A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New (official) member and a homelink dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (official) member and a homelink dilemma

Delayed posting any pics for about a week until I could give her a proper bath and wax. Nothing special about mine in terms of mods, but hopefully someone will enjoy the pics regardless!

As for the homelink issue; after all my testing I'm beginning to point my finger at the garage door opener rather than the car, but maybe someone else has ran into this and can help? I've searched pretty extensively here and google before posting, but here is my situation...

3 vehicles all using homelink on 2 different garage door openers (both the rolling code genie type)

Began with a reset on the opener units knowing I would hit the 7 remote limit if I didn't

First 2 vehicles (not including mine) programmed successfully to both doors

Mine programmed successfully to the second door (thankfully this is where I park)

Same procedures for programming second door followed for first door (minus the memory reset part of course), everything goes the same, button seems to program as normal, but can't get door to open using it.

Here's the interesting part: when hitting the programmed button I watch the "learn indicator led" on the garage door opener, and it blinks rapidly when the homelink button is pressed, as if the two are communicating but not good enough to open the door. When using the other door, the learn indicator led goes solid for a second

I've tried: starting over on the programming, swapping the battery in the training remote, repositioning my car closer to the first door opener unit, mapping the doors to different homelink buttons

Sorry for the lengthy post, but as I said I've searched heavily for this, and I think my situation to be unique. I'm ok for now, as the door I use is the one that did successfully map to my car, but this is sort of inconvenient. Anyone else have this issue or any tips for me?
Attached Images      
Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

More pics...
Attached Images   
Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have heard you have to do the non rolling code program first then go back and do the rolling code. Don't know if it will help, but worth a shot.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JetBlue
I have heard you have to do the non rolling code program first then go back and do the rolling code. Don't know if it will help, but worth a shot.
Yep it sounds like it is the rolling code thing. Mine did the same thing until I programmed it for the rolling code.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

i have the same color and model as your a4. dont know why but in the pics it seems your car is really high off the ground.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Another thing I've noticed (I have rolling codes) is after programming has been done, you have to press and hold the Homelink button in the overhead console a few seconds to get the garage door to react, particularly when opening in my case. A fast button press and release (like the original garage door remote) doesn't seem to work unless I hold it down until it opens.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you write that you switch battery in your remote.
I have the same issue with my BMW, take me 2 days to program my garage. Stupid thing with BMW - your car has to be running to access homelink buttons.
What help me - new fresh battery in the remote control and, like snagitseven mention, button on the back of a motor.
Good luck!
BTW - Great pics!
Congrats!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm no help on the homelink issue - but she does look to have a huge wheel gap. Could just be the angle and no big deal, but confirm that the shipping blocks were removed. I think you could see them if they're there, as colored (blue/orange, not sure) plastic covering around your shocks (or somewhere in there, not sure how they work). I understand they would be easy to spot if they're there. Seems the dealers forget to remove them sometimes.

Enjoy!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jkownz
i have the same color and model as your a4. dont know why but in the pics it seems your car is really high off the ground.
I just checked your pics showing your black rims (p.s. they look awesome!) and I agree, my car looks like it sits higher from the pictures. Did you notice a change in ride height when you swapped from the stock prestige wheels? You wouldn't happen to have pics of your car with stock wheels on it for comparison's sake? Tire size stock is same as you indicated(245/40). They only ship cars with spacers if they have sport suspension correct?

Thanks everyone for the posts, I'll give it another shot keeping your ideas in mind when I get home from work...
Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
I know you write that you switch battery in your remote.
I have the same issue with my BMW, take me 2 days to program my garage. Stupid thing with BMW - your car has to be running to access homelink buttons.
What help me - new fresh battery in the remote control and, like snagitseven mention, button on the back of a motor.
Good luck!
BTW - Great pics!
Congrats!
I was referring to the A4 Homelink button. But you're correct, there's a procedure for setting the button on the garage door opener somewhere when setting up a rolling code. Check on your door opener's web site for location. As I recall, you generally have about 15-30 seconds to get back to the car and complete the set up.

Quick Reply: New (official) member and a homelink dilemma