A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

modded 2010 a4 b8 k04 vs modded 2010 camaro ss auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting place to put Das Turbolader in the next Zip Code over from the engine. Just looking at the size of that turbine, I'd say it fits Peterbilt too. I would think that you would lose a lot of heat with the length of the plumbing, and rather large lag on the spool up.

I must say it is a nice looking piece of work. I am also curious why the waste gate exit is plumbed at a right angle downstream from the turbo?

Having taken my A4 and a borrowed C55 on hot laps at Fontucky, I am not sure how the A4 ever sees anything but tail lights (until he gets lapped) on any AMG car. The name comes from what people say when told the price. Ach Mein God. (For those of you with no sense of humor, AMG is from Aufrecht, Melcher and Großaspach, the founders of the firm and the birthplace of Aufrecht.)

Even with 2 wheel drive, and GM suspension I am hard pressed to see how a Camero SS could be dusted by an A4 of any stripe.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moviela,

For you my friend, I'm happy to explain the setup as best I can. Let me be honest. I had the idea but I had to hire a number of shops, engineers, coders, electrical experts, turbo gurus, etc. that really earned their hotel bills, airfare, and exhibited great skill in putting together a car that can embarrass Lamborghini's on the freeway with 4 people and luggage. In fact that was the first build criteria, Lambo-kill acceleration and top speed. Of course, any AWD Lambo will jump me off the line. And the newest Lambos will pull away from me I suppose even on the freeway. I have to really feather the throttle until about 50 mph. But even at 70 on the freeway if I mash it, all I get is both rears breaking loose. Looks cool but doesn't accelerate unless you ease into the throttle. Above 100, anything short of the newest Lambos and other super predators, get the sweet smell of uncatalysed fuel and a view of rapidly disappearing tailights. I've owned some pretty fast cars but never anything that requires this much throttle discipline.

I gotta say that the hardware was the relatively easy part, although artfully done. Getting the computers to play nice with the AMG ECU was the nightmare that plagued me over sleepless years and 100's of hours of billable time. Numerous people gave up along the way. I wanted all the factory systems to work as AMG designed and that was a real pain. We'd solve one roadblock in the ECU only to expose another and another.

Anyways, there is virtually zero turbo lag due mainly to 2 factors. First the charge pipe is always charged. There is another blow off valve near the throttle body that protects the magnesium from turning into shrapnel as well as preventing boost spikes. Second, (you even commented on how that charge would cool, which is what we want) the entire length of the aluminum charge pipe acts as the intercooler, thus no need for the pressure drop that would occur if we used an intercooler. So the intake is always charged with cool boost even when you come to a stop. Below I'll explain how the charge is maintained and not exceeded

You asked about the rear blow-off valve... First, it is way over sized for the pressure release that is needed (It just bleeds excess pressure when the charge pipe is pressurized and you are sitting still, say at a stop light) The charge pipe still remains fully charged but it keeps that massive turbine from over doing it. and blowing connectors off, etc. Since It really only acts as a bleed valve instead of a blow off valve, curving the discharge connector was unnecessary but there is a curved stainless baffle at the point where it joins the 14 inch tailpipe length. There are similar curved baffles that were added to the intake design. We got the idea from looking at AMG's own engineering. It's amazing how many times we would come off a dyno session and go back to the drawing board with numerous components and design elements of the original iteration.

As to the size of the turbo, yes it is massive and most people thought it would never work. I researched until my eyes bled and then researched some more. The 5.5 liter AMG motor is more than a torque beast to begin with so lag can't be felt but initially we could see the sudden jump in boost as it came on hard and spiked. That's when the second blow-off valve was added immediately before the throttle plate.

The biggest downside is that even with a custom limited slip built by Quaife, I have to be so disciplined with throttle to avoid losing roasting the 285/30/19 PS2's. I might try the Pilot Sport Cup but they wear SO fast it could end up being a single track day... if they survive that long...

In retrospect, and I have said this many times in many places, and promised my wife, I would never again go this far with any car... But if it had AWD, say an RS6, that just might tempt me...damn you evil tempation and the need for more POWER! Makes me do silly things, like spend over 100k across 5 years (that includes the all mods to the car not just the turbo project itself) on modding a 90k car. There is NO rational explanation.

That said, I would like to thank the most important person to the completion of the project, MY WIFE, my champion and cheerleader in one! I don't know how many times I wanted to pull the plug on the project but at some point for her it just became an imperative. She would remind me of how excited I would get about one little solution or the tiniest bit of progress and tell me that I had to finish it or it would always bother me. Sleepless nights of "what if...?"

Anyways, I have no further intention of doing ANYTHING to it aside from change tires/brakes as needed. I'll have her transported to events that warrant breaking her out for. I keep her in a secure facility here in L.A. now. While I lived in Northern California, I kept it in a garage in the industrial park at Infineon Raceway. She only has 21,000 miles now (11 years old) and is flawless, not a single door ding, some minor road rash at the bottom of the front valence, and some rock chips that were bound to happen with how many miles she has traveled while cruising comfortably in excess of 140 mph. She made the run from San Diego to San Francisco in just under 4:15, that includes refueling stops. Left La Jolla at 0200 hrs and crossed the Bay Bridge into S.F. at 0615 hrs. That was before the turbo... I've only beat that time once and I was a crazy young fella in a Porsche 928S4.

The last time I did a real burn out, I know I should have taped it but was alone at the time and just playing with it. That was almost 3 years ago. The asphalt in front of my friends shop is still scorched. Took almost 2 years for the long strips to fade. The spot where the BEAST sat spinning hasn't changed aside from losing the layer of molten PS2's. The asphalt in those two 2' wide by 1' long sections is scarred for life. During the burnout, I realized it was absurd as I could have sat there doing it until the tires blew out or could have had more problems explaining to law enforcement than I would have liked. I know that I was on private property and my friend would never pres charges but I still could have been in the back of a cruiser for a bit or worse... Aside from the noise of an unmuffled 5.5 liter V8 and Miceline PS2's that were screaming from torture, I was throwing up a smoke cloud that must have been at least 60-100 feet high. When I realized how stupid that was, I got the heck outta there. Then I got to take her home and clean all that PS2 meat off the rear flanks and wheel wells. Good times but now only at the track. I figure I've run my share of luck... I may have had my son late in life but it has given me a new perspective on things, I got a family to look after. Fortunately, my wife fully supports my track activities. And my son is already showing some promise... I told my wife I want him karting by age 4, if he wants to.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
Agree! All I can do is

Sorry I speak 4 languages and in some of them "auto" without referring to transmission means simply car. I am also a bit distracted preparing for knee replacement surgery. I am not making an excuse just offering explanation. You are completely correct that I should learn to read. I am still working on it though. Then I hope to learn to draw as well.

And yes I understand why you would never post this type of story in a Camaro forum. Please rise and come to attention!

Get ready to eat your words when you read my next post. Get your pimp roll ready or prepare to get pimp slapped and go back home with your tail between your legs like the rest of the little dogs. Daddy's 'bout to rain some fire an brimstone in the form of molten Michelin PS2's. ...

I gotta wait for my wife to leave the room...she just gave me the evil eye and warned me to stop wrestling with midgets in the mud because they enjoy it. I tried to explain that the saying is about pigs... She gave me an even more evil eye... if that's possible...maybe I'm just exaggerating like so much of this thread.
Oh I missed that part about it being an AT so he has less HP and thus he couldn't DESTROY you. LOL If you read my reply which you must have missed, assuming you read and don't have this translated for you by a trunk monkey, you should have been able to put 2+2 together.

Did you miss that? I made it bold so you can see it...

You claim to have hung with and be able to pull on a 2010 Camaro SS with auto transmission with a measly STOCK 400hp and 410 lf-ft of torque.... That's just crazy talk Vinbait. Stop making me laugh. It hurts too much.

Before you panic and try to tell me that 2+2=4, lets put it all together in a sandwich we can all take a nice juicy bite from. You raced, a 2010 Camaro SS with an auto transmission (guess whether or not your friend is a good driver is IRRELEVANT since any monkey can push the right pedal. MMM sounds like a turkey sandwich is being made. How about some mayonnaise? You went on to say that "The manual camaro ss has alot more horses" your words VinB8 not mine. Therefore you were able to beat him? Yet didn't you also say that he had intake, exhaust, and ECU modded? SO... that won't get "you friend" back the 26 HP and 10 lb-ft of torque lost to his poor choice of transmission? HMMMM... that tastes like mustard. This is turning into a great sandwich. Thanks VinB8 for sharing your story. I hope you realize that your friend is probably having the last laugh while you go around telling people you can pull on him. LOL. That is the oldest rick in the book. Next time he's gonna want to race for money.... Guess who the is gonna be then? I'll let you know now... YOU! Maybe you won't be such a sucker and get to save some money instead of losing your money and pride and going all the way home.

Don't worry. I'm not ducking you. memory card is downloading now.. Daddy's gonna show you how the big dogs roll.
Now I know why your wife left the room. LOL
Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"She made the run from San Diego to San Francisco in just under 4:15"

I am not sure I can make that from Lindberg to the San Francisco side of the Bay Bridge on Southwest in that kind of time.

Thanks for the clear explaination of your mods to the E55. Sounds delicious. I thought the size of the turbo might make up for the distance from the intake, and it was very clever of you to put a pop-off valve by the throttle body. I admire your desire to make the systems work with the AMG computers. As hardware, the AMG processors are rather clunky and slow, but that has not stopped them from writing almost elegant code that keeps up the the engine and chassis. I wish they would share their code instead of making owners figure it out on their own.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's my E55 AMG that I "supposedly" own.

Feel free to go to my AudiWorld Garage here. There you can see pics of the balanced/blueprinted block that we built to handle the extra boost we hit it with back in 2002 when I got bored with the stock power. There is also a shot of the Kleemann supercharger/header install. But yeah, even that got boring so I went BIG and went the custom turbo route. Good for just a little bit of fun and enough boost to blow every weak point of a 2.0TFSI apart.

Not that the Godfather needs to prove anything to you. No need to let you go to sleep a "doubting Thomas". My AMG is known internationally, not because I post videos on YouTube. But because it is the world's FIRST TURBOCHARGED W210 E55 AMG. I'd invite you to come discuss this in the AMG Private Lounge but it's closed to non AMG owners who can't prove they are the original owner of their AMG (ie VIN and registrations) (no pun intended on your nickname).

I know you are probably crying... "No way dude, you are a liar!"

Yeah yeah, but a little K04 housing and all, while a nice improvement over the puny K03, would fit inside my Garret GT4294 Ball Bearing turbo.

A picture's worth a thousand words.

That takes the place of what used to be the rear muffler.

I could direct you to my online portfolio of the several hundred photos/videos of the engineering that went into it. But there is no need to . Suffice to say that I have more invested in the modifications alone on that car than a B8 A4 S-Line with all your listed mods cost, forget the $90k for the car alone. (that was when a dollar was actually worth something.) Still don't believe I own it... Oh well... I don't feel like wasting my time.

But then again, if you have removed your rear seat as you said in your prior thread about removing weight and you still feel confident that you can take me on a track, (I don't waste time or risk peoples lives on the street) bring your pink slip and your A4 out to California, ANY TRACK, ANY TIME. I'll even use some frequent flier miles to book your flight home. Or you can have your friend bring his modified 2010 Camaro SS auto out as well. Just make sure he brings his pink slip as well and I'll get him a flight home too. Let me know, because I'm going to call Classic Car Storage and ask if they have any open bays for some new toys. My garages are already full with more fun toys. Show up in a Hennessy Viper GTS and I may have to beg your forgiveness and bow down to you... Just saying... Even big dogs know when there is someone bigger on the block.

Just don't come out with the seats removed, sitting on milk crates, because that would scare me.

Don't think I don't love Audi's I do I do. But my Avant is my grocery-getter and sometime track taxi... while my wife would "permit" me to get an S4 and modify it.... There is no S4 Avant here. And she strictly forbade me from acquiring any more 2 door cars so I can't get no R8 loving... I'll live since the R8 V10 is too slow and would require at least a STaSIS supercharger to put a smile on my face. And that MTM twin turbo R8 with RS6 transplant just plain makes me drool.

Anyways the point was never to make you post a video. That's juvenile and proves nothing since it can so easily be faked. Go get some time slips from a track and you will learn to shift in the process.

Feel free to post more trash talk if you like but I am done with this thread... pointless waste of my time. You need to go re-watch the video that ScottyUK posted in your thread awhile ago... It's way easier than reading my long winded posts and you can laugh instead of getting your panties in a bunch. Feel free to hit me up with a PM if you want me to read anything further you want to say. Don't worry I'm not putting you on my ignore list, yet.
You have alot of nice cars and i respect that. im not as wealthy as you obviously and cant blow over 200 grand on cars and mods like you. and i dont appreciate you talking all that bull about me. I should of known better not to post something like this because someone like you would start talking trash. didnt your parents teach you any maners as a young boy? maybe you are a young boy playing with his fathers computer i dont know. you need your wife to leave the room? lol thats funny shh i guess i know who wears the pants in that relationship. any way im not gonna wast my preacious time sending rediculous messages to a ridiculous person. im actually laughing as im typing this message. dont get upset its ok. you sure know how to wast your time typing nonsense about sandwitches and mustard and midgets lol. you need help buddy. lol
Old 07-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Feel free to go to my AudiWorld Garage here. There you can see pics of the balanced/blueprinted block that we built to handle the extra boost we hit it with back in 2002 when I got bored with the stock power. There is also a shot of the Kleemann supercharger/header install. But yeah, even that got boring so I went BIG and went the custom turbo route. Good for just a little bit of fun and enough boost to blow every weak point of a 2.0TFSI apart.

Not that the Godfather needs to prove anything to you. No need to let you go to sleep a "doubting Thomas". My AMG is known internationally, not because I post videos on YouTube. But because it is the world's FIRST TURBOCHARGED W210 E55 AMG. I'd invite you to come discuss this in the AMG Private Lounge but it's closed to non AMG owners who can't prove they are the original owner of their AMG (ie VIN and registrations) (no pun intended on your nickname).

Yeah yeah, but a little K04 housing and all, while a nice improvement over the puny K03, would fit inside my Garret GT4294 Ball Bearing turbo.

I could direct you to my online portfolio of the several hundred photos/videos of the engineering that went into it. But there is no need to . Suffice to say that I have more invested in the modifications alone on that car than a B8 A4 S-Line with all your listed mods cost, forget the $90k for the car alone. (that was when a dollar was actually worth something.) Still don't believe I own it... Oh well... I don't feel like wasting my time.

But then again, if you have removed your rear seat as you said in your prior thread about removing weight and you still feel confident that you can take me on a track, (I don't waste time or risk peoples lives on the street) bring your pink slip and your A4 out to California, ANY TRACK, ANY TIME. I'll even use some frequent flier miles to book your flight home. Or you can have your friend bring his modified 2010 Camaro SS auto out as well. Just make sure he brings his pink slip as well and I'll get him a flight home too. Let me know, because I'm going to call Classic Car Storage and ask if they have any open bays for some new toys. My garages are already full with more fun toys. Show up in a Hennessy Viper GTS and I may have to beg your forgiveness and bow down to you... Just saying... Even big dogs know when there is someone bigger on the block.

Just don't come out with the seats removed, sitting on milk crates, because that would scare me.

Don't think I don't love Audi's I do I do. But my Avant is my grocery-getter and sometime track taxi... while my wife would "permit" me to get an S4 and modify it.... There is no S4 Avant here. And she strictly forbade me from acquiring any more 2 door cars so I can't get no R8 loving... I'll live since the R8 V10 is too slow and would require at least a STaSIS supercharger to put a smile on my face. And that MTM twin turbo R8 with RS6 transplant just plain makes me drool.

Anyways the point was never to make you post a video. That's juvenile and proves nothing since it can so easily be faked. Go get some time slips from a track and you will learn to shift in the process.

Feel free to post more trash talk if you like but I am done with this thread... pointless waste of my time. You need to go re-watch the video that ScottyUK posted in your thread awhile ago... It's way easier than reading my long winded posts and you can laugh instead of getting your panties in a bunch. Feel free to hit me up with a PM if you want me to read anything further you want to say. Don't worry I'm not putting you on my ignore list, yet.
im not gonna talk trash because i know better not to. il be the more mature person and not talk supidity like you do. honestly if i had that modded benz you have i wouldnt brag that much about it like you do. im sure its the fastest e55 in the world and thats cool. DILLIGAF?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh I missed that part about it being an AT so he has less HP and thus he couldn't DESTROY you. LOL If you read my reply which you must have missed, assuming you read and don't have this translated for you by a trunk monkey, you should have been able to put 2+2 together.

Did you miss that? I made it bold so you can see it...

You claim to have hung with and be able to pull on a 2010 Camaro SS with auto transmission with a measly STOCK 400hp and 410 lf-ft of torque.... That's just crazy talk Vinbait. Stop making me laugh. It hurts too much.

Before you panic and try to tell me that 2+2=4, lets put it all together in a sandwich we can all take a nice juicy bite from. You raced, a 2010 Camaro SS with an auto transmission (guess whether or not your friend is a good driver is IRRELEVANT since any monkey can push the right pedal. MMM sounds like a turkey sandwich is being made. How about some mayonnaise? You went on to say that "The manual camaro ss has alot more horses" your words VinB8 not mine. Therefore you were able to beat him? Yet didn't you also say that he had intake, exhaust, and ECU modded? SO... that won't get "you friend" back the 26 HP and 10 lb-ft of torque lost to his poor choice of transmission? HMMMM... that tastes like mustard. This is turning into a great sandwich. Thanks VinB8 for sharing your story. I hope you realize that your friend is probably having the last laugh while you go around telling people you can pull on him. LOL. That is the oldest rick in the book. Next time he's gonna want to race for money.... Guess who the is gonna be then? I'll let you know now... YOU! Maybe you won't be such a sucker and get to save some money instead of losing your money and pride and going all the way home.

Don't worry. I'm not ducking you. memory card is downloading now.. Daddy's gonna show you how the big dogs roll.
you are like a 13 year old boy grow up lol. just because you claim you have a very fast e55 doesnt give you the right to act like a 13 year old.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the reason why i posted the video was so people can get an idea how the k04 b8 performes. if you think my video is fake fine believe what you want. then your e55 pics may be fake to then. you could of cut and pasted.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My dad can beat both of you guys' dads up
Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

My AMG is known internationally, not because I post videos on YouTube. But because it is the world's FIRST TURBOCHARGED W210 E55 AMG. I'd invite you to come discuss this in the AMG Private Lounge but it's closed to non AMG owners who can't prove they are the original owner of their AMG (ie VIN and registrations) (no pun intended on your nickname).
You know, if you drove a recent model lambo or f-car, at least you'd have some justification for being such an arrogant @ss. Driving a 15 year old family sedan (amg or not) doesn't quite cut it, I'm afraid.

As for it being the first turbocharged e210 E55, there's probably a good reason for that. Who in their right mind would would want to turbo an old family car (especially when you can get a more recent version with a factory supercharged engine?) As they say, a fool and his money...

Quick Reply: modded 2010 a4 b8 k04 vs modded 2010 camaro ss auto