A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

"Please Drain Oil"

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts
Default "Please Drain Oil"

I was just checking my MMI oil guage in the Car section and unlike always in the past where I got the on screen oil meter, I get this message. It's been several weeks since the dealer did the 5K service and oil change and I've not added any since. No warning lights on the instrument cluster.
I let the car run for about 2 minutes and turned it off as specified in the manual but still get the same message.
Any ideas?

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-19-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you reset the service interval in the CAR mode?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems pretty suspicious to me. If it continues I'd be concerned that the oil level sensor had gone bad and probably take it back to the dealer to have it checked out. Either that or break down and buy a real dip stick.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Moviela
Did you reset the service interval in the CAR mode?
Yes, the dealer did that at 5K.
I took the car for a drive and checked after 10 minutes and the oil gauge came back showing full. When I turned the engine off and checked the MMI, it said "Please drain oil" again.

Gonna call the dealer and get me a dipstick.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ask simple questions to eliminate obvious simple explainations, never any offense intended.

Was the car level where you made the measurement? Put a carpenter's level on the ground, you might be suprised.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, the dealer did that at 5K.
I took the car for a drive and checked after 10 minutes and the oil gauge came back showing full. When I turned the engine off and checked the MMI, it said "Please drain oil" again.

Gonna call the dealer and get me a dipstick.
If you get a dipstick to replace the cap on the tube that the car comes with, please share the part number. My dealer doesn't seem to be able to come up with a dipstick part number for my 2.0T. They do have a version that is handheld for diagnostic/service use only, but it's obviously not meant to be left in place all the time.
The following users liked this post:
Afroz (05-31-2024)
Old 04-20-2009, 05:48 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perhaps...

...your dealer overfilled your oil????
Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

This makes sense. If the monitor shows the gauge as full (all bars showing all the way to the top) with engine running then when you shut it off more oil will drain and now it will display that you have too much oil. As it says you need to drain oil.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dk1
This makes sense. If the monitor shows the gauge as full (all bars showing all the way to the top) with engine running then when you shut it off more oil will drain and now it will display that you have too much oil. As it says you need to drain oil.
That's what I was thinking although you would conclude an Audi service dept. would know how much oil to put in an Audi engine. Hopefully, it's not going to be a problem driving it until I can have the dealer check it and remove some if necessary..
Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Moviela
I ask simple questions to eliminate obvious simple explainations, never any offense intended.

Was the car level where you made the measurement? Put a carpenter's level on the ground, you might be suprised.
None taken and yes, my garage is only a degree or so off level. I've checked it several time in different places and the same message. BTW, never got that message before. I think the dealer overfilled it at 5K service.

Quick Reply: "Please Drain Oil"