A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Limited ADS Options VCDS Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited ADS Options VCDS Mod

Ok, so I'm a VCDS junky... I admit it. This latest one puts me at 16 mods pushed thus far. Anyhow, wondering if anyone else has tackled this VCDS mod and what their impressions are? After many hrs of researching posts on various forums, I consolidated the info found into the following procedure for 2010 A4's with 3G MMI and tiptronics (although this is reported to also work for 6MT powertrains). Thought I'd post the info here, as it took some time to compile, separate out what applies to the A4 (as this was adapted from an A5 mod), and so forth. Hope this helps someone out who wants to give this a try. I haven't had a chance to engage the options while driving yet, but the menu selections in the MMI switch so that's a good sign.

------------------

Limited ADS individual modes for cars without ADS (MMI selectable)
Cars without ADS buttons can be coded to adjust engine response and automatic gear-box, as well as Servotronic steering, like an ADS equipped car without dynamic steering or dynamic dampening would. Note that "Charisma" is the Audi code-name for ADS.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...568/index.html
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...GCOM&p=5020059

NOTE: Upon performing this mod, you will constantly throw one fault code in Module 09. This is due to the fact when the ADS options are enabled, the module is looking for a plausible signal from the physical ADS switches that should be on the dash. Obviously, they aren't installed on a non-ADS car, so the module throws a fault code. Not to worry, the switches are now in the MMI digitally, and the fault code thrown won't trigger a MIL on the dash. So, if you want this mod you have to live with the fault code in the module memory all the time. Not a big deal for what you get.

For 3G MMI:
Go to the secret menu, Select "Car" menu, “cardevicelist”, scroll down and check Charisma.
Now, go back, and while still in the "Car" menu, select “carmenuoperation”. Scroll down to Charisma, and change from 0 to 1.
Reset the MMI.

<O</OCoding 09 - Central Elec.</ST1
[Coding - 07]<O</O
[Long Coding Helper]<O</O
Byte 7, bit 5, change 0 to 1
Byte 8, bit 2, change 0 to 1 (Displays Engine ADS Option in MMI)<O</O
Byte 8, bit 4, change 0 to 1 (Displays Steering ADS Option in MMI)
Byte 17, bit 7, change 0 to 1

After this coding, Channels 63 - 66 should now be enabled (previously not available):

<O</O
[09 – Cent. Elect.]
[Security Access - 16]
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 63 change to 4
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 64 change to 4
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 65 change to 4
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 66 change to 4

4 = Individual

<O</O
Examples of byte coding:

New Byte 7 = 00100000 (Stock Byte 7 = 00000001)
New Byte 8 = 00010100 (Stock Byte 8 = 00000000)
New Byte 17 = 10011101 (Stock Byte 17 = 00011101)

Last edited by B8aruba; 05-13-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:03 PM
KSP
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for combining & cleaning up the info from other threads. I have indeed tried this and to be honest I can't tell any difference in steering or throttle response. I found myself wondering if the codes simply lit-up the "options" text on the MMI but in reality didn't really do anything because of missing hardware! I need to go back and compare the coding that I used with what you've published to see if I'm missing something. I have Engine/Gearbox, Steering, Suspension and Sport differential appearing as options. I realize that the last two are tied to hardware not on the car and won't do anything. With the sport option on my Tip and the car running APR code I don't imagine the Engine/Gearbox option will do much - but at the very least I was hoping to tighten up the steering a bit (i think the B8 is much lighter than my B6 was in that respect). A couple questions; (1) Based on your coding do you see the Suspension and Sport differential options on your MMI? (2) Do you know what byte 7 bit 5 and byte 17 bit 7 do? Like I said, my only interest is tighter steering options (that I'd like to select via MMI) and I'd also like to eliminate the other 3 options from appearing on the MMI. Any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

KSP - Yeah, I can help you with that coding. The coding I listed is to enable the engine and steering MMI menus only, purposefully NOT displaying the sport diff and suspension menus. I don't know what Byte 7 and 17 changes do exactly, but I do know that Byte 8, Bit 3 enables the suspension menu. So, based on that, I'd say either Bit 1 or Bit 5 (my guess would be Bit 5) should enable the sport diff menu.

I just installed the Eurocode HFIC pipe earlier this evening, in preparation for a trip south to get the APR Stage I tune, so haven't honestly had a chance to test myself. However, the menus switch between the modes well, and it locks out the menus once underway. I'll have to do a comparison test later this weekend and report back.

Are you aware of the steering tightening mod below? It apparently works pretty well, but use and test carefully as it directly impacts car control and therefore safety could be a concern. If you need more info on this mod, let me know and I'll look up some IE shortcuts to discussion forums for you.

Coding 09 - Central Elec.</ST1
[Coding - 07]<O</O
Byte 7, bit 0, change from 01 to 00
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Ok, so I'm a VCDS junky... I admit it. This latest one puts me at 16 mods pushed thus far. Anyhow, wondering if anyone else has tackled this VCDS mod and what their impressions are? After many hrs of researching posts on various forums, I consolidated the info found into the following procedure for 2010 A4's with 3G MMI and tiptronics (although this is reported to also work for 6MT powertrains). Thought I'd post the info here, as it took some time to compile, separate out what applies to the A4 (as this was adapted from an A5 mod), and so forth. Hope this helps someone out who wants to give this a try. I haven't had a chance to engage the options while driving yet, but the menu selections in the MMI switch so that's a good sign.

------------------

Limited ADS individual modes for cars without ADS (MMI selectable)
Cars without ADS buttons can be coded to adjust engine response and automatic gear-box, as well as Servotronic steering, like an ADS equipped car without dynamic steering or dynamic dampening would. Note that "Charisma" is the Audi code-name for ADS.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...568/index.html
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...GCOM&p=5020059

NOTE: Upon performing this mod, you will constantly throw one fault code in Module 09. This is due to the fact when the ADS options are enabled, the module is looking for a plausible signal from the physical ADS switches that should be on the dash. Obviously, they aren't installed on a non-ADS car, so the module throws a fault code. Not to worry, the switches are now in the MMI digitally, and the fault code thrown won't trigger a MIL on the dash. So, if you want this mod you have to live with the fault code in the module memory all the time. Not a big deal for what you get.

For 3G MMI:
Go to the secret menu, Select "Car" menu, “cardevicelist”, scroll down and check Charisma.
Now, go back, and while still in the "Car" menu, select “carmenuoperation”. Scroll down to Charisma, and change from 0 to 1.
Reset the MMI.

<O</OCoding 09 - Central Elec.</ST1
[Coding - 07]<O</O
Byte 7, bit 5, change 0 to 1
Byte 8, bit 2, change 0 to 1 (Displays Engine ADS Option in MMI)<O</O
Byte 8, bit 4, change 0 to 1 (Displays Steering ADS Option in MMI)
Byte 17, bit 7, change 0 to 1

After this coding, Channels 63 - 66 should now be enabled (previously not available):

<O</O
[09 – Cent. Elect.]
[Security Access - 16]
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 63 change to 4
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 64 change to 4
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 65 change to 4
[Adaptation - 10] -> Channel 66 change to 4

4 = Individual

<O</O
Examples of byte coding:

New Byte 7 = 00100000 (Stock Byte 7 = 00000001)
New Byte 8 = 00010100 (Stock Byte 8 = 00000000)
New Byte 17 = 10011101 (Stock Byte 17 = 00011101)

Hi all,

Does onyone know if this work on q7 2009 tdi, i manage to get the mmi to display ads(but grayed ou) but cannot get to the long coding in 09 cent electronic
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone wants to try anything out, I will be hosting a meetup (no cost) in the Las Vegas area this weekend.

Details in the Audiworld Regional>Southwest Section

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24392192

Spread the word if you know anyone who is going to be in the area.