A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Oil sensor light temporarily on after starting car..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil sensor light temporarily on after starting car..

Hello All,

I just bought myself a 2009 A4 with 80,000km on it. I was very aware of the oil consumption issue but decided to take the risk as I loved the car. Checked oil level on MMI and it was at the top. Everything was fine the first 2 weeks, now I'm in at 300km or so driving and noticed 2 cold nights in a row the yellow oil sensor light comes on when I start the car then disappears when I drive off. I checked the oil level when the light first came on, it was at quarter down. Next day it was at half down and the day after (today) its at 3 quarters down, though the sensor light didn't come on yet.

I checked the dipstick that came in my A4 (yes, the dealer put a dipstick..) and it is showing that it is close to low..

Are the 2 related? I'm considered that the dealer I bought the car from (BMW dealer) might have put in the wrong oil causing sludge issues or am I paranoid? Is it a bad sensor if no why is the light disappearing? Is it typical oil consumption? (I haven't yet driven 500km and it looks like a quart is down..)

Anything you guys can offer would be great!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speak as a former 2009 A4 owner.....they drink oil. It is good that your car has a dipstick and you will need to monitor with that to insure what your level of oil is. Should be full synthetic oil. You may have a problem with the sensor, since they usually will come on when you are down one quart.

Best of luck. I had mine for 18 months and I also loved the car, but I did not like the fact that my best friends were the people in the Audi Service Dept. - my car was in the garage all the time and it gets very old.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry but it sounds like you got a lemon. Normal oil consumption is about 1 quart for 2500-3000 miles.My bet is the BMW dealer knew about the oil problem and just sold it off at a good deal. Either try to go back to them or go to an Audi dealership and get the consumption test. Once you get that done you will know what your exposure will be. Good luck
Old 02-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be sure its the low oil level and it normally states OK to drive. If its the low oil pressure light that is going off as the engine revs some then I would be concerned. It can be a sign of some bad things to come.

The MMI can be a bit quirky on the oil level. It's not bad if only use it and never open your hood (hood switch is linked into how it works). best to monitor it using the dipstick. Once you do your first oil change and put n 5 qts check the dipstick to make sure where the true full line is. The dipstick marking may be off a bit.