A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

nav worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the photos of the mounting of the nuvi. Could you please give us the nuvi model number. ... Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2 cents

I find the nav MAKES the interior on the A4. It slides everything lower, below the gear shift, includes the big MMI button. I don't think i'll personally have it any other way.

Again as other posters said... it's YOUR car.

For those who are looking for OEM pieces... it's going to cost you ALOT more then 2k for everything (unit, dash components, wiring harnesseSSS) you would pretty much have to rip out the center console and start from scratch!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default NavLess

I use a phone mount witht he garmin so it does not leave a ring.

I think if you travel for living to new places its worthwhile.

But if you know where your going most of the time and can live without the toy factor then its a personal choice.

I read that built in Navs can hurt a resale value if the technology is outdated and connot be upgraded. Is a 6-7 year old NAV really better than the latest Garmin? NOt really.

We have a nice Garmin that my wife can take in her car, mine or give to my son. WE can take it on a plane and use in a rental.

In texas we left the suction cup in the rental and it got taken. We took the garmin out so they did not get it.

I have NOT ordered NAV in 6 cars and thats well over 10 grand in non NAV purchases.

As prices come down it gets easier to make a choice.

Things I can live without are Adaptive cruise (we have it on Toyota van, and if it was not bundled I would not get it), parktronic, DVD, Adaptive suspensions or steering, and black headliners. Regarding the headliners, I never really noticed what color mine is. The black is nice.

I like comfort seats, mt, and upgraded stereos. I don't get sport supensions as it degrades the ride quality. If you want a sportier ride, get a sportier car!

I just moved into a more urban environment from "horse counrty" and drive less now, and do so in better lit conditions. I have two cars with Xenons and love them, but if there are street lights do I really want to spend 2k on lights going forward? I love the audi LED day time lights as I love my current "Angel Eyes" on my current ride, but if the cost is that much more if I have to buy things I don't want, can I live without it? Given my more urban drive do I want to continue with Manual tranny on next purchase?

Its all personal taste and how one wants to spend money. No right or wrong answers here!!!! The older I get the less I want to spend on cars.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default question

For those with integrated Nav units. Can you modify the route or even start the navigation while you are moving? This is the biggest reason why I prefer an aftermarket unit. And also, any idea how much the map upgrades cost?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default While you are driving. . .

Press the talk button and say, "Navigation"

Say "Navigate to YOUR DESTINATION"

or

Say "Previous Destinations"

or

Say "Cancel route guidance"

or

You can dial in (manually) your destination -- all while the car is moving.

It lacks, currently, the ability to command, by voice, the input of the destination.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Press the talk button and say, "Navigation"

Say "Navigate to YOUR DESTINATION"

or

Say "Previous Destinations"

or

Say "Cancel route guidance"

or

You can dial in (manually) your destination -- all while the car is moving.

It lacks, currently, the ability to command, by voice, the input of the destination.
Something the 3G MMI adds...being able to input NAV destination by voice command. Pretty useful.

Although I have to admit, I'm glad messing with the NAV while the car is in motion just gives you a harmless warning screen that can be dismissed. My friend's G35x from a few years back just refuses to let you do anything with the NAV while the car is in D.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bakin1
For those with integrated Nav units. Can you modify the route or even start the navigation while you are moving? This is the biggest reason why I prefer an aftermarket unit. And also, any idea how much the map upgrades cost?
The only difference while moving is that if you want to enter a completely new address the system will pop up a warning screen (saying you really should concentrate on driving). After you press OK you can continue. This is the only difference I noticed moving vs parked.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cool, I might have gotten a NAV if I had known that. My parent's have a lexus, everything is grayed out once you are in motion.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It may change but the cost of 3G MMI in the A4 Allroad is the same costs as the DVD based satnav in the other A4's.

A lot more functionailty for no more money
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Not worth it for me

I live in Bend, Oregon and previously had an RS6 with nav and rarely, if ever used it. When I traded that car in and got an a4 avant I didn't get nav... instead I got a refurbished TomTom for $110 with a touchscreen. I have used it once in the last 2 months on a trip to Portland....my car is a lease, I just didn't see the value of "renting" a nav unit for 3 years...

And... why doesn't audi do a touchscreen and improve the interface...it's just really bad.

Quick Reply: nav worth it?