A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

K&N Typhoon Intake Kit Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Typhoon Intake Kit Review

I just copy & pasted what i posted on another forum:

I just got back from wheelsto who helped me install the kit. (I really need to invest in a good tool/toolbox)

Power gain: Compared to HFC that i installed couple weeks ago, it's not significant. Perhaps it's the hot/muggy weather, but I defninitely feel the car oepning up in mid/high rpm range. My butt says 5-6 whp. It is definitely noticeable.

Sound: Holy ****! Now i know why all the ricers in wrx/evo rev their car for no good reason. I feel like i'm becoming one of them... just reving/venting, shifting into gears way too often. The intake is loud. With this, forget the DV spacer. When you rev and let off you can hear the DV working... I'm intoxicated. Coming from a V8, this is a pleasant shock to me.

Wheelsto took some pics and videos, which I hope they will post up soon. I have an in-cabin video that i took on the way home. It has a lot of wind noise but it should give you an idea of what it sounds like while driving. I'll try to get that up on youtube asap.

I say the intake is comletely worth it. I guess i'll have to wait and time will tell if this intake is good for longetivity.

Here's the before and after vid i promised, courtesy of WheelSto:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WheelSto.../0/wCGAn-5ullA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCGAn-5ullA
Old 09-03-2010, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

nice!!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I assume you know this but if not it is very well documented that the K&N and other oiled filters are not good for your engine! on the Audi you WILL very likely get premature failures in your Airflow meters and other intake sensors which do not like the oils from them!
you do gain Sound, but no real power unless you are sucking cold air! you are much better off using a good paper filter and a good cold air intake system if you want to keep your car!
Also of note you do not want to remove your water trap if you drive in the rain, I have seen Saabs and others with cracked pistons from these filters from sucking in water!!

Last edited by jschick; 09-03-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

i ran 110,000 miles on b5 s4 with a k&n like intake with no problems. the biggest issue with airflow meters is vibration. so if the system installed is well designed than you should be ok. if you are concerned about the oil, well than blow compressed air through the filter after cleaning. you dont want saturated oil from the spray messing things up. As for sucking in cold air.. agree that intake temp gets hot, but cool down once he engine sucks air in from outside. just run a air temp sensor you will see what i mean.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock sounds better IMO.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wonder if it effects the air/fuel mixture if your running a tune, making it run too lean?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NickZag
I wonder if it effects the air/fuel mixture if your running a tune, making it run too lean?
This is before the MAF, so unless it puts things outside of the parameters in the map (I doubt that) it shouldn't run lean. But then again some one who actually knows should answer.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default like ?

do you like it ?? i've been dying to get one but reviews everywhere say that its not that good so im stumped
Old 04-07-2011, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Chrono, does it get hot where you live during the year? I can't imagine why someone would want to draw the heated, under-hood air where the factory has fitted a nice cold air set up
Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon Intake Kit Review