A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not a set of VMRs?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It seems more owners here have suggested VMR wheels for their Audis than any other and not overly priced for the quality. Have to agree they are a hot looking wheel on these cars.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

My opinion is you get a quality wheel with looks.
Don't opt for wheels that just look good.
Personally i'd pass on ANY replica wheel or companys that sell replicas.
It surprises me that people recommend a company that has produced countless low quality wheels that have had issues with fitment, finish, and strength.
I'm going to start wrapping up crap in a nice pretty box. I would probably make millions.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are right MOFSTEEL. Is this information normally disclosed on the wheel or do we have to rely on pure here-say? I I guess my point is where does a guy go to be best informed of these normally bad knockoffs?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
My opinion is you get a quality wheel with looks.
Don't opt for wheels that just look good.
Personally i'd pass on ANY replica wheel or companys that sell replicas.
It surprises me that people recommend a company that has produced countless low quality wheels that have had issues with fitment, finish, and strength.
I'm going to start wrapping up crap in a nice pretty box. I would probably make millions.
Interesting thing is that most of these wheels on the market are all made by the very factories who make oem wheels as well... It really is just boiling down to marketing. Bottom line is that perception is everything. Car makers contract these components out to factories, mark up the price along with their logo and make a killing on us as consumers... As long as you make sure the wheel conforms to certain wheel standards, there really is very little difference.. If you ask the right questions, you can save yourself some money that otherwise pays for those advertising and maerketing campaigns...
Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv4s4
Interesting thing is that most of these wheels on the market are all made by the very factories who make oem wheels as well... It really is just boiling down to marketing. Bottom line is that perception is everything. Car makers contract these components out to factories, mark up the price along with their logo and make a killing on us as consumers... As long as you make sure the wheel conforms to certain wheel standards, there really is very little difference.. If you ask the right questions, you can save yourself some money that otherwise pays for those advertising and maerketing campaigns...
If you've asked all the right questions tell us what factories make OEM wheels as well as replicas.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
If you've asked all the right questions tell us what factories make OEM wheels as well as replicas.
I dont think asking the right questions meant asking if the manufacturer makes OEM for car makers... any of those manufacturers will not tell who they oe for. However, I know enkei is one example... They oe for many japanese car makers... As a clarification, if you ask the right questions pertaining to quality standards like jwl, via , tuv and whether it qualifies, then you would know that it is of sound quality. These are the same standards that oe wheels abide by. So instead of paying an arm and a leg for oe wheels that are subjected to those same standards, why not just have wheels that qualify those standards and available at a cheaper price?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, for example go to TireRack and look at the BBS wheels available for the B8 A4 and you will see pricing from around $500 to over $1100 per wheel and I'm sure that they are all meet the same safety standards.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SeaBlue
I agree, for example go to TireRack and look at the BBS wheels available for the B8 A4 and you will see pricing from around $500 to over $1100 per wheel and I'm sure that they are all meet the same safety standards.
Are you saying that just because a wheel is engineered/designed to meet minimum safety standards that they are all the same? I hope you are joking and realize the difference between the BBS wheels that you refer to...
Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Manufacturing cast alloy wheels is not a rocket science. It might have been 30 years ago, but not anymore. Today you can buy a $15 electronic watch made in one of the corners of the world that will be more accurate than a certified Breitling automatic for 200 times less and it will last you enough time to get bored of it and throw it away.

Making very light and rigid rims (possibly forged) is a different story and that's not the OEM business.

I have had no problems with aftermarket and replica wheels that didn't even have JWL stamps. On the contrary, I replaced the original wheels of my wife's Lexus after 4 years because the finish was peeling off badly.

Quick Reply: New rims