A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Low-speed steering wheel shudder

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Low-speed steering wheel shudder

Many of you on this forum are familiar with the low-speed steering wheel shudder problem. My car developed the problem in April 2010, and I had it fixed under warranty. A power steering hose was replaced.

In the last month, my car seems to have developed the problem again. Several people here mentioned that Audi issued an updated TSB regarding this problem, and that I should take my car back to my dealership. However, when I went to the dealership today, the service tech told me that the latest TSB calls for the same part number, which they have already put in my car.

So now what? To make matters worse, I couldn't duplicate the problem today before I dropped my car off. Yet, every day when I pull out of my driveway to go to work, I feel a shudder in my steering when I turn onto the street.

I guess I'll just have to wait until the service tech calls me back to see what he has to say.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default TSB update confirmed

After waiting all day for my car, my dealership's service technician called and said I was right -- there is an updated service bulletin for the Audi low-speed steering wheel shudder.

The new part no. is: 8K1-422-893-DP. The previous part number ended in a BP.

My car is now fixed, and that's all I care about.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
After waiting all day for my car, my dealership's service technician called and said I was right -- there is an updated service bulletin for the Audi low-speed steering wheel shudder.

The new part no. is: 8K1-422-893-DP. The previous part number ended in a BP.

My car is now fixed, and that's all I care about.
I had the exact same issue with my '09. Got the original hose replaced and after about a year, the shudder came back. Nothing they could do...they said. Is your vehicle still under warranty. Do they still do the TSBs on cars out of warranty?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Crucible35
I had the exact same issue with my '09. Got the original hose replaced and after about a year, the shudder came back. Nothing they could do...they said. Is your vehicle still under warranty. Do they still do the TSBs on cars out of warranty?
Yes, I still have 6-7 months of warranty left on my car. I don't know if you'd be charged to have the work done out of warranty. Ask your dealer. I think they should do it for free. After all, it's a defect.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, I still have 6-7 months of warranty left on my car. I don't know if you'd be charged to have the work done out of warranty. Ask your dealer. I think they should do it for free. After all, it's a defect.
Was the latest replacement a braided double hose configuration? in 2010, on my 3.2 it was and I was told back then that the 2.0 TSB was a single hose replacement. Never got an explanation for why there was a difference.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know ...

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Was the latest replacement a braided double hose configuration? in 2010, on my 3.2 it was and I was told back then that the 2.0 TSB was a single hose replacement. Never got an explanation for why there was a difference.
... I took a quick look at my engine after they worked on it, and couldn't figure out what they replaced. I'll have to look again when I get a chance.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with mine and I am out of warrenty. It only happens when I am not really moving with low RPM's. If I feather the throttle it usually goes away. Also, after driving for a bit it seems to subside. I have a 5 mins commute to work which does not seems to be long enough to get it to stop so I notice it a lot. I wonder if I am covered at all... 64k me thinks not.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

... I took a quick look at my engine after they worked on it, and couldn't figure out what they replaced. I'll have to look again when I get a chance.

You wouldn't be able to tell even if you knew what you were looking for.
They are just replacing the power steering hose and filling it back up with fluid.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
You wouldn't be able to tell even if you knew what you were looking for.
They are just replacing the power steering hose and filling it back up with fluid.
You would be able to tell if the newest version is the same they updated for my '09 3.2 in 2010. Braided double hoses vs. a single.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

This is the new hose and part #'s. Good luck.

TSB2020332/6
48941900 Power-Assisted Steering Hose

8K1-422-893-DP FLEX HOSE
G-004-000-M2 OIL

Quick Reply: Low-speed steering wheel shudder