A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Not happy with accelerator pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive by wire + Turbo lag + Automatic transmission = Hesitation

My A5 2.0T with a manual transmissio pulls hard with very minimal hesitation.
The trick is to be in the right gear for the speed you are currently traveling at.

I enjoy this car much more than my previous ride, a Porsche Cayman base (2.7L) with a steptronic slushbox.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not to start a debate on Sprint Booster...BUT. A bit of back ground in that my DD is a 2011 Cayenne Turbo 500 HP..and my weekend car is a 911 Turbo cab with PDK - again 500 hp. My last DD before my Cayenne was an RS4. All this to say I am used to cars quick out of the gate and when I bought my wife an A4 Avant S line three months ago I remarked on the lack of low range responce. Responce didn't bother her in the least so I have had some fun with it and put on a Caractere Body kit, wheels and exhaust - tinted the windows and man it looks pretty sweet...but I simply didn't enjoy driving the car and experienced much the same hesitation issues by some of the posters. Was planning to chip it when the tuner I spoke to regarding chipping options told me about the Sprint Booster and so I thought, what the heck for $ 350.00 I'll try it.

Well pleased to report that I installed it today and I have got to say, the car is LOTS more fun to drive. Low range is one heck of a lot better and spools up the Turbos seemlessly. I know I could simply step on the pedal harder to get the same result but the sensation in driving the car is much quicker and most certainly a differant experience. Fuel economy will be pummelled but I don't care, her car is just a buzz to drive now.

My .02 $
Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I noticed this right away - just picked up my 2011 A4 B8 (tiptronic) yesterday.. I find the car to be very jerky in the low gears, whether I'm accelerating or slowing down it seems to 'jump'.

I've noticed it's not as bad if I'm paying more attention to how I'm driving and trying to work with the car.. if that makes sense. It definitely sucks though... but not enough to make me regret the purchase. I drove a 2010 Acura RDX before and THAT was a turbo lag.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Not to start a debate on Sprint Booster...
I'm guessing this booster may have you take your foot off the pedal every couple of seconds while cruising at highway speeds. Did you notice such a thing?
I've driven cars that couldn't maintain accurate speeds in the range of 60-75mph unless the cruise control was used, because the throttle opened up too much at a slight touch of the pedal.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adb604
I noticed this right away - just picked up my 2011 A4 B8 (tiptronic) yesterday.. I find the car to be very jerky in the low gears, whether I'm accelerating or slowing down it seems to 'jump'.

I've noticed it's not as bad if I'm paying more attention to how I'm driving and trying to work with the car.. if that makes sense. It definitely sucks though... but not enough to make me regret the purchase. I drove a 2010 Acura RDX before and THAT was a turbo lag.
It'll diminish over time. Mine use to be really bad at first too but it barely ever happens now at 5500 miles.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by markinarch
It'll diminish over time. Mine use to be really bad at first too but it barely ever happens now at 5500 miles.
awesome! that's good to know.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ports
A drive up 25-30degree incline every day to get into my apartments parking lot. There's no measurable lag.

As I said.. it's not a race car. My car handles and responds just fine.. Although I admit that it's a faster response in sport mode.

Frankly, I am not a fanboy. I'm going to make this personal, and just say it, I think you're a jackass, gosjjup, or whatever your username is.

My threads all over the forum talk about how I used to love my old BMW and was getting settled into this Audi.. but I didn't know for sure. And 3-4 days ago, I even posted a thread about dropping Audi and getting a Ford.
First off, just to clarify. Fanboys are the ones that say there is not problem and claim its driver error etc. You don't apply, as many other repliers also don't apply.
There is something wrong in the engineering of the system. I write code, I know.
I am just saying I am glad I got rid of the car and got something that exceeded my expectations. Something the audi couldnt do.
End of my rant. Enjoy your vehicles. I am.