A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Need to replace OEM rotors w/ pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to replace OEM rotors w/ pads?

Howdy all. I have a 2010 A4 quattro with the sport package. About 39k miles.

The brake sensor just tripped a few days ago. I called the dealer and he told me I need to replace the pads (duh) and the rotors as well (huh?). I checked with two independent shops and they recommended replacing the rotors with the pads. Basically, they told me the OE rotors are thin and don't last long.

If I replace the rotors with another set of OE ones, this will just happen in another 40k miles. So I'm looking at aftermarket rotors. I have basically 2 questions.
1. Is it true the OE rotors have to be replaced with the pads?
2. Recommendations for spirited street driving pads & rotors? I'm leaning towards and EBC kit.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBulb
Howdy all. I have a 2010 A4 quattro with the sport package. About 39k miles.

The brake sensor just tripped a few days ago. I called the dealer and he told me I need to replace the pads (duh) and the rotors as well (huh?). I checked with two independent shops and they recommended replacing the rotors with the pads. Basically, they told me the OE rotors are thin and don't last long.

If I replace the rotors with another set of OE ones, this will just happen in another 40k miles. So I'm looking at aftermarket rotors. I have basically 2 questions.
1. Is it true the OE rotors have to be replaced with the pads?
2. Recommendations for spirited street driving pads & rotors? I'm leaning towards and EBC kit.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff
Before I replace any rotors I check them for thickness and run out. If they have greater than 50% wear (min and max thickness is on the rotor) I replace them. If not and they are flat then just replace pads. I don't turn rotors as if they are scored then just replace. If you want to pay the premium then go with either OEM or a name brand set of pads and rotors. The fronts will be easy to replace but the rears require you to use software to retract the E-brake system.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default I just went through the same thing

I have a 2009 with 33,000 moderately-driven miles. I was very surprised when my dealership told me I needed to replace both my pads and rotors. I remember in my teens I owned American cars which I drove 60,000 miles before I needed new brakes. Then, I would just slap a new pair of pads on (not even resurfacing of the rotors) and I was good to go.

Like you, my dealership told me that the rotors were too thin to resurface. They quoted me a price of $855 to replace the front rotors and pads, and about $650 to do the rears. I found that price too high, so I went aftermarket.

I went to ECS Tuning and ordered Euro Ceramic pads by Akebono, and Meyle rotors. I had the fronts done a couple of weeks ago, and am having the rears done this week (all by an independent shop). Including the parts, it cost me $204 to have the fronts done, and the rears should be similar.

The ceramic pads definitely have a different feel to them -- less grabby at first, but more resistant to fade -- with the added benefit of virtually no dust.

I expect these will be the first and last new brakes I'll put on my car. By the time these wear out, I'll be ready for a new car.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you do mostly city driving?

My driving is 80+% highway, and I'm at 79,000 miles and still on original brakes. They grab very well still.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm at 25K and was just told that I will need brakes within the year. I think this is crazy since I had my B7 for 80K and never even put new pads on it.

Not sure if Audi has changed their pads and rotors or what but not very pleased that I'm going to be changing brakes every 25K miles.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by efett
Not sure if Audi has changed their pads ...
Audi did change to ceramic pads in 2011. Since you had a B7, you will know... my B5 had visible brake dust in one day, I've never noticed it in my '11 B8. Though I'm surprised yours are wearing so fast, I didn't think ceramics were known for fast wear.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Could it be driving style?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dscline
Audi did change to ceramic pads in 2011. Since you had a B7, you will know... my B5 had visible brake dust in one day, I've never noticed it in my '11 B8. Though I'm surprised yours are wearing so fast, I didn't think ceramics were known for fast wear.
I thought Audi uses OEM semi-metallic brake pads, not ceramic.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I thought Audi uses OEM semi-metallic brake pads, not ceramic.
I've read multiple times that they switched to ceramic in the '11 models, at least for A4s. I can't confirm it personally, but I can say that I've never had noticeable dust in the year I've had this car. Granted, it's never gone more than 2-3 weeks w/o a wash, but the b5 wheels started showing dust after a day.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dscline
I've read multiple times that they switched to ceramic in the '11 models, at least for A4s. I can't confirm it personally, but I can say that I've never had noticeable dust in the year I've had this car. Granted, it's never gone more than 2-3 weeks w/o a wash, but the b5 wheels started showing dust after a day.
Interesting...I replaced a 2008 Avant with a 2012 a year ago. My '08 wheels were always plagued with brake dust. My 2012 - nothing. I did not know they changed the pad material but glad they did.

Quick Reply: Need to replace OEM rotors w/ pads?