A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Mud Flaps on Your A4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Splash Guards on Your A4?

I am just curious to see how many have these on their A4. They do serve a great purpose as long as they dont make the car look like a truck of some sort

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 10-19-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
I am just curious to see how many have these on their A4. They do serve a great purpose as long as they dont make the car look like a truck of some sort
I have them only on the front.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Previous generations of Audi cars had the fenders, the sill and the bumpers flared appropriately to avoid splashes. You can see such design cues in BMW and Mercedes. I consider these subtle design details that many other manufacturers simply don't get.
The latest Audi designs don't carry this forward. I guess the current design chief either thinks that this would affect his designs negatively or simply doesn't have such an attention to details.
I'm inclined to believe that it's the latter. For instance, look at the modified sills of the S-line. The extension is glued or bolted to the regular sill. Any respectable designer would design the sill such that it has a piece that can be replaced with. Otherwise, this is one step close to the bolt-on sills of Toyota Corolla and Mazda 3.

Nissan/Infinity seem to have a slightly different approach - design the car such that it needs mud guards so that you can sell them as an add-on to most customers, hence the body-colored plastic pieces they snap on the sills and the rear bumper. I don't like this either, but it's a lot better than black rubber flaps. I hate the idea of ruining the design to make the extra buck.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have them on the front and back of my 1998 A4 and will have them put on the 2011 A4 avant (Red with Titanium package and B&O stereo). Here in MN with the winters, snow, etc they have been a great help and fit nicely with the looks of the car.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I considered them since I live in Quebec, but they don't look very good and need to be screwed in the metal of the car.

I used to have them on my B5, but last Winter, I did not miss them on my B8.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

any pics for those who have them?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree with Turbo Freak that they just don't look right on the car and. I did have all the post wheel well quarter panels clear bra'd and haven't noticed any hits in those areas anyways. I did get a rock hit below the rear door on one of the S-Line side valance/skirt pieces. Pretty hard to see though.

I regularly take my Avant down a very potholed stretch of dirt/gravel road to my favorite spot for sea kayaking and have never had anything kick up. Granted I drive that road pretty slow (5-25 mph) as the potholes are sometimes 1-2 feet deep and need to be dodged at all costs. Even trucks crawl slow on that road though. Maybe one of those Ford Raptors could rip through there....maybe
Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
any pics for those who have them?
Here is a link to the Old Dog's Garage Album. Double-click on the pic to get a larger view.

https://forums.audiworld.com/garage/...82-OldDog.html

The reason for getting them in the front btw was to cut down on the amount of snow and wintery slush that was being thrown up along the front doors. Cuts it down by quite a bit. If I lived in a snowless state/province I probably wouldn't have them.