A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Latest Low Speed Shudder Update (and high speed vibration TSB#)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerguy2006
My Avant is in the shop right now having both the steering hose and control arms replaced. I will let you all know the difference once I get it back this afternoon.
Getting a new steering hose replaced this soon? You must be at one of the dealers AOA selected to field test it (I heard that they are field testing in California?). The rest of us will have to wait a few weeks longer for the new parts to be manufactured and sent to our dealers.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
No offense intended, but you've been worrying on this for a few weeks. If the cost of an alignment vs. warranty is the bottom line issue bothering you and the dealer won't help, as I've suggested in the past, call AOA yourself and escalate if necessary - that's what I've done successfully for other issues. Agonizing over it here isn't going to resolve it for you.
Not worrying -- just pi$$ed off that I can't get any kind of answer from the dealer. Yes, I can and will call AoA but they will NOT tell me one way or another whether an alignment is required when replacement is done, they ALWAYS defer to the dealer (at least this has been my experience). I think there were 3 others besides you that said dealer completed an alignment, I guess that's enough evidence for me that it should have been done under warranty as part of the TSB. It must be nice to have such a great contact at AoA.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Indeed - I have been in contact with AoA since the issue started and Brad over there was kind enough to get me in early on the list for the first limited batch of hoses.

Sit Rep:

High speed shudder with the new control arms/bushings is gone - drove 230 miles today and did not feel it once. Car feels more "planted" too and while you can feel the imperfections in the road, you do not feel the shudder at speed.

As for the steering hose, I'm not completely convinced...
While it does not do it under normal slow speed maneuvering any more, I'm still able to reproduce the problem if I turn the steering wheel fast in a turn - think of a hair pin 180 degree turn doing 15-20 miles and hour. I will be speaking with Brad on Monday to update him. If I continue to feel it as I test it around town, I will certainly be pursuing the issue further.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerguy2006
Indeed - I have been in contact with AoA since the issue started and Brad over there was kind enough to get me in early on the list for the first limited batch of hoses.

Sit Rep:

High speed shudder with the new control arms/bushings is gone - drove 230 miles today and did not feel it once. Car feels more "planted" too and while you can feel the imperfections in the road, you do not feel the shudder at speed.

As for the steering hose, I'm not completely convinced...
While it does not do it under normal slow speed maneuvering any more, I'm still able to reproduce the problem if I turn the steering wheel fast in a turn - think of a hair pin 180 degree turn doing 15-20 miles and hour. I will be speaking with Brad on Monday to update him. If I continue to feel it as I test it around town, I will certainly be pursuing the issue further.

I've got over 1500 miles on my new control arms and am experiencing the same result - no more high speed steering wheel vibrations. Completely gone.

As for the low speed "shudder", I have never noticed it at any time except intermittently at under 5 mph in a turn on certain types of surfaces like painted concrete or gravel covered asphalt. I've never experienced it at any speed above 5 mph in any situation nor have I read this in the forum posts. If yours does it at the higher speeds, I wonder if you have a different issue resulting from the new hose. Did also you get the steering shudder at 15-20 mph prior to the hose swap?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes - had the problem anywhere between 1 and 15 mph - less so at higher speeds - but it still happened a few times.

Ill be thoroughly testing it out over the next few days and get back to everyone.