necessarily on finance contracts. I usually do not recommend this product.

Good luck with the new ride.

Quick Reply: Just signed my purchase agreement!