A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

My MMI didn't turn on... ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My MMI didn't turn on... ?

This morning i drove my 2009 A4 2.0t to work.. its a Prem Plus with Nav. and everything was fine.. radio, bluetooth, nav, etc all worked.

i got in the car at lunch time... and the MMI screen didnt turn on... driver information screen showed only my speed.. bluetooth, radio, voice command, rearview camera were all down.

i stopped at a light.. turn off the car.. turned it back on... and still none of the electronics worked.

the car was off for about 30 minutes while i was eating.. and it was fine and working again.. ive driven it 4 times since and it is still working fine.

i called the audi dealer to get an appt but their timing is going to be hard and its 60 miles away from me.

anyone know whats up with my car? or whats going on? is there a way to reboot the system.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I picked up my car on July 31st.. its worked fine since, until today.

I have 10,600 miles on it.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
I picked up my car on July 31st.. its worked fine since, until today.

I have 10,600 miles on it.
You know, of course, that it will always work fine when you bring the car to service. Guaranteed. It knows.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen to me recently too. I have about 12k miles. I turned on the car and nothing came on the screen. Turned it off, then all was well.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you take your car to the dealer? Did it throw any codes?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, I just shrugged it off for the moment. Will bring it up at the 15k service soon though. Another interesting incident that I posted about a couple of months ago may be related. Basically all my hvac lights would flash and light up at random like some kind of space ship. It never accurately displayed the settings. I brought it to the dealer, and they didn't believe me at first. Then a day later they told me I was one of the first to report this, but audi is aware of it and is working on a fix. 1 day after getting the car back (nothing was done to it), the problem vanished and was back to normal. Audi's do seem to have their fair share of electrical gremlins. My last A4 would come up with ABS or check engine lights for a day or 2 and then go away. Dealer always had a BS excuse.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

im ready to punch Dorothy (my car) in the headlight..

im used to my e46 bmw. I put the fan on setting 2, temp at 72F. it blows out 72F air continuously.. never changes. just keeps going like that.

the audi keeps raising and lowering the fan speed.. and if thinks the car is over 72F... it freaking turns on the COLD AIR..
it was 41F the other morning.. my heat was on 72 F.. fan speed of 5. it turns up the fan and starts putting in cold air... dear god.

i never use the auto mode.. i dont like the car to automatically climate control like that.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check your MMI manual for the instructions on how to reboot the system (it's a computer, not a stereo). Just cycling the power won't do it. This may be all you need to do.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've had this happen on two different occassions..

The first time it happened, after about 4 months of ownership, it scared the crap out of me.

I immediately restarted the car and the MMI still did not power up.

I restarted it again, and all was normal.

The second time it happened, a few months later, I left the car running and rebooted the MMI and it worked fine. After that, all was normal.

It's a computer. Sometimes this stuff just happens.

It's scary but 99% of the time it's not serious at all and as long as it reboots, there isn't anything your dealer can, or should, do about it.

Now if the MMI fails and will not reboot after a few attempts at using the reboot procedure or multiple restarts, then take it to the dealer for diagnosis.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There's no real "full manual control" of a B8 climate control

What you are trying to do is, actually, counterproductive which is why you're not getting the results you want.

The automatic climate control is designed to maintain specific interior temperatures. The more you interfere with it doing the job it's trying to do, the worse it's going to get.

The best thing you can do is set the temp you want and let it do it's job. It will take getting used to. I had to get used to it because I've always hated automatic climate control.

But I DID get used to it and the B8 unit actually does a really great job if you just quit messing with it.

Quick Reply: My MMI didn't turn on... ?