A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Oil Level Indicator Stuck at the 2 minute warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Oil Level Indicator Stuck at the 2 minute warning

So my 2010 A4 oil level indicator showed a quart low, but no warning--the meter was blank. I put in a half quart (all that was left of the container), started up and when I checked the level it said oil level will be available in about 2 minutes.

Since then I can't get a reading--the 2 minute warning remains regardless of how long I run the car.

Will this clear? I already opened and closed the oil fill once or twice.

Any ideas?

This is a good reason to insist on a dipstick.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Level Indicator Stuck at the 2 minute warning

Originally Posted by Art234
This is a good reason to insist on a dipstick.
I agree with you 100%. I'm old school and like to see with my own eyes where the oil level is. They could have still included an electronic reading, but should have left the dipstick. Like how much weight/money are they saving without it??? Electronics have been known to go wacky. I'm not looking forward to the day when my next Audi is dipstickless. It's no trouble and reassuring being able to check my oil level on my B7.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the problem where the oil indicator kept showing no oil information available after i have changed the oil and reseted the service/oil interval, but after about 6 days it finally registered the oil level is at full bar. i have also ordered a dipstick that is coming tommorrow will check the oil level with the dipstick to make sure everything is good.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommy3443
i had the problem where the oil indicator kept showing no oil information available after i have changed the oil and reseted the service/oil interval, but after about 6 days it finally registered the oil level is at full bar. i have also ordered a dipstick that is coming tommorrow will check the oil level with the dipstick to make sure everything is good.
I experienced the same thing for about 3-4 days. The lack of a dipstick would be much less annoying if the the MMI indicator was instantaneous.

Last edited by Hobbes; 02-16-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After adding oil, it takes a day or two, or a certain amount of miles (I don't know the exact amount of miles) to drive before the oil level is shown on the display again.
In fact, it is enough that you just open the hood, which makes the oil level information to be unavailable for a while.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same here, I even called a dealer to schedule an appointment but have been told to run an engine for a while to make sure it is hot then shut it down for a few minutes then check the oil level.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dipstick order

Where did you find a dipstick for the A4 B8 2.0T engine and what was the part number? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

After two days of solid driving the indicator returned to normal. What I found surprising, however, is that although the graph showed empty, meaning no solid line at all, it did not warn me in any way to add oil. Is there supposed to be a message indicating the need to add oil if one doesn't check all the time?

Also regarding usage, I find that the first 4000 miles after an oil change the crankcase remains relatively full, but that the quantity decreases rather substantially between 4000 and 5000 miles...does anyone else have similar recollection?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prof
Where did you find a dipstick for the A4 B8 2.0T engine and what was the part number? Thanks.
here is the part number 06J-115-611-E http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...33-B8-Dipstick
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Art234
After two days of solid driving the indicator returned to normal. What I found surprising, however, is that although the graph showed empty, meaning no solid line at all, it did not warn me in any way to add oil. Is there supposed to be a message indicating the need to add oil if one doesn't check all the time?.......
Yes, there should appear a warning in the drives's display saying something like "Please add oil, max 1 liter, you can continue driving". However, it seems that the warning does not appear promptly, when the solid line on the bar graph disappears.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Indicator Stuck at the 2 minute warning