A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Neighbor keeps hitting my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neighbor keeps hitting my car

We live in a condo, so we park in a lot. I have an elderly couple next door and they park next to me. They are sweet people and the wife recently had a stroke and is now in a wheel chair. We live in the back of the units and they are in the front, so I haven't actually seen the damage being done. But I am 99.9% sure it's them. Their car is a big white Lincoln or similar. There are about 4 white marks on my door on the passenger side. I always back into my spot and their passenger side is where she gets in. I know he has a hard time maneuvering the wheelchair to get her into the car, but he needs to pull the car out and then let her in. I was letting it go because the marks appeared as though I might be able to buff them out, but now there is now paint missing from my passenger handle which means it took a good whack.

I've asked friends if I should say something, but they all say that unless I see it happening, then no. But none of them own an Audi

I try to park as far to the other side as possible, but that's not fair to the other neighbor either. I don't want her to have to squeeze into her car because I'm afraid to park in the middle of my spot.

So.....if it was your car, would you say something? I'd basically be accusing them of something I haven't seen, but it's getting worse. It went from 1 mark to 4 and now paint off the handle. I would have my husband park the black Audi there to see if it happens to him, but then we'd have 2 damaged cars. But it would prove it better.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would actually pull in the spot and park as close as possible to their car. This way, they have to pull it out first. Sucky situation but good luck.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old, sick or not they should respect other peoples stuff. I would listen for them to leave the watch to see what happens. If it does confront them about it. Maybe talk to the property management together to see if the will install a handicap space for them. Very easy to do. I am a asphalt contractor and I get calls all the time to paint handicap parking stalls
Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

abS5,

I was thinking of that, but if he had to go into the car just to get something from that side, he would have to pull out just to get into that side? I don't know if I want to take the chance he won't try and squeeze in there.....

JBDin TX,

The handicap option a great idea. I think I mentioned it to them a long time ago when she first got sick, but they didn't want to bother with it because their car wasn't that far away. But if they ask for a spot, another neighbor has to move, so I don't know if they would want to do that. I will probably email management to inquire. Although I would assume the person wanting the spot would need to request it.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

Are there any non-assigned visitor spots where you could park? My complex reserves the spots closest to the building for residents, but has vistor spots further away. If one of my neighbors ever buys a large vehicle, I will start using a vacant visitor spot for fear of getting my car dinged.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Are there any non-assigned visitor spots where you could park? My complex reserves the spots closest to the building for residents, but has vistor spots further away. If one of my neighbors ever buys a large vehicle, I will start using a vacant visitor spot for fear of getting my car dinged.
We do have visitor or unassigned spots. But by the time I get home from work, all the ones close enough are taken. A lot of residents have 2 cars making it a rat race to get a good unreserved spot. My husband gets home around 4:30 and he usually gets a close spot, so I suppose we can switch when I got home, but again, we would only be exposing his car to the same fate. One of us has to park in our assigned spot, and because I'm usually the one home last, I get the spot. It's usually a good thing
Old 04-30-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trlyka
We do have visitor or unassigned spots. But by the time I get home from work, all the ones close enough are taken. A lot of residents have 2 cars making it a rat race to get a good unreserved spot. My husband gets home around 4:30 and he usually gets a close spot, so I suppose we can switch when I got home, but again, we would only be exposing his car to the same fate. One of us has to park in our assigned spot, and because I'm usually the one home last, I get the spot. It's usually a good thing
Buy a large enough piece of 3 to 4 inch foam, 4 cheap enclosed magnets and glue the magnets to the foam. When you get home hang this on the area they are hitting and it will protect you car and seeing this should let them know they are damaging your car.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There are door guard products if you search the net. I remmeber I once came a cross such a thing made from a pool noodle. It's basically two string loops that you can thread through the door handles and then each end over the noodle. When they see that, they will definitely get it.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great idea about the foam! I have to do something. I can't keep letting it happen. My poor door will look like hell if I don't do something.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I found another knick on the bottom of the door below to curve. I am getting more and more annoyed with it. Preventing it in the future is one thing, but I need to bring it to their attention as well. I can only imagine how much it would cose to re-paint. I really don't know if I should even ask him to pay for the repairs or what. I feel so bad for him since he has to deal with his wife every day. I know it can't be easy. But I have to put my heart aside and address this the best way I know how. I'll have to see if I can catch them on Sunday's going to church and see what happens or just say something before that

Quick Reply: Neighbor keeps hitting my car