A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Neighbor keeps hitting my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because somebody is old and in frail health, that does not give anybody the right to damage property.

You can't feel too sorry for anybody and have your nice car all dinged up.

Do it in a tactful manner. Preferably in a written letter. Dont be overly angry. Just be nice, but make your point.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
Just because somebody is old and in frail health, that does not give anybody the right to damage property.

You can't feel too sorry for anybody and have your nice car all dinged up.

Do it in a tactful manner. Preferably in a written letter. Dont be overly angry. Just be nice, but make your point.
I know, I know.....

Based on my relationship with them, I will address them verbally. I've know them for 6 + years and we talk often and I check on them now and then to see if they need anything......
Old 05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed for updates. It's a very difficult situation and I certainly know I would have to do something ASAP. Is moving out and buying a townhome with your own garage on the horizon? I couldn't go back to communal parking...
Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blake P
Subscribed for updates. It's a very difficult situation and I certainly know I would have to do something ASAP. Is moving out and buying a townhome with your own garage on the horizon? I couldn't go back to communal parking...
Yes.....We certainly want to move. But at this point, we want to pay off our debt before moving on. Plus the market isn't terrific. I came from a big house with a 3 car garage and a driveway big enough for 10 cars. So the communal parking thing isn't fun. Just having neighbors on all sides is annoying enough without dealing with this car door damage issue
Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, this is what car insurance is for. THeirs should pony up to have th damages fixed.
The only thing is how to keep it from continuing after the repair.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, I think it's very kind and caring of you to ask advice first before reacting. That's pretty smart. I know when it's our car getting damaged, we sometimes react too fast and speak out of anger instead of being constructive.

Now, I think you or the property manager should approach them. You have a right to bring up the topic, even if you didn't see it with your own eyes. It wouldn't be a mean or rude thing, just something like, "not sure if it's you or not, but someone has been dinging my door in the same spot and I want to make sure it isn't happening here. Could you maybe be a little more careful?" I don't see any harm in being friendly/neighborly by asking this favor. You have a right to protect your property, just as much as they do.

If you don't want to take it to that level, you could always hide somewhere in the parking area and watch them get in/out of their car. At that point, you could get the proof you need. I've done this in my parking structure. You can crouch down behind or in front of another car. They won't see you , but you can see them. You can also take a camera with you if you feel you want that type of proof.

Bottom line, it's your hard-earned money and you have a right to take care of it. If someone is doing you wrong, they need to be made acountable, even if in a nice way.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SFV A4
First off, I think it's very kind and caring of you to ask advice first before reacting. That's pretty smart. I know when it's our car getting damaged, we sometimes react too fast and speak out of anger instead of being constructive.

Now, I think you or the property manager should approach them. You have a right to bring up the topic, even if you didn't see it with your own eyes. It wouldn't be a mean or rude thing, just something like, "not sure if it's you or not, but someone has been dinging my door in the same spot and I want to make sure it isn't happening here. Could you maybe be a little more careful?" I don't see any harm in being friendly/neighborly by asking this favor. You have a right to protect your property, just as much as they do.

If you don't want to take it to that level, you could always hide somewhere in the parking area and watch them get in/out of their car. At that point, you could get the proof you need. I've done this in my parking structure. You can crouch down behind or in front of another car. They won't see you , but you can see them. You can also take a camera with you if you feel you want that type of proof.

Bottom line, it's your hard-earned money and you have a right to take care of it. If someone is doing you wrong, they need to be made acountable, even if in a nice way.

Good luck!
I could get the property manager involved. I can inquire with them how they would handle such a situation. I can say with confidence that it is happening here.

LOL. It's funny that you mention hiding to see what happens. Before I went to sleep last night, I was stewing about the situation and made it a point to do just that this weekend. Except I won't be hiding, just conveniently outside walking my dog when they go out. I know they only both go out on Sunday mornings to go to church....That's when I'll talk with him most likely.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Well, this is what car insurance is for. THeirs should pony up to have th damages fixed.
The only thing is how to keep it from continuing after the repair.
I was thinking of that too. I didn't know if insurance would cover something like this. I can only assume it would cost a couple thousand to have the paint fixed properly. Or I can use touch up, but I'd prefer to have it done right.

I think once he realizes what's happening, he will hopefully take care from it happening again. When I talk to him, I'm going to tell him he has to pull the car out before putting his wife in the car. There simply isn't enough room for the wheelchair and all the commotion involved with getting her into the car without their door flopping all the way open.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trlyka
I think once he realizes what's happening, he will hopefully take care from it happening again. When I talk to him, I'm going to tell him he has to pull the car out before putting his wife in the car. There simply isn't enough room for the wheelchair and all the commotion involved with getting her into the car without their door flopping all the way open.
trlyka, sorry to hear what has been happening there and have to applaud you for being so understanding thus far. However, something has to be done to avoids future dings. Maybe one additional suggestion would be to ask the gentleman to put door-edge mouldings/guards which may help to eliminate, or reduce any future damage to your car.

Good luck with this .
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah...don't hide in the bushes....that would be really weird. Imagine if you slipped or they saw you....what would happen to your relationship with them if they thought you were spying on them. LOL I have communal parking....but I'm such an *** that nobody would come within ten feet of my car.....heh heh. I have an old webcam that I put in my window pointing at my car that acts as a deterent. They all know it's there.
I like the noodle idea....did you try that? Pretty subtle but it gets the point across.

Quick Reply: Neighbor keeps hitting my car