A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A noob question about auto shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A noob question about auto shifting

Can I shift from "D" to "S" while the car is in motion? or I need to bring the car to a full stop before shift from "D" to "S" or from "S" to "D"?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoRacer100
Can I shift from "D" to "S" while the car is in motion? or I need to bring the car to a full stop before shift from "D" to "S" or from "S" to "D"?
U sure can move between D and S while moving....
Old 09-08-2011, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rxs1407
U sure can move between D and S while moving....
I haven't tried to shift while the car is in motion, that's why I'm asking the question here.

So I guess it can't then because I remember there is a button on the shifter that I need to press down in order to shift from parking to drive while the car is stand still.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Whoa, the whole point of s mode is so you can shift on the fly. I move into S every time I want to overtake or merge on the highway. When going from S to D you dont even have to push the button, just push the shifter up. S Mode on the shifter isnt actually attached to anything mechanical...just sets your throttle and transmission control module on a more aggressive mode. Change at will and enjoy!

[QUOTE=AutoRacer100;24194466]I haven't tried to shift while the car is in motion, that's why I'm asking the question here.

So I guess it can't then because I remember there is a button on the shifter that I need to press down in order to shift from parking to drive while the car is stand still.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can move from D to S without pressing the button (at least, this is how it worked on my A3. I haven't tried on my A4 but it should work the same way). You probably shouldn't press the button -- that way you won't accidentally shift into reverse (I believe the computer will prevent you from shifting into reverse while moving forward at high speed anyway).
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I do it all the time, in fact I don't even bother moving the shifter from one to the other I simply 'paddle' shift up or down while in drove mode and the car automatically moves into S mode... it will move back to D mode if there are no further 'paddle' shifts after a period of time.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Paddle shifting moves into M mode, not S mode?

Shifting down from D to S requires pressing the button, but S to D does not. That aspect I feel is poorly designed because if you're not careful moving up from S to D, you can pop into N and cause yourself a good deal of trouble.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I realize now that I misunderstood the question - may bad...

jdong's got it right...
Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, great. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I haven't tried the paddleshifting even though I had the car for two years. I used to drive a 6 speed with clutch, so I've always feel the paddleshift won't provide the excitment I get from the traditional mannual transmission.

BTW, the shifting isn't as smooth (when it is in "S") as when it is "D" mode. When the car slowing down, I could hear the exhaust sound like down shifting. That's cool.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RobBob
You can move from D to S without pressing the button (at least, this is how it worked on my A3. I haven't tried on my A4 but it should work the same way). You probably shouldn't press the button -- that way you won't accidentally shift into reverse (I believe the computer will prevent you from shifting into reverse while moving forward at high speed anyway).
you have to push the button with going from D to S, but not from S to D.

Quick Reply: A noob question about auto shifting