A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Latest Low Speed Shudder Update (and high speed vibration TSB#)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
After talking with a representative from AOA, I received some additional info on the low speed shudder issue. He told me that they are now just about finished field testing a new hose and while it's taking a bit longer than anticipated, it appears that the orders are just about ready to be sent to the supplier for manufacturing.

Apparently there are two hoses that will be replaced by one - a metal hose and a braided hose will both be replaced by a single, newly designed braided one. (Larger capacity)? He also told me that while they did not yet have a firm date, distribution of the parts to the dealers should be within "weeks".

Also, anyone still getting a runaround from a dealer re the high speed steering wheel oscillation issue should have the dealer reference TSB #2019644/3 as sent to me by the representative. He claims no dealer should be unaware of the control arm fix.
Finally, he tells me that this TSB is for the 2009 A4 B8s; there were a few early 2010 A4 B8s that also had the original control arms but that there may be a separate TSB number for those affected. TSB's are issued based on a range of VIN numbers so a dealer ought to know exactly if your A4 requires new arms.

If a dealer refuses to acknowledge the issue, as I've stated in the past, contact AOA directly. If, for any reason, an AOA customer service person does not respond with accurate info, ask to escalate to someone of higher authority. Have your VIN number handy when you call.
Good info thanks. I got the same call

By the way, interesting there's a known TSB for high speed shudder, last time I was at the dealer a few weeks ago they ran my VIN through the system to bring up TSBs and the high speed shudder/control arms didn't come up so I guess I'm good to go on that one.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
The TSB in the eBahn Bentley manual is old and outdated. They haven't updated the TSBs in that manual since July.
I don't doubt that is is old and outdated. The thing that I'm questioning is that the number for the TSB has fundamentally changed (to another number that is actually on a different TSB). I would have thought that it may have been revised.

John.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Ok. I sent an email to my guy at AOA asking for clarification on the B8 high speed vibration TSB # confusion and here's his reply:

"Please accept my apologies. The TSB number referenced is immediately above the correct TSB number in the listing.The correct TSB number is 2022179/1."

Yet a different number but it appears to be a higher one than shown in John's earlier post.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for finding this information for us. I'll take my 2009 A4 to the dealer after I remove my winter tires and rims in the spring. I will call my service manager and alert them with the TSB number when I schedue the car for resolution of this issue.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After talking with a representative from AOA, I received some additional info on the low speed shudder issue. He told me that they are now just about finished field testing a new hose and while it's taking a bit longer than anticipated, it appears that the orders are just about ready to be sent to the supplier for manufacturing.

Apparently there are two hoses that will be replaced by one - a metal hose and a braided hose will both be replaced by a single, newly designed braided one. (Larger capacity)? He also told me that while they did not yet have a firm date, distribution of the parts to the dealers should be within "weeks".

Also, anyone still getting a runaround from a dealer re the high speed steering wheel oscillation issue should have the dealer reference TSB #2019644/3 as sent to me by the representative. He claims no dealer should be unaware of the control arm fix.
Finally, he tells me that this TSB is for the 2009 A4 B8s; there were a few early 2010 A4 B8s that also had the original control arms but that there may be a separate TSB number for those affected. TSB's are issued based on a range of VIN numbers so a dealer ought to know exactly if your A4 requires new arms.

If a dealer refuses to acknowledge the issue, as I've stated in the past, contact AOA directly. If, for any reason, an AOA customer service person does not respond with accurate info, ask to escalate to someone of higher authority. Have your VIN number handy when you call.
Re the low speed shudder

I had the hose replacement two months ago and, while the problem got better, it has not entirely gone away. I have an automatic 2.0T and the problem occurs on low speed, low RPM, high angularity turns, as when parking, going into a roundabout slowly, and turning downhill at slow speed under braking.

Jerry
Old 12-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok. I sent an email to my guy at AOA asking for clarification on the B8 high speed vibration TSB # confusion and here's his reply:

"Please accept my apologies. The TSB number referenced is immediately above the correct TSB number in the listing.The correct TSB number is 2022179/1."

Yet a different number but it appears to be a higher one than shown in John's earlier post.
snagitseven,
did you get the entire TSB? What I am wondering is whether the TSB states whether the dealer is compelled to do an alignment after they install the control arms. I've been swamped but I have emailed both the GM of the dealership and the SM of the dealership to ask WHY they did not align my A4 after installing the control arms. Still no answer.

I guess I'm back to calling AoA and have them re-open the case to get this taken care of. Was hoping you had the entire TSB and could tell me what it says.

I know there were a few posters that did write back that their car WAS aligned (I know yours was). Others on the forum have not replied.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by desgnconcpts
snagitseven,
did you get the entire TSB? What I am wondering is whether the TSB states whether the dealer is compelled to do an alignment after they install the control arms. I've been swamped but I have emailed both the GM of the dealership and the SM of the dealership to ask WHY they did not align my A4 after installing the control arms. Still no answer.

I guess I'm back to calling AoA and have them re-open the case to get this taken care of. Was hoping you had the entire TSB and could tell me what it says.

I know there were a few posters that did write back that their car WAS aligned (I know yours was). Others on the forum have not replied.

Thanks for the help.
Sorry, he just sent the number. Is your car pulling to either side? If not, maybe it's no big deal. The arms were not really changed, just the bushings.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, he just sent the number. Is your car pulling to either side? If not, maybe it's no big deal. The arms were not really changed, just the bushings.
Now I'm really confused (comment about just the bushings). My service order states the control arms and AFAIK, they replaced the control arms that do have new/different bushings in them as opposed to what was used to factory-build the car.

From my experience, I don't know how you can change a significant suspension part and not alter the alignment. No, the car is not pulling, but I just had this experience with alignment and our 2002 Infiniti G20 that I own but don't drive often (wife does). Car never pulled; however, in 1 yrs time, the alignment was so off that it destroyed a set of $500 tires. That's my worry with this car and no alignment -- it doesn't pull but the problem could clearly show up thousands of miles later and cause me to replace tires that would not have needed to be replaced.

Is it possible to ask your contact about requirement for alignment?

Heck, my Dad just had a problem w/his 2008 Enclave and a leaking seal that caused them to pull the trans -- I would never have thought so, but whatever they had to do caused them to realign the car.

So I would think that replacing control arms for this TSB would NECESSITATE an alignment. That's all I'm trying to verify.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My Avant is in the shop right now having both the steering hose and control arms replaced. I will let you all know the difference once I get it back this afternoon.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by desgnconcpts
Now I'm really confused (comment about just the bushings). My service order states the control arms and AFAIK, they replaced the control arms that do have new/different bushings in them as opposed to what was used to factory-build the car.

From my experience, I don't know how you can change a significant suspension part and not alter the alignment. No, the car is not pulling, but I just had this experience with alignment and our 2002 Infiniti G20 that I own but don't drive often (wife does). Car never pulled; however, in 1 yrs time, the alignment was so off that it destroyed a set of $500 tires. That's my worry with this car and no alignment -- it doesn't pull but the problem could clearly show up thousands of miles later and cause me to replace tires that would not have needed to be replaced.

Is it possible to ask your contact about requirement for alignment?

Heck, my Dad just had a problem w/his 2008 Enclave and a leaking seal that caused them to pull the trans -- I would never have thought so, but whatever they had to do caused them to realign the car.

So I would think that replacing control arms for this TSB would NECESSITATE an alignment. That's all I'm trying to verify.
When I wrote the arms haven't changed I meant the design. Since bushings can't be changed by themselves, the whole assemblies including arms with the new bushings are replaced. I believe the shape, weight and configuration of the new arms are the same as the old ones - only the bushings have changed.
No offense intended, but you've been worrying on this for a few weeks. If the cost of an alignment vs. warranty is the bottom line issue bothering you and the dealer won't help, as I've suggested in the past, call AOA yourself and escalate if necessary - that's what I've done successfully for other issues. Agonizing over it here isn't going to resolve it for you.

Quick Reply: Latest Low Speed Shudder Update (and high speed vibration TSB#)