A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A noob question about auto shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoRacer100
Ok, great. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I haven't tried the paddleshifting even though I had the car for two years. I used to drive a 6 speed with clutch, so I've always feel the paddleshift won't provide the excitment I get from the traditional mannual transmission.

BTW, the shifting isn't as smooth (when it is in "S") as when it is "D" mode. When the car slowing down, I could hear the exhaust sound like down shifting. That's cool.
Eh the paddles won't give you much "excitement" but are very convenient for hilly terrains. The shifting speed is decent (not great) but considering that it's neither more efficient nor smoother to do it on behalf of the car, I too have not found too many reasons to use the paddle shifters.

S mode is designed to trade off smoothness/efficiency for responsiveness/performance... Even in D mode, the 8spd tiptronic will try to downshift to keep the engine above 1200RPM. If it can do that, it will turn off the fuel injectors so you use zero fuel when coasting. In S mode it just shifts and keeps a higher engine RPM so that it's always ready for sudden throttle inputs.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to shift from "D" to "S" and from "S" to "D" while the car is stand still. It wouldn't let me unless I press down the button on the shifter.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

I tried to shift from "D" to "S" and from "S" to "D" while the car is stand still. It wouldn't let me unless I press down the button on the shifter.
FYI on ADS equipped cars there is no "S" gear selector. Mode changes with a button push which can be done at any time.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yeah, but have you. . .

I switch between the two all the time as well. I've even switched between the two while continuosly accellerating, althouth I try not to. I ususally left my foot off the gas, move to s mode, and punch it. Anyways, I find the paddle shifters to be ok for accellerating from a stop, and I'll usually shift to s mode soon after if I'm trying to really get going fast. Just curious though, has anyone drove in s mode, and then used the paddle shifters? I think everyone knows that in drive mode you can use the paddles anytime to shift manually, has anyone done this in s mode? Curious if it makes paddle shifting a little more lively.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mrlibrary03
I switch between the two all the time as well. I've even switched between the two while continuosly accellerating, althouth I try not to. I ususally left my foot off the gas, move to s mode, and punch it. Anyways, I find the paddle shifters to be ok for accellerating from a stop, and I'll usually shift to s mode soon after if I'm trying to really get going fast. Just curious though, has anyone drove in s mode, and then used the paddle shifters? I think everyone knows that in drive mode you can use the paddles anytime to shift manually, has anyone done this in s mode? Curious if it makes paddle shifting a little more lively.
Maybe, I'll justr try it after work.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Paddle shifting works in S mode. It does not seem to make the shifting any faster, but it DOES make the throttle response less "laggy".
Old 09-13-2011, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dk1
FYI on ADS equipped cars there is no "S" gear selector. Mode changes with a button push which can be done at any time.
I have a A4 premium and I'm not sure it has the ADS (auto drive select) feature.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:10 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

I have a A4 premium and I'm not sure it has the ADS (auto drive select) feature.
You would know for sure if you did, as it's a $3000 feature. My point was that the functionality is still the same and in my car it allows me to switch between D and S without overriding shifter safety.