A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

nav worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m112abcxyz
looks good. no wires? how's that?
You mean my pics? The portable has about a 4 hour battery run-time, so if it's charged you don't need to plug it in. If you do need to plug it in the wire comes down from the back of the unit and straight down the dash to the power-outlet.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:24 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Around here....

...your car will get broken into if there is a "suction cup ring" on the windshield or if the mount is left in place. Even if your Garmin is safe in your house, your car will have broken glass and they'll have rifled through your car...
Old 03-28-2009, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CEB
...your car will get broken into if there is a "suction cup ring" on the windshield or if the mount is left in place. Even if your Garmin is safe in your house, your car will have broken glass and they'll have rifled through your car...
If you mount the portable on the MMI screen like I showed above, it does not leave a suction ring. You take the unit AND the mounting bracket inside with you. Problem solved.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

It would cost much more than just a GPS receiver..there are other hardware upgrade that would have to be made too
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you want to have 2 screens. That looks kinda tacky. I wouldnt do that to a 40k car. Then you have to explain to your passengers you didnt want to spend 2k for a factory nav, so you have a 3" screen???

stop being cheap people, and in 2012 or later when you are going to get rid of it, it will be a harder sale. even a ford taurus has a nav these days.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Derk
It would cost much more than just a GPS receiver..there are other hardware upgrade that would have to be made too
I think you're replying to me. Why more then just software and a GPS reciver?

My $400 phone has full GPS that syncs with my contacts and has turn by turn voice commands. I think you'd find Audi makes about 80% profit on that option.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nemesisa6
why would you want to have 2 screens. That looks kinda tacky. I wouldnt do that to a 40k car. Then you have to explain to your passengers you didnt want to spend 2k for a factory nav, so you have a 3" screen???

stop being cheap people, and in 2012 or later when you are going to get rid of it, it will be a harder sale. even a ford taurus has a nav these days.
If the NAV had been installed in my particular car when they built it I would've bought it, but this was the only S-Line not-yet-spoken for coming to this region, so alas, I bought a portable unit for the four times per year I use NAV. Having the S-Line package was more important for me than having NAV.

Besides, I'm a cheap person and I already went cheap by buying a $40K car, so whatever.

Last edited by Toecutter; 03-29-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default What I get here is that this is totally personal. . .

. . .I think the add on, aftermarket units are GREAT, in rental cars.

I think the add on, aftermarket units look something like the aftermarket add on air conditioners that used to be put in cars that didn't come with factory A/C (god, I'm old.)

The integration, the voice, the backup camera, parktronic, etc -- and all the other reasons cited above (in favor) ring true to me.

I work with people who have both kinds -- the only thing we all agree on is that NAV is no longer a cool toy, but a must have feature.

If you want factory it is easy to justify the cost for the whole package of things you get.

If you want nav and want it at a lower cost and don't mind having two screens or mounting, dismounting and plugging in, etc -- it is easy to justify the add on aftermarket units.

Hell, I guess even the phones will get the job done.

There is, from reading this thread no logic or reasonable answer -- just like there is no such thing as common sense. For just like "common sense" it is what makes sense to a party of one: YOU.

Drive it like you live.

Me? I'll take the factory unit every day (I've had both -- never to return to the add on units; and, I have no reason to think if you get the add on units that you must not be "thinking correctly.")

Drive it like YOU live (as if you didn't hear me the first time.)
Old 03-29-2009, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't get nav for one simple reason. 99% of the driving in my A4 will be my commute to and from work. I have a fairly long commute consisting of curvy mountain roads so I'll get plenty of time to enjoy the car. We do have built in nav in our Pilot and it's great when driving in unfamiliar places.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM

Default perhaps too early...

I understand that most, if not all, of you are probably still on warranty, but has anyone tried to buy the GPS receiver and/or OEM products to install?

Quick Reply: nav worth it?