A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

the lack of sport package equipped cars is killing me

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for the sport package too... even if you can't test drive one. I am so glad I found one that was equipped with it.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe an aftermarket solution is the best you can do. Lots of choices!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mart242

I've got a 10 months old and a 4 years old with my A4 and sport package. My wife even preferred the sport seats due to their adjustable thigh support and the ride is far from rough, I find the suspension great. Firm but not rough.

As for the kids, the 10 months old doesn't care and the 4 years old says that "it's a cool car because it's got a button under the rear view mirror to make the car cool when the little green light is turned on"
Hmmm...all I can say is maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm in the Northeast and specifically the NYC/NJ area. Here we have potholes the size of a small kids wading pools. Even with my non sport suspension, the potholes, bumps, valleys, sewage drain covers and other stuff on the road is very noticable. Every sports suspension car I've driven has obviously been worse on those conditions in terms of roughness, etc.

If we have smooth and perfect roads, that's a whole different story!!! Unfortunately that's not the case where I am. Maybe one of the reasons mktt is having such a hard time finding a B8 A4 w/sport in the Northeast!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bad idea....

Originally Posted by Zetetic
Maybe an aftermarket solution is the best you can do. Lots of choices!
...few, if any, aftermarket seats have side airbags - accordingly, there is no guarantee that ANY of your airbags will deploy as intended...
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
Hmmm...all I can say is maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm in the Northeast and specifically the NYC/NJ area. Here we have potholes the size of a small kids wading pools.

Pff. I'm in Canada.. Ottawa to be exact where we've got more than our shares of potholes... And I sometimes go to Montreal where it's even worse. Our potholes are the size of LARGE kids wading pools
Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mart242
Pff. I'm in Canada.. Ottawa to be exact where we've got more than our shares of potholes... And I sometimes go to Montreal where it's even worse. Our potholes are the size of LARGE kids wading pools
So maybe you're just more tolerant of the sports suspension ride than my significant other. In the end, as much as I'd like to ignore what she thinks, I can't.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a B7 without the sports package and just got the B8 a couple of weeks ago with sports. I have to say it is amazing. I love the way it looks and handles. I was a little concerned about it being rough (i couldn't test drive it either), but no issues IMO.

Go for it.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sport package all the way. The difference with and without is nite and day. Non-sport feels like driving your grandma's cadillac, with sports package a drastic change but not harsh at all. Compared to the 328xi, the a4 is not as taut but a smoother ride. In the end, the difference is the a4 is a better daily commuter car and the 328xi is only really fun when being pushed and driven like a sports car.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I had read the reason for the lack of sport packs is because that until recently it had to be an ordered option? Is that true?

I mean the lack of sport packs in the northeast could also be partially due to the tires offered with them. Anyone ordering the sport pack in the northeast would probably have to either get all season tires or a winter tire/rim pkg. I mean I live in the tri-state area and while the pot holes are bad at times it's not a reason to not get the sportk pkg imho.

Either way I see plenty of older model A4's with sport packs in the northeast so it's probably also a timing thing.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I totally advocate getting the sport package as much as the next person, I do have one complaint: the sport seat cushioning doesn't cut the mustard on long road trips. I don't know if the cushioning is the same density or firmness as the standard seats, but I just took a trip to Florida and even with Drive Select on Comfort to eat up the bumps, my bum was still sore 3 hours into the trip. The sport seats' extendable thigh supports were a definite plus, but that is almost canceled out by the firm (thin?) cushioning over long hauls. I never have a problem on short trips though.

Quick Reply: the lack of sport package equipped cars is killing me