A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Not happy with accelerator pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goshjup
This is the reason I got rid of the car after 5000 miles, and I special ordered it! Audi lost me as a customer forever. Biggest waste of money. Once the car got going it was a blast but this was a deal breaker for me. Audi sux.
Isn't this you reviewing the SprintBooster on AZ saying it cured your DBW issues?

http://bit.ly/f3GLBV

What's with the turnabout, now you're trashing the car saying it "sux" because of this issue? I thought you also posted the reason you sold the car was that you didn't fit due to your height.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have found this and other things about the transmission to be particularly annoying. The car seems to lag a lot when accelerating, the RPMs seem to drop real low when braking at low speeds, I also find the shifting to very rough. It actually shakes the car sometimes. Several times ( but not always ) when I am slowing down just using the breaks or letting the car coast the car for a while doesn't seem to be shifting down, then all of the sudden when it gets really slow it starts to shift, going though several gears at a time, it actually makes the car shudder.

I complained to the dealer, they 'tested' it and told me nothing was wrong with the car. Something I clearly disagree with them about.

One of my thoughts has been to get an aftermarket product ( chip or what have you ), but it doesn't seem like any are available for the 2011 8-speed cars yet. So I will have to wait and see.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goshjup
This is the reason I got rid of the car after 5000 miles, and I special ordered it! Audi lost me as a customer forever. Biggest waste of money. Once the car got going it was a blast but this was a deal breaker for me. Audi sux.
what.. did you buy this car without test driving a similar one? you wasted your own money bud.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I paid the rpemium for the sprint booster and it helped immensly but still did not cure it. I have an RX350 now and it has elec controlled throttle, NO hesitation. No excuse for AUDI's engineers. Even the Auto Q5 I drove with a V6 has it bad. I asked the salesman why it had a bad hesitation and he just sit there silently. Why would that be????

Originally Posted by quality_sound
I hate to break it to you, but damn near every car on the planet has an electronic throttle now and they all delay inputs to increase fuel economy. Rather than selling the car you could have installed a Sprint Booster or had the car chipped by one of the companies that also does throttle remapping.

For all the current owners, this behavior can be programmed out. FWIW, my 08 GTI did this exact same thing. You'll get used to it.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Correct. The SB helped greatly but the car just would not operate as expected. A 100hp civic has better throttle response off idle than these cars. So sad.
I was also dissapointed in the interior fitment due to my size yes. Japanese cater to taller people germans don't. I am 6'6" and drove a 2000 celica with no problems for years.

Flame away fan boys. I always dreamt of owning an A4, got one from a special order to get everything I wanted and was totally dissappointed. Just my scenario though.

Completely satisfied with my new 2010 RX350. Total luxury...And guess what! It moves when I hit the acc pedal. Imagine that.

Originally Posted by Jason H
Isn't this you reviewing the SprintBooster on AZ saying it cured your DBW issues?

http://bit.ly/f3GLBV

What's with the turnabout, now you're trashing the car saying it "sux" because of this issue? I thought you also posted the reason you sold the car was that you didn't fit due to your height.

Last edited by goshjup; 01-20-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
I hate to break it to you, but damn near every car on the planet has an electronic throttle now and they all delay inputs to increase fuel economy. Rather than selling the car you could have installed a Sprint Booster or had the car chipped by one of the companies that also does throttle remapping.

For all the current owners, this behavior can be programmed out. FWIW, my 08 GTI did this exact same thing. You'll get used to it.
I am not interested in giving the dealer an opportunity to deny me warranty on my car. And no, I will not get used to it, it will always be there. Especially when my other cars have accurate throttle response to input.

I should not have to pay more money to get a proper driving experience that my other cars deliver.

That said, I agree with the OP. I am disappointed, and while driving the car during the road test, perhaps I didn't notice or recognize this issue. I did notice it after about 150 miles in my newly purchased car, which happens under certain, mostly emergency situations. I had no emergency situations on the road test. Today I drove our 2002 example, with the ETB, and while not the fastest car on the planet, it does not have throttle lag between foot movement and engine response.

Anyone else?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steveracer
I am not interested in giving the dealer an opportunity to deny me warranty on my car. And no, I will not get used to it, it will always be there. Especially when my other cars have accurate throttle response to input.

I should not have to pay more money to get a proper driving experience that my other cars deliver.

That said, I agree with the OP. I am disappointed, and while driving the car during the road test, perhaps I didn't notice or recognize this issue. I did notice it after about 150 miles in my newly purchased car, which happens under certain, mostly emergency situations. I had no emergency situations on the road test. Today I drove our 2002 example, with the ETB, and while not the fastest car on the planet, it does not have throttle lag between foot movement and engine response.

Anyone else?
So when you take it in you pull the SB out? It just plugs in, it's not permanent by any stretch of the imagination.

Even my 2010 M3 has a slight delay and that's probably the best sport sedan on the planet.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've actually never noticed this at all, but I think it's due to the fact I have the 6MT and wouldn't feel much delay while taking off from a stop with the clutch.

My C63 AMG had a very slight delay as well. Like quality_sound said, thats the electronic throttle control. All new cars do it. Compound that with a turbo 4cyl and there is going to be some lag from the start.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NickZag
I've actually never noticed this at all, but I think it's due to the fact I have the 6MT and wouldn't feel much delay while taking off from a stop with the clutch.

My C63 AMG had a very slight delay as well. Like quality_sound said, thats the electronic throttle control. All new cars do it. Compound that with a turbo 4cyl and there is going to be some lag from the start.
This. If people don't understand what they're buying they should not be allowed to do so. Now please /thread.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It takes a bit for the turbo to spool up to give you a lot of power anyway.. turbo lag is a known phenomenon.

You're not driving a race car.. stop driving like jerks and expecting it to behave like one.

Quick Reply: Not happy with accelerator pedal feel