A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Last Minute Negotiations

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moviela
I have no problem letting you know what they are. Most involve some type of sales performance. Meeting goals for the dealer, or for the region can result in cash back to the dealer. Audi claims they don't pay hold-back, but VW chips in 2% of MSRP if you hit corporate sales goals. Sales contests reward winners with trips or luxury goods. These often can be sold for cash. Volume buying, where a large number of units can be bought with one unit free, or on lesser quantities get a free one year lease.

Spiffs for selling certain packages, usually offered when the factory is fat with something like 19 inch wheels.

Increases in the factory percentage of co-op advertising when sales goals are met, or good media buys increase traffic.

The destination charge is actually a charge at destination. Delivery of the car to the dealer is included in the invoice for the price of the car. Dealers keep this loot because people have been conditioned to pay it. It also allows them to exclude a portion of the profit on a sale from being used in the calculation of the salesman's pay.

There are punch outs, alternate transportation, industrial bonds, training, and subsidized financing.

All of these combine to lower the per unit costs of the dealer. States and cities also can contribute with reduced taxes, rent assistance, redevelopment money, public area landscaping, and public property signage.

Get either of Herb Cohen's books on negotiating, you will learn how to protect your budget.
Probably one of the most informative posts I've ever read. I had hunches. Thank you very much for sharing your insight. There is certainly more to what meets the eye. What gets me most is how the word hasn't gotten out by now, with former employees running around out there.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@moviela: Thanks so much for that information. My current car was an easy deal because I was buying a demo at the dead end of 2004, and they wanted to move it off the lot before the New Year. So it was pathetically simple, very little negotiating beyond my wife and I shaking our head and saying "No."

Thus, this is the first time I've ever really had to enter negotiations for a car, particularly in this segment. I had no idea that the dealership made significant money even if a car was sold below invoice. And thanks for clarifying some of the add-on charges, and the friendly reminder of my trump card, i.e. my money. Since my car is functional, time is on my side in that regard. As for the add-ons in negotiations, I suppose that was more about me trying to squeeze more out of the deal, as it were, when really I should focus on the important part, the price of the new car.

I am attempting to sell the car privately, but the buyer is still trying to get financing, and isn't sure if they can do it. I should have put the car in Autotrader a lot earlier, but what's done is done.

Sorry I am coming off as such a newbie; it seems to irritate the hell out of several of you, but I can't help that. This has been the best place for me to find information and get opinions, which is something I appreciate considering the magnitude of this purchase.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info moviela...

zen - congrats with your soon-to-be-extinct 3.2 (at least in the us?)..btw, motortrend said it was faster than the new 300+ hp TL sh-awd!