A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Laurel Nutmeg Trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 AM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked mine up two weeks ago with the micrometallic credit. It's a satin finish...no hologram or brush lines. It replaces the brushed aluminum that they have a supply problem with. I think it looks fine and prefer it to fake wood.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Laurel Nutmeg really look fake? I understand that it's a real wood veneer. It must be better than painted plastic.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfo
I just picked mine up two weeks ago with the micrometallic credit. It's a satin finish...no hologram or brush lines. It replaces the brushed aluminum that they have a supply problem with. I think it looks fine and prefer it to fake wood.
It is real wood. The trouble is,they bury the wood under such a thick buildup of gloss that all you see is reflections- none of the beauty of the wood. Go look at a BMW X5 to see the difference. They don't do the satin finish across all lines, but it seems from 5 series up they do. It is lovely- at least to my architect-eye.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jfo
My feeling is at least it matches the MMI surround, rather than being a third texture.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 AM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mellowman
Does the Laurel Nutmeg really look fake? I understand that it's a real wood veneer. It must be better than painted plastic.
I doubt that it's real, but don't really know. I didn't think anyone used real wood anymore..except perhaps a Rolls! It's not that it isn't a good copy and it may look exactly like real wood, but I have never really liked the look and I see plastic wood when I look at it. It's certainly a personal preference and I would go with what you like.

I saw the 3m di-noc brushed aluminum film and it does indeed look like real metal. If I tire of the plastic I think I will go with it.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 AM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by archrenov8
It is real wood. The trouble is,they bury the wood under such a thick buildup of gloss that all you see is reflections- none of the beauty of the wood. Go look at a BMW X5 to see the difference. They don't do the satin finish across all lines, but it seems from 5 series up they do. It is lovely- at least to my architect-eye.
Interesting..I didn't know it was real. But you are right...the high gloss is probably why I see plastic.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback. So am I to assume that the fake plastic looks better than the wood?
The dealer is not offering aluminum so it's stay with plastic or go wood.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jfo
I doubt that it's real, but don't really know. I didn't think anyone used real wood anymore..except perhaps a Rolls! It's not that it isn't a good copy and it may look exactly like real wood, but I have never really liked the look and I see plastic wood when I look at it. It's certainly a personal preference and I would go with what you like.

I saw the 3m di-noc brushed aluminum film and it does indeed look like real metal. If I tire of the plastic I think I will go with it.
Oh, don't be so sure. If they are calling it wood, it is wood. As a matter of fat, they laminate it over aluminum, so that it won't splinter and shatter upon impact.

They would get sued for misrepresentation if they said wood and it just looked like wood.

Remember years ago, Volvo got sued because they were calling their seats leather, when in fact they were just leather seating surfaces, with vinyl sides and backs? Now manufacturers say leather seating surfaces, which means the parts that your body touches when you sit in the seat.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:52 AM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback. So am I to assume that the fake plastic looks better than the wood?
You really should go with what you prefer

Everyone has a different view on this and you're the guy who has to look at it every day. Here's a look at the brushed aluminum di-noc look on a BMW site. There are a lot of different finishes, not just the carbon fiber that you frequently see discussed. The darker brushed graphite also looks nice.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=790100

You may not be interested in a DIY approach, but this shows you do have some options if you want to change. Shops will also install this for you. I just had 3m paint protection film applied and saw samples of the vinyl. I'm in no rush but will probably do the brushed aluminum or graphite when I'm looking for a project
Old 02-13-2011, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

As others have said, the decision is purely based on personal preference. I had silver painted plastic on the dashboard in my previous car and I absolutely abhor it. To me, it looks very cheap and has no place in a $40k car. I opted for wood with the light gray interior in my A4 and am very pleased with the look. I would have chosen Carbon Fiber is offered, but that is only available for the S4.

Quick Reply: Laurel Nutmeg Trim