A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Most user friendly true lossless (FLAC) app for transferring fileto ipod via MacOS???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most user friendly true lossless (FLAC) app for transferring fileto ipod via MacOS???

Not very tech (at all) but want to use FLAC for high-end sound system in new ride (A4 Avant). What is the most straightforward means of getting tunes onto ipod? FLAC player app on the Apple store? other? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will not hear a difference between a high bitrate MP3 and a lossless rip in your car. I use FLAC for my main home system and MP3 for the ipod and other rooms where it's mainly background. Going lossless will require far more storage space on the ipod and will also shorten battery life between charges(not a problem if used just in the car)

Assuming you are using itunes for the ipod, you can use Apple Lossless (ALAC) in itunes if you want lossless. Try ripping some familiar tunes in MP3 at say,320 and ALAC and do a listening test. You will not be able to tell the difference. If you park the car in a quiet spot, turn it off, close your eyes and listen very intently with very good ears, I still doubt you will hear a difference in a car system.

If you do want to rip to FLAC on a MAC, google it and you will find suitable rippers. Max is one that comes to mind.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

dBpoweramp is the best converter I know of. Enjoy!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mellowman
dBpoweramp is the best converter I know of. Enjoy!
I agree and also use it, but he's using a MAC.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jfo
You will not hear a difference between a high bitrate MP3 and a lossless rip in your car. I use FLAC for my main home system and MP3 for the ipod and other rooms where it's mainly background. Going lossless will require far more storage space on the ipod and will also shorten battery life between charges(not a problem if used just in the car)

Assuming you are using itunes for the ipod, you can use Apple Lossless (ALAC) in itunes if you want lossless. Try ripping some familiar tunes in MP3 at say,320 and ALAC and do a listening test. You will not be able to tell the difference. If you park the car in a quiet spot, turn it off, close your eyes and listen very intently with very good ears, I still doubt you will hear a difference in a car system.

If you do want to rip to FLAC on a MAC, google it and you will find suitable rippers. Max is one that comes to mind.
If you do switch to the Apple Lossles format, iTunes will allow you to transform on the fly to 128 kbps AAC when you sync the device (iPod's and iPhone's). This will give you the best of both worlds and you don't have to juggle duplicate files.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing to be gained by using a large data file on the iPod in an Audi. There is a DSP (digital signal processor) in the iPod that makes a digital to analog conversion. The analog signal is then sent via coppertone to the input of the AMI (Audi Musical Interface.) The AMI sends the sound on coppertone to the MMI (MultiMedia Interface.) The MMI has a DSP that first uses an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) to allow digital manipulation of the sound data. It then ships out the digital file on the MOST (Media Oriented System Transport) fiber optic cable to the power amplifier in the boot. The amplifier has a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) that recovers the waveform and presents it to the speakers.

Using the SD slot(s) on the dash allows the injection of the program material into the MMI DSP. The signal remains digital (and noise immune) to the amp in the boot where a digital to analog conversion is done at the "end of the line."

A properly encoded MP3 file should be enjoyable by critical listeners. Subject failure can occur with symphony and opera, but only be noticed if the listener is intimate with the source material.

Last edited by Moviela; 04-14-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would suggest that you convert to MP3 Variable Bit Rate V-0 Extreme.
As an audio engineer, there has been much discussion in my world about this subject. At the end of the day VBR Extreme will give an overall better performance than a 320 Constant Bit Rate.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

I've got my iTunes set at 160 kbps VBR and the quality is very good, file sizes are reasonable.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

i have the B&O system and the memory car and cd player by far sound a lot better. i think gets lost in the conection, it would be nice to have a digital conection to portable mp3 players ;-)