A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Looking to buy 2011 A4 - Concerned about Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
I change the oil myself on my Audi's every 5k.
Gives me peace of mind. I don't agree with 10k miles oil changes.
i agree.
was changing at 13,000 km and 26,000 km before, but will do it every 7,000 km now. just switched from "original audi long life" to mobil, will se how it will consume oil now, but definetively during winter, with -20C it eats more oil than in summer time.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fdp24
i agree.
was changing at 13,000 km and 26,000 km before, but will do it every 7,000 km now. just switched from "original audi long life" to mobil, will se how it will consume oil now, but definetively during winter, with -20C it eats more oil than in summer time.
It won't consume less with shorter intervals, you'll just notice half as much consumption if you shorten the intervals by half.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had my dealer change the service notification to 3k miles so that I don't miss oil changes. Audi Driver magazine has had numerous articles about the long service intervals that are all the rage these days. This particular quote made it an easy decision to man up and pay the extra cost for regular oil changes outside of the normal AudiCare schedule:

"At the Audi Driver International technical forum last October, the panel was unanimous in condemning long-life servicing, all of them agreeing that regular, more frequent oil changes will have a profound effect on engine life and efficiency." ~Audi Driver June '10

$100 every 3k miles seems like cheap insurance for a car that I would like to keep for many years. I suppose if I was just renting/leasing the car, I might not care. I'd be dumping the sludge filled block back on Audi when I turned it in off lease.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
I had my dealer change the service notification to 3k miles so that I don't miss oil changes. Audi Driver magazine has had numerous articles about the long service intervals that are all the rage these days. This particular quote made it an easy decision to man up and pay the extra cost for regular oil changes outside of the normal AudiCare schedule:

"At the Audi Driver International technical forum last October, the panel was unanimous in condemning long-life servicing, all of them agreeing that regular, more frequent oil changes will have a profound effect on engine life and efficiency." ~Audi Driver June '10

$100 every 3k miles seems like cheap insurance for a car that I would like to keep for many years. I suppose if I was just renting/leasing the car, I might not care. I'd be dumping the sludge filled block back on Audi when I turned it in off lease.
Yeah, but you track regularly as well. Out of curiosity, have you had Blackstone test your used oil yet? I'm all for doing whatever maintenance is necessary to prolong life and keep from losing performance, but at some point you hit diminishing returns or are simply wasting time and money.

being that you do track I don't doubt that you need shorter intervals. Blackstone told me the 10K changes in my 08 GTI were fine. It consumed maybe a half quart between changes.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alins
Hi,

I'm new to this forum - first post!

I'm looking to buy a 2011 Audi A4 as my daily commute car. The car looks great and drives very nicely, but I am getting very concerned about reading about oil consumption problems with the A4. I have no problem with taking the car in for an oil change every 3000 or 5000 miles, but I don't want to be constantly checking my oil levels and topping it off every week or few weeks.

Is this concern warranted? Is there a consensus opinion on this problem? Has the issue been solved in the latest 2011 model?

Thanks very much!

Paul
Just recently Audi did a partial engine repair to our 2009 A4 2.0T due to excessive oil consumption at 24k miles. Our car was using oil at the rate of 500-600 miles per quart. As explained by our dealer, there was a bad batch of piston rings installed at the factory within a specific VIN range and our car happened to fall into that range. Of course the repair was done at no charge under warranty and after a few phone calls to Audi Customer Relations they have extended our warranty for an additional 2yrs/24k miles over and beyond the origial Audi warranty. This engine issue must be a big problem for Audi as the dealer service manager said we are the fourth car in as many weeks to have had the same engine rebuild for the same excessive oil consumption.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wilmurt
Just recently Audi did a partial engine repair to our 2009 A4 2.0T due to excessive oil consumption at 24k miles. Our car was using oil at the rate of 500-600 miles per quart. As explained by our dealer, there was a bad batch of piston rings installed at the factory within a specific VIN range and our car happened to fall into that range. Of course the repair was done at no charge under warranty and after a few phone calls to Audi Customer Relations they have extended our warranty for an additional 2yrs/24k miles over and beyond the origial Audi warranty. This engine issue must be a big problem for Audi as the dealer service manager said we are the fourth car in as many weeks to have had the same engine rebuild for the same excessive oil consumption.
Interesting.. we just dropped off our 2007 A4 2.0T that went through oil at the same rate.. 500-600 miles per quart, starting at around 20,000 miles.. really glad we leased that car and dumped it back on to Audi.

It was driven by my wife, so definitely not abused, and oil was changed more often than the documented intervals
Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Oil consumption in a 2009 B8 A4

After nearly 18,000 miles on my Prestige, 2009 A4 with 6MT, I must say that I am very pleased indeed with the level of oil consumption. After the 5000 mile oil change at the dealer, I am on a 7500 mile oil change schedule. I took care in breaking-in the engine and during the first 5000 miles I had to add 1 quart of oil. I changed the oil & filter myself using a vacuum extractor (as called for in the Bentley Audi shop manual)at 12500 miles. I am using Mobile 1 0W-40 synthetic oil. Although I always carry a quart of Mobile 1 in the trunk, during the 5500 miles since my last oil change I have not added oil to the engine. I check the oil level with the MMI as well as with a dip stick. This 2.0 TFSI engine is excellent. I can't wait for spring to remove my 4 winter/snow tires and take to a long road trip on secondary roads and enjoy the sheer joy of driving an A4.