A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Ordered 2012 A4 S-Line

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered 2012 A4 S-Line

Here's the scoop, and I could use some advise from some of you seasoned buyers. I have recently sold my gas-guzzling trailblazer SS to make way for a more gas-efficient car. My company receives discounts on Audi's, and after test driving a 2011 A4, it was hard to compete with (especially with limited dealerships in the area). On May 1st, I placed a down payment on a 2012 Audit with sport and titanium package. Those of you familiar with the 2012 order guide already see the flaw...no titanium package in 2012. How did I find out? About 3 weeks later on this forum. I contacted my dealer, and he pretty much said "oops," at which time, I opted for the s-line, which has some of the same features, ++

When asked if this would delay delivery time, he said, and I quote "Shouldn't effect ETA allocation has been given, all systems Go." FYI - at the time of my down payment, I was told a 90 day turnaround.

Should I be nervous? Clearly, I am anxious, and can't wait for my new toy...but I don't want to wait until October!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dan759
Should I be nervous? Clearly, I am anxious, and can't wait for my new toy...but I don't want to wait until October!
I ordered a 2012 A4 this afternoon; ETA first week of September. The dealer had a car in line at the factory, but not yet "locked down" as far as packages/options. He went right onto his computer and altered the car in the system to suit me, even though that car had been in the system for who knows how long. I assume your dealer did the same thing. Not sure how reasonable a 90 day turnaround is, but it sounds pretty standard.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as your dealer had allocation or a car 'in the pipeline' to be changed to your spec, you should see your car around the 90 day timeline. Only thing that might not show up is the rear view camera as there is a shortage of parts from Japan.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Only thing that might not show up is the rear view camera as there is a shortage of parts from Japan.
There are a number of threads on this forum and others about the camera issue. My understanding (based on a memo circulated to Audi dealers posted on a forum and from talking to my salesman) is that new A4s will not ship with the camera installed due to the situation in Japan.

If you order the navigation package and the rear acoustic parking sensors, the camera will be installed by your dealer at no cost once the shortage issue is resolved.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

I am not as worried about the camera. I am personally not a huge fan - it seems to offer a false sense of security, as opposed to looking over your shoulder.

I just hope my salesman knows what he is talking about, and what "UmIsThisThingOn" said seems to make sense. Can they track the order? I was planning on reaching out to him at the end of the week for an update.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am not as worried about the camera. I am personally not a huge fan - it seems to offer a false sense of security, as opposed to looking over your shoulder.
I've never had a backup camera before, but hear nothing but good things. I live in the Bay Area where the need to parallel park is constant, and while I have never had an accident doing so, my understanding is that the camera/sensors quickly became second nature and make this little trick a breeze.

As far as a sense of security, imagine backing out of your driveway in the morning and running over a pet/small child. Until my A4 arrives I am driving a borrowed SUV. I looked over my shoulder this morning but it occurred to me that if a pet/small child were right behind the car I couldn't possibly know it. I think all cars should have them (if possible) for this reason.

Can they track the order? I was planning on reaching out to him at the end of the week for an update.
I know the car can be tracked, but not how precisely. General status (factory order bank, in production, shipped, etc.) for sure, whether it is like watching a package on its way to you from Amazon however, that I don't know.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just found out that my 2012 A4 Avant is on the cargo ship OTELLO, due in NYC on July 6th!

-Spaghettipie
Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats that's awesome. Gotta see pics when you get it.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 2011 arrived at the dealer exactly 7 weeks to the day after I placed the order. My dealer had an allocation in queue, and modified it to my specs. Based on other people's experiences, I had a fast turn around time. I was expecting 10 - 12 weeks.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spaghettipie
Just found out that my 2012 A4 Avant is on the cargo ship OTELLO, due in NYC on July 6th!

-Spaghettipie
Congrats! The last week is the hardest one, so hang in there.

and posting pics is a must!

Quick Reply: Ordered 2012 A4 S-Line