A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New wheels - 18" or 19" VMR v708

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheels - 18" or 19" VMR v708

Opinions - 18" or 19" VMR v708
I'm thinking of picking up a set of VMR v708 for my A4 B8 Ibis (in GM).

The GM looks a bit more aggressive than silver but not quite as extreme as black - here's a pic from the VMR site (I don't have the Avant, but this was closest I could find) -

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/link...unmetal_44.php

Has anyone else gone with GM and the Ibis? Are you happy with the results? Any opinions on the VMR v708's?

I would like a set of 19" but have read that these make for a very harsh ride. I've even seen a few folks downgrading from 19" down to 18" to improve the ride.

Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Opinions - 18" or 19" VMR v708
I'm thinking of picking up a set of VMR v708 for my A4 B8 Ibis (in GM).

I would like a set of 19" but have read that these make for a very harsh ride. I've even seen a few folks downgrading from 19" down to 18" to improve the ride.

Thoughts?
I went for the 18" 708's in Hyper Silver for our 2007 A4/B7 2.0T for two reasons: as you said, the potential of a harder ride which I heard I'd get, and (2) I wanted more rubber between me and the pavement. The 19's sidewalls would have been too low-profile for me.

Love the look of the 708's and will soon be posting some pics. I think the GM will look great on your car.

Have a good one.

Garry
Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog
I went for the 18" 708's in Hyper Silver for our 2007 A4/B7 2.0T for two reasons: as you said, the potential of a harder ride which I heard I'd get, and (2) I wanted more rubber between me and the pavement. The 19's sidewalls would have been too low-profile for me.

Love the look of the 708's and will soon be posting some pics. I think the GM will look great on your car.

Have a good one.

Garry

Thanks Garry. My thoughts exactly - for pure performance 19" is great and seems popular - but for general crusing I'm not sure that more is always better.....

VMR quoted me an estimated $150-300 for S&H which is a lot. The wheels themselves were quoted at $799 which is better. I'm not sure if VMR has local distributors (eliminate shipping cost) or do everything via mail order.

What was your experience?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Garry. My thoughts exactly - for pure performance 19" is great and seems popular - but for general crusing I'm not sure that more is always better.....

VMR quoted me an estimated $150-300 for S&H which is a lot. The wheels themselves were quoted at $799 which is better. I'm not sure if VMR has local distributors (eliminate shipping cost) or do everything via mail order.

What was your experience?
Are you in Canada or US, and are you also getting new mounted tires as well through VMR?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are you in Canada or US, and are you also getting new mounted tires as well through VMR?
I'm in Canada.

I need new tires as well as wheels (I want a dedicated set of winter and summer tire/wheels).

I hadn't considered asking VMR if they can supply tires, but will check.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm in Canada.

I need new tires as well as wheels (I want a dedicated set of winter and summer tire/wheels).

I hadn't considered asking VMR if they can supply tires, but will check.
When I ordered my 18" 708's from VMR they arranged to have Falken FK452's 235/40/18's summer performance tires mounted. Shipping was $150 to a receiving point just across the border in Champlain, NY (Freeport Forwarding).

Paid applicable PST/GST taxes and a 7% import duty on the tires as they are made in Japan. Freeport forwarding charged $6 for each box of two tires. NB: If you do order from VMR ask for a packing slip to be included in your shipment. We were delayed about 90 minutes searching for the packing slip. We had two complete sets of tires/wheels in four large boxes. We opened each and every box looking for the non-existant packing slip. After several various attempts, VMR faxed what we needed so we could clear customs. Thanks VMR .

Also, if you do get mounted tires ask for valve stems that will best suit your wheels. They put black ones in ours and it was only when I was at my dealers to have them put on the car did I notice grey stems in the dealer's show room on some tire displays. I would have asked for grey had I known.

That's about it. FYI, all taxes/duties cost me $212. And, oh yes, almost forgot, if you can get a separate invoice for the shipping costs, you will save the taxes at the border as we found out. It was too late for us though as it was all included in one invoice. We were stuck to pay the taxes .

Good Luck!

Garry

Last edited by Old Dog; 05-01-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When I ordered my 18" 708's from VMR they arranged to have Falken FK452's 235/40/18's summer performance tires mounted. Shipping was $150 to a receiving point just across the border in Champlain, NY (Freeport Forwarding).
Just in case you, or other members, need further info on Freeport Forwarding, here is their business card .

Old 05-01-2010, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good Luck!

Garry
Thanks for all the info Garry. What color v708's did you buy? What color is your Audi? Are you happy with the results?

Did VMR help determine the best tire size to fit the wheel and the vehicle or did you provide the specs? In the owner's manual they list a number of tire options which I assume are available on various A4 models - so I was expecting the 245/40 R18 would be the right option in an 18" (as it was listed in the owner's manual) - but I assume there's numerous options and I expect VMR can help with that.

I was at a Kal Tire in town and they said they might be able to order from VMR and save me the shipping. I'm not expecting this will work (or the cost will be greater than doing it myself) - but I thought it worth a try.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Gun Metal looks great on Ibis. I think black wheel are tad too extreme unless done just right. Silver is too blah. GM on the other hand- perfect!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Larger wheels don't always mean better performance.

Larger diameter wheels are also heavier and actually hurt acceleration. Check out the following article from Car and Driver...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sted-tech_dept

Quick Reply: New wheels - 18" or 19" VMR v708