A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Need to replace OEM rotors w/ pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dscline
I've read multiple times that they switched to ceramic in the '11 models, at least for A4s. I can't confirm it personally, but I can say that I've never had noticeable dust in the year I've had this car. Granted, it's never gone more than 2-3 weeks w/o a wash, but the b5 wheels started showing dust after a day.
Perhaps the A4 was different for 2011. I do know that my 2013 A6 pads are semi-metallic and while there's some dust, it's not nearly as bad as other older cars with disc brakes that I've owned.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ports
Could it be driving style?
I do like a festive drive now and then.

I've heard from a local shop that its due to the rain sensing wipers and that does the new brake thing that keeps water from building up on your rotors. Dont know if its true or not but could be a valid reason, my parents just had their rotors and pads replaced at 35K on their Q7.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by efett
I've heard from a local shop that its due to the rain sensing wipers and that does the new brake thing that keeps water from building up on your rotors. Dont know if its true or not but could be a valid reason, my parents just had their rotors and pads replaced at 35K on their Q7.
You know, it's good form to use a smiley if you're joking. You are joking, right? If not, please let us know the name of the shop so we can avoid it.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You know, it's good form to use a smiley if you're joking. You are joking, right? If not, please let us know the name of the shop so we can avoid it.
Wait.. how do the little eyebrow windshield wipers from my headlights reach the brake rotors?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here's my update.

I broke down & ordered ECS slotted rotors & EBC greenstuff pads yesterday. I checked the rotors and theres about 2mm of wear. That's using my calibrated fingers, so it not exact. I'll mic them when they are off. So the OE rotors do wear like a b!tch.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Nope dead serious. I didnt take it too seriously when I was told that. I didnt think Audi had that feature, I know Mercedes do. So guessing by your reply the Audis definitely dont. lol
Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dscline
I've read multiple times that they switched to ceramic in the '11 models, at least for A4s. I can't confirm it personally, but I can say that I've never had noticeable dust in the year I've had this car. Granted, it's never gone more than 2-3 weeks w/o a wash, but the b5 wheels started showing dust after a day.
I can say that my wife's 2011 Avant produces much less brake dust than any Audi I've every owned. It's on par with the low dust ceramic pads I've used in the past. My 2013 S4, however, is more like a normal German car as it will dust up in a few hours on the road.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CharlieG
I can say that my wife's 2011 Avant produces much less brake dust than any Audi I've every owned. It's on par with the low dust ceramic pads I've used in the past. My 2013 S4, however, is more like a normal German car as it will dust up in a few hours on the road.
Perhaps they changed back to semi-metallic after 2011 - my 2013 A6 for example. In researching different pads, it appears there's some trade offs; while ceramic pads produce less brake dust and last longer, stopping effort is greater when cold than with semi-metallics - not a positive for everyday driving. If that wasn't the case than it would seem that all manufacturers would be including OEM ceramic pads on all new cars. While the average driver might not like them, enthusiasts might appreciate the advantages of ceramic pads and be willing to live with the grip trade off.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely agree with you. I've swapped twice in the past to low dust pads (once on my 98 A4 and once on my 04 S4) and would not do it again. It just doesn't feel the same and even if I didn't really lose any stopping performance, it felt that way from behind the wheel. I'll live with the dust and cleaning that goes along with it.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by efett
I got the same warning at my delivery, that leaving the rain sensor active (when it's not raining) would wear out the breaks. It is explained in the manual that when it senses rain, the electronic applies the brakes lightly from time to time to keep the brakes dry. But it will require a major bug in the programming if it does that even when the wipers are not activated.
(Anyway I try to remember to switch it off when not needed.)

Quick Reply: Need to replace OEM rotors w/ pads?