A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

no more manual transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no more manual transmission???

Hi, I used to be a regular on here, apparently my account got deleted after not being around a few years.

Anyways, I sold my B5 S4 years ago and spent years travelling all around the globe. I've now settled somewhere and plan to get another Audi. A friend was telling me yesterday that he was reading in some magazine that A4's will no longer be offered with a manual transmission. I find this hard to believe but if it's true looks like I'll be getting something used. Although I was considering that anyways since I loved my old S4 so much I'm thinking of looking for another Nogaro Blue B5. It was the perfect car for me IMO, plus I'd have much smaller payments which doesn't hurt.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nope Audi still builds cars with manual transmissions. Just not as many as before. You can still get the A4 and S4 sedan and the A5/S5 coupe with a manual. And of course the R8, however not many can swing that one!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

according to Audi's website there is still a 6 speed manual, but it doesn't look like a 6 speed manual on the fwd models only the 2.0 quattro.. I'm sure all the s models will have it as well, the new s4 is 333 hp 30mpg hwy might be something you might consider if cost isn't that big of an issue.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Many Europeans still prefer manual, so it'll be here for some time. But I bet once the DSG trannys start getting cheaper, a lot of people might opt for that.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ryan1524
Many Europeans still prefer manual, so it'll be here for some time. But I bet once the DSG trannys start getting cheaper, a lot of people might opt for that.
Doubtful that this will happen as Europeans are so attached to their manuals. Personally, so am I. A car just drives better and you feel more in touch with the car and the experience with a manual.

When I bought my current car, it was the first time I went with an automatic with a "manual" feature. It was less than satisfying and I'll be picking up my new A4 with manual in a few weeks and taking a nice loss on the current car.

To me, having the manual is such a better experience it was worth the cost for me.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by joesky
Doubtful that this will happen as Europeans are so attached to their manuals. Personally, so am I. A car just drives better and you feel more in touch with the car and the experience with a manual.
To me, having the manual is such a better experience it was worth the cost for me.
I'm with you 100% but it's not because the europeans like manuals that we'll get them in north america.. just look at all the engine choices they've got there, we barely have any. An even better example is the avant, automatic only in north america.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mart242
I'm with you 100% but it's not because the europeans like manuals that we'll get them in north america.. just look at all the engine choices they've got there, we barely have any. An even better example is the avant, automatic only in north america.
Good point... although as long as one can special order a car I think the manual's will continue to be offered in the States. Then again, perhaps wishful thinking on my part .
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual transmissions are done. People in the past resisted electric starters, electric lamps, hydraulic brakes, air conditioning, and any VW/Porsche with a water pump. I invite anyone who thinks they like throwing gears better than hitting switches to take some instruction on the race track. Your lap times will go down, and your excitement will soar.

An electronically controlled automatic with locking torque converters can shift faster than you can tell your foot to find the clutch. What is putting the final nail in the find'em, grind'em-and-go boxes is the gas mileage. The greens are using bad science to pass laws that insist you save fuel. Audi has no desire to support two tansmission sku's anyhow.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moviela
Manual transmissions are done. People in the past resisted electric starters, electric lamps, hydraulic brakes, air conditioning, and any VW/Porsche with a water pump. I invite anyone who thinks they like throwing gears better than hitting switches to take some instruction on the race track. Your lap times will go down, and your excitement will soar.

An electronically controlled automatic with locking torque converters can shift faster than you can tell your foot to find the clutch. What is putting the final nail in the find'em, grind'em-and-go boxes is the gas mileage. The greens are using bad science to pass laws that insist you save fuel. Audi has no desire to support two tansmission sku's anyhow.
I hear ya. I think my new car will be the last Manual Trans for a while... I see a family in my near future
Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Moviela
I invite anyone who thinks they like throwing gears better than hitting switches to take some instruction on the race track. Your lap times will go down, and your excitement will soar.
Been there, done that and disagree.

I drove the first Audi TT 3.2 DSG to hit the shores (even before the magazines) in the UK on track at Oulton Park and also on the road . The Sport mode was very impressive on track and not too bad on the road.

However at the end of the day I felt I was missing out on something. I think it's that the challenge of hooking up your best lap is all about the challenge and the more you make it easier then the less the rewards. It's the same as ABS. It's much nicer on track to be able to pin a Caterham/Lotus 7 on the maximum braking with even the odd puff of smoke from a momentary lock up than it is just to slam on the anchors and let the car sort it out. I'm glad you like "automatics" (in which I deliberating place the DSG/S-Tronic gear box) but don't be so blinkered to belive that we all share your view.

The manual is not dead. I'm very glad that I was able to purchase a 2.0T A4 Avant 6MT otherwise I'd have been forced to go with another brand.

Last edited by Scotty (UK); 08-11-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: no more manual transmission???