A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 03:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Piston replacement for oil consumption problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harryharry
I have the same issue with the oil consumption, bump, bump, waiting for someone to answer.
I have an '09' A4 Avant that at approx. 56k started to have oil consumption problems. The dealer gave me the typical factory line that 1qt/1k was normal. I however know better and documented all my readings (mileage, oil level- display on dash and dipstick) and when my usage increased to a quart every 500 to 800 miles I handed the Excel graphs to the service rep and he contacted Audi engineers and soon after that received permission to run a two step procedure. The engine failed both tests and the dealership replaced all pistons and rings. The A4 now has 106K miles on it and runs perfect. I've had my oil level reading FULL at both the display and dipstick with 15K on the oil (Mobil 1). Once I had new pistons and rings I told the dealer that the engine will only see Mobil 1 not the Castrol Syntec that normally put in their cars.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good to know. Thanks.
I am due to see my dealer tomorrow as I am already empty. I made sure to ask my dealer if I should top off my oil and he said "no". Apparently, this will screw up the 1st test. I am somewhat concerned as the dealer is 50 miles away but he assured me that I will have enough oil.
It puzzles me that Audi forced everyone has to go through this lengthy process, loss of time etc. when Audi knows there is a major problem.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

They won't tell you this but apparently incorrectly sized piston rings were installed at the factory.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

When you say empty... you are describing the digital display on the MMI as being blank (not showing a solid level) correct? That level indicator as well as the "dipstick" shows you that last quart from the FULL mark... i.e. a quart low. Don't worry you'll make the 50 miles to the dealership. GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tron49
When you say empty... you are describing the digital display on the MMI as being blank (not showing a solid level) correct? That level indicator as well as the "dipstick" shows you that last quart from the FULL mark... i.e. a quart low. Don't worry you'll make the 50 miles to the dealership. GOOD LUCK!
Yes, the MMI was showing blank. Since my last post, I have since had my pistons replaced and so far, everything appears to be operating ok. Oil level remains at the maximum marking. I will update if this changes.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Flipinpc
Yes, the MMI was showing blank. Since my last post, I have since had my pistons replaced and so far, everything appears to be operating ok. Oil level remains at the maximum marking. I will update if this changes.
That's great...once your pistons and rings set, I'd suggest that you start using Mobil1 vs. the Castrol Syntec that they always like to push.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys. Figured I'd add my experience so far....

I have a 2010 A4, with about 70K on the odometer. It has always had a consumption problem (however it was within Audi's "normal consumption rate") but recently has gotten worse. Just burned a quart in about 900 miles. Made an appointment which is tomorrow, as well as contacted AoA, just to inform them.

A gentlemen from AoA called me a day or two later to let me know that he spoke with the service manager at my dealership who said that they will be taking care of the consumption test. He also said that he doesn't think that they will be giving me a hard time about taking care of the cost of any needed repairs in regards to the problem, but if for any reason they do, to give him a call. I told him I would keep him in the loop on the issue.

I'll let you guys know the outcome.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 3+ Years Later.....

I can't believe that after 3+ years, they still give some customers a hard time over this issue, which is a known and documented problem.

I'm just a visitor here now, having sold my 2010 A4 Prestige when they refused to even do a consumption test in June, 2011, and told me that a quart in 800 miles is normal. Apparently, the Audi dealer who bought my car from the BMW dealer I sold it to did the ring/piston rework because the car was in the shop for 8 weeks before it was put out for sale. I had that car for two years and put just over 30K on it.

With all due respect, this was the reason I sold the car...this and the bickering with AoA over the front bushing problem, which the dealer didn't want to do even when I brought the TSB hard copy to them.

I realize all cars do burn some oil, but my 2011 535xi burned none, and my new 2014 535d x drive only burns oil as fuel (diesel) so far. And for what it's worth when issues arise with BMW for the most part they own up to the problem and do the right thing without a fight.

I wish those of you having a hard time getting AoA to act a successful outcome..
Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got my car back today after receiving Stage 1 consumption test. Updated PCV, new crank seal, updated software. I was instructed to return to the dealership when the oil light comes back on.

Interesting note - The diaphragm in my old PCV got a tear in it, I figured it out through the old "suction test" with the oil fill cap off. I tried it again today with the new valve just out of curiosity, and it has so much suction that I almost couldn't get the cap off. Not to mention that the engine began to stumble and sputter. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Remember that you have a long emissions warranty & that this sort of oil consumption would probably make your car fail federal emission requirements.

Quick Reply: Piston replacement for oil consumption problem?