A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Picking up P+ 6MT Sat...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:26 AM
mgm
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I was thinking the same thing that the firmer steering was from the larger wheels, but I think the difference is too great to be only that. I am thinking they tuned the steering on the sport pkg equipped cars with the "dynamic" cal of the ADS setting. The non-sports probably have the normal setting. It would be great if someone can verify by driving a non-sport (no ADS) Prestige car (18" wheels std) back to back with a P+ with sports pkg (18" wheels) and see if there is a noticeable difference in steering feel.

Last edited by mgm; 10-07-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Thanks again, mgm. I'm very curious to hear from other sports package owners.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by equ
That's great on the firmer steering feel, so perhaps there is hope for me after all. Could it be just the stickier, wider tires? Or is the servotronic calibration actually different? Either way, congrats, enjoy your new car, that's how I'd have spec'ed it.
I have an A$ 2.0 Premium +, sports package,black/black, nav. for two weeks and love it.

I drove a standard suspension 17" wheels and 3.2 with sports back to back. I told the salesman the regular felt like a rented Malibu. The sports had firmer, seemed faster steering, great turn in and good if firm ride.

When I took delivery I had short lived buyer's remorse. I was worried about expensive wheel bangs, scrapes and the pain to change to winter tires. I was also worried about the lowered suspension bottoming out. Now I love it even more. The look is stand-out great and the handling is terrific.

I also drove an A4 2.0 loaner for a few days and liked the regular suspension very much also. Firm enough for normal or brisk driving. It tightens up the steering nicely on the highway. Not crazy about the cheapo OEM tires and wheels though. Maybe Prestige is better. Might be better to spend for Prestige Bang Olfn. and buy a nav. for a few hundred aftermarket.

Bottom line is both setups are good but different.

The Nav. is primitive compared to my former Infiniti M35X. But the back-up camera is better. (3G nav. coming in 2010) Mileage 30% better. Premium now $2.65 gal. Headed to $3.00. Back to $2.00 after Labor Day IMHO.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Beautiful Car. Enjoy it.

I canceled my tint plans. NY has pending legislature to check tint density at annual inspection and raise fines. Suggest you check laws and pending legislation. NY only allows 75%. Not to different in adjoining states.

Reason: An officer was killed approaching a tinted SUV he pulled over.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:07 PM
mgm
AudiWorld Member

Default Update

Well, its been a month and a half and I love my car. I have added APR Tune, Chrome Tips, 35% Tint, A4 Rubber Mats, 16GB SDHC Card, and Rieger Lip Spoiler. Here are some pics of my updates.
Attached Images      
Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love mine more each day. Premium at $3.15 gal now. So smooth and easy to drive and park vs. 2006 Infiniti M35X. I would love to go on a long trip. 18' Sports package is super. No flats yet. Any advice for winter rubber? Thinking ahead.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Did the dealer program the A4 as you requested back there on May 8?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will one of you compare the seats, Sports vs. Regular? There are no A4's on the lots around here that have the sport package. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dafool
Will one of you compare the seats, Sports vs. Regular? There are no A4's on the lots around here that have the sport package. Thanks.
I can't speak for the non-sport seat, but as far as the Sports PAckage seats go... I moved from Recaro S4 sport seats to these and I find these to actually be excellent seats. The seat cushion design is not as visually nice as previous generations. The lower leg extensions are pretty nice, although you do need to keep them vacuumed because they seem to pick up lots of crud (and I don't eat in my car). I am most surprised at how they really hold you in the seat. The bolsters are great - not too aggressive for my wife or people who don't want to be hugged. The interior leather parts, while it may be a lower quality than previous generations (there was a thread about this some 6 months ago), the seats are far grippier than my other seats. Not sure if this is a leather quality thing, but I really like it. Definitely not getting the slippy movement of my A4 which didn't have the bolsters. You had to really buckle in for autocross or else you would totally slip around.
As ever, though, when they get hot, they get HOT and you get a lot of sweaty back (if only we could have ac-seats). I find the seats plenty comfortable and I have done a several 2-hour stints in them and they seem fine enough. I am doing a road trip in a few weeks, so we'll see how 8-9 hours at a time feels.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree 100% with the previous review. Drove ~4 - 5 hours on sunday and no major complaint about the seat beside my bum that was getting a bit sore but a short break would have resolved that.

My wife tried the regular seats and hated them. They offer no support at all. I thought the same. If you like spirited driving, you should definitely consider the sport seat.

Quick Reply: Picking up P+ 6MT Sat...