A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Oil Level Indicator Stuck at the 2 minute warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level consumption Min 2009 Audi A4

I have a 2009 audi a4. When I bought the car, it show the oil level at the max (a full red bar). I only been driving the car for a full month and now the oil consumption level on the screen is almost null. Is this normal? Ive been reading how a lot of you have issues with the oil consumption. The car has 11k miles and the first service didnt have any issues. I wish I can check the oil myself but I dont have a stick to do it.
Any ideas? I dont think there is a leak since Ive been parking my car at work and at home and no signs of oil at all.
Additionally, the car shows normal temperature and has not giving me a warning. thank you so much!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I have to add about two quarts of oil between changes; since the oil is free, I usually add it about 4,000 and 8,500+ miles. I could probably get away with NOT adding the second quart, but I don't feel once the OK indicator goes out that I should ignore it.

Dealer says "up to one quart per 2,500 miles, is within normal."

That would mean, depending on how you look at it that about 3 quarts of oil per interval is "standard, normal, OK."

I have had 29 Audis, some turbo, some not. This seems excessive, but, so far, I have added two quarts between changes without issue, and like I said it is free from the dealer and I pass by the dealer twice daily.

For me, no biggie.

I would think that a larger oil reserve or some slick engineering (in future versions of the engine) to reduce the consumption would be prudent.

The car never smokes and I've read people here say, "it goes with the TURBO territory."

I've had 5 cylinder turbos and V6 turbos and now a 4 cylinder turbo Audi -- this one uses more oil than I'm used to, but still they keep saying I'm below the maximum limit of "normal."

I know this sounds terrible -- but the lease is up in about 14 months. The car has been great, best ever, in fact.

If this kind of thing pisses you off or bothers you in some way, well, be aware. . . .
Old 08-02-2010, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

By the way, stop opening the hood -- the oil indicator will reset to about two days EVERY damn time you open the hood. Add the oil, wait a day or three, punch up the oil level indicator.

Everytime you open the hood, you start the cycle over again.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
By the way, stop opening the hood -- the oil indicator will reset to about two days EVERY damn time you open the hood. Add the oil, wait a day or three, punch up the oil level indicator.

Everytime you open the hood, you start the cycle over again.
Audi electronic oil level readout: next to useless as currently implemented. That's why I bought a $22 dipstick. Sometimes, technology advancement isn't.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Yep, I agree--got the dipstick and all is well....
Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Art234
So my 2010 A4 oil level indicator showed a quart low, but no warning--the meter was blank. I put in a half quart (all that was left of the container), started up and when I checked the level it said oil level will be available in about 2 minutes.

Since then I can't get a reading--the 2 minute warning remains regardless of how long I run the car.

Will this clear? I already opened and closed the oil fill once or twice.

Any ideas?

This is a good reason to insist on a dipstick.
The problem is you let the car running.

Oil level is checked after engine is warm up and key ON for two minutes (engine is not running)
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of your experiences are much different than mine. I added oil once with the ignition on, but car not running (if that makes sense) and the oil readout on the MMI screen was available the entire time, with about 1-2 minute delay between adding and fully registering on the screen. Also, the full oil level was present any time I requested via MMI over the next week or so.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone answer a question for me? When you check the oil level (bar graph), does the bar depict the ENTIRE supply of oil in the engine, or only a quart? I got a beep and a minimum oil level message. I checked the MMI and was told to add a quart MAX but that I could continue driving. I added the quart and nothing has changed. So I added another quart. Still no change. Panicking, I figured that the oil hadn't been changed in 7,000 miles, so maybe I'm REALLY low. Yup, I added a third (and final) quart. Still get the beep, still get the warning, and the bar graph hasn't moved.

I don't know if I damaged the car by overfilling, and I don't know if the MMI warning system is just unreliable. I'm taking the car in to have an Audi mechanic check it out tomorrow. Maybe he can tell me what I need to know about the simple mechanics of topping off the oil.

This is scary territory, I tell you. I've read the manual, but it hasn't helped much.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaScreenName
Can someone answer a question for me? When you check the oil level (bar graph), does the bar depict the ENTIRE supply of oil in the engine, or only a quart? I got a beep and a minimum oil level message. I checked the MMI and was told to add a quart MAX but that I could continue driving. I added the quart and nothing has changed. So I added another quart. Still no change. Panicking, I figured that the oil hadn't been changed in 7,000 miles, so maybe I'm REALLY low. Yup, I added a third (and final) quart. Still get the beep, still get the warning, and the bar graph hasn't moved.

I don't know if I damaged the car by overfilling, and I don't know if the MMI warning system is just unreliable. I'm taking the car in to have an Audi mechanic check it out tomorrow. Maybe he can tell me what I need to know about the simple mechanics of topping off the oil.

This is scary territory, I tell you. I've read the manual, but it hasn't helped much.
It's my understanding (and experience) that the oil level in MMI only indicates the top ~1qt. In fact, as soon as I got the warning and topped up with 1 full quart the same day, oil level registered at the MAX level in the MMI readout. Before adding the quart of oil, the MMI readout showed "empty". Your experience is very strange though, and I've never heard of such a thing before. I'm guessing the sensor must be broken. How long did you wait after filling until now? Not sure if that even matters because mine registered in the MMI almost instantaneously.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaScreenName
Can someone answer a question for me? When you check the oil level (bar graph), does the bar depict the ENTIRE supply of oil in the engine, or only a quart?
The MMI display roughly corrleates to the range between "Min" and "Max" on a dipstick.

if the very last pixel was illuminated near the bottom, the enginge should be nearly 1 quart low. It does not mean the engine has no oil. I've changed my oil with the procedure Blake mentioned - the MMI display started registering the level as the last quart was being put in.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Indicator Stuck at the 2 minute warning