A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

oil extraction through dipstick tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil extraction through dipstick tube

for diy oil changes, which for me is every time, is oil extraction using a pump through the dipstick tube an acceptable method vs drain from below? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best way to do it. With the oil filter on top there is no reason to crawl about under the car to remove and replace a drain plug.

Run the car to heat the oil to operating temperature. Loosen the oil filter to allow the plumbing to drain into the sump. Slide the vacuum tube down the dipstick tube and extract the oil. I use a Mity-Vac. It is a manual pump. There are some with a 12v motor that can be had. Boaters have been doing this for years, and Mercedes asks their dealers to use this way to get the oil out.

You will get out all the oil except a scant couple of ounces. There is still oil in the engine that no method will get, but you are changing the vast majority of the oil. Replace the filter. Don't forget to use a finger wetted with oil on the rubber seal.

Add oil until the MMI says it is full.

It is so clean, and you can carry the Mity-Vac to the disposal place and pour it in their tank.

At first I was a skeptic, so after I vacuumed the oil out, I took off the drain plug. 2 ounces, and it made a mess on the garage floor. That was the last time I did that. I save forty cents for the sealing washer on each oil change. I am planning a small celebration in Vegas.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

One of these days I'll quit my ol' school ways and give this a try.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory oil change service for a 2.0TFSI in a B8 A4 is to oil extract from the dipstick hole.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
The factory oil change service for a 2.0TFSI in a B8 A4 is to oil extract from the dipstick hole.
They don't do it that way at my dealership - I saw the cars up in air and the used-oil tanks with the funnels being rolled around.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
They don't do it that way at my dealership - I saw the cars up in air and the used-oil tanks with the funnels being rolled around.
They are supposed to do the services that way. If you do drain it from the oil pan, you have to replace the oil drain plug. Every dealership was sent the oil extractor for the new D4 A8. If the techs check the service information for a B8 A4, it will say to extract the oil, not pull the drain pan oil plug. Mind you, busy dealerships cannot rely on a single extractor all the time, so some drain it the old fashion way. Some dealerships have bought additional oil extractors for their techs though. The extraction process actually pulls out more oil out than the drain plug when done properly.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ezveedub
The extraction process actually pulls out more oil out than the drain plug when done properly.
How?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
How?
Every time i use oil extraction to extract oil through dipstick tube on 2.0L engine (timing chain engine), there is atleast a quart of engine oil still in the oil pan. Draining is much better way to get most of old oil out of this engine.

I don't use oil extration method on 2.0L engine any more.

Last edited by oaktreelimb; 03-28-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you use the extraction device, you will get all the oil out. If you can't get all the oil out, your doing it wrong. I've seen it any many shops already and the techs that know how to use it say the same thing. You have to use the plastic tubes and insert it correctly into the tube. If you insert it too far, it will curve back upwards off the bottom of the pan. The long copper tube cannot be used.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

MityVac or Motive, that is the question ....

Quick Reply: oil extraction through dipstick tube