A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Premium plus package and trip computer gaffe

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium plus package and trip computer gaffe

I really like the A4 and I am seriously considering it for my next car.

But there are a couple of irritating points:

1. The tire vibration issue. Hopefully there will soon be a permanent solution.

2. Premium package content and price:

What on earth was Audi thinking when it decided that to get a trip computer you have to step up to the premium plus package? Just a few years ago, it was standard, even on many VW products, such as my lowly base 2002 1.8T Passat ($23K out the door!)

Who else thinks the PP package is kind of overpriced? Now that we don't even get a CD-changer with the 2010 model, what are we really getting for nearly $3500? The obvious one is the Xenon headlights. Great. Then we get a trip computer (their cost is probably just the stalk). We also get slightly wider tires. And then? The rest are mostly gadget-level small things that many people don't mind having, but won't really miss if they didn't have them. Am I in the minority for thinking this way?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

In Canada, I had to pay for the $2000 tech package in order to get Homelink, something that came standard on my 2000 Accord.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by av_audi
I really like the A4 and I am seriously considering it for my next car.

<snip> Am I in the minority for thinking this way?
Probably not, but like me LOTS of people have swallowed hard and paid the price or learned to live without the extras. Audi's sales #'s have considerably outperformed their competition, so they likely won't have any real incentive to change things soon. In the end the A4 was the car I wanted.

2010 is even worse -- no auto dimming mirrors in premium+ -- you have to get prestige -- that would likely have changed my purchase decision...

Last edited by need_TQM; 09-22-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't try to rationalize Audi of America's mentality. It's been wacked for a good ten years. But to their defense, they have to drastically cut costs due to the exchange rates.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

With a VAG, you can add the Trip computer to a Premium sans the stalk and control thru the symphony radio.

Reverese mirror tilt, get a VAG.

Folding mirrors. should have these by default for the car wash palace. Can't help you with that.

Compass in mirror, had that for 6 yrs on last A4, never used once. Useless, imo.

LED DRL's can be swapped into at a price if you really really think they are a must have. meh. Some can take it or leave it. STFA.

Chrome trim around windows, well, your on your own there. I think looks better without - especially on my black with tint... btr looks seemless to me.

Saving 4 bills, that makes me smile and suits my tastes.

Some want to drop closer to 40K on these A4s (or more w/ S Line). I'll save the extra dough. too each there own.

But that's just my take. Buy whatever makes you happy and modify it or whatever.

Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by belzebutt
In Canada, I had to pay for the $2000 tech package in order to get Homelink, something that came standard on my 2000 Accord.
Yeah, that was pretty stupid. I didn't spend the 2k for it but I'm "stuck" with a garage door opener remote in a 40k car..
Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

i guess we can all make the same argument, but the extra 3500 gets you xenon, music interface ( a must if u ask me ), home link, dual climate control ( a must if u ask my other half but something it should have in premium), better looking rims, and bluetooth.
i guess the packages may not make sence sometimes since we all have different needs, but if you add up music interface , bluetooth, xenon and everything else we can make an argument that 3500 is a fair price when we compare with other models ( i think we could get more for that 3500 but people keep buying them).
i think the tips should be included regardless, i got a good deal on mine, but 130.00 for them its just too much.

i do think if you get a premium plus and want to add navi or b&o you might as well get prestige.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can get Bluetooth, Homelink & AMI on the Premium minus as options included in the base price without the additonal 3500 (4k MSRP) of the Prem Plus model.

IMO only, the Prem Plus decision comes down to if you need the Xenon & LED lights, then it is worth every penny. If not, well use the coinage for your kids college fund or whatever. Rims are subjective.

I do think the OP hit it on the head, after reading his post again:

>>>Who else thinks the PP package is kind of overpriced?<<
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by iflywoe
i guess we can all make the same argument, but the extra 3500 gets you xenon, music interface ...
But once you know that Xenons are an $800-900 standalone option for 3-series BMWs, it is quite hard to swallow the bill for the remaining features you get, which clearly do not add up to anything close to $2600.

... i think we could get more for that 3500 but people keep buying them
The A4 certainly seems to be selling like hot cakes in Los Angeles, based on the number of cars I now see on the road. But someone here (or at VWvortex) complained that dealers were stocking mostly premiums since consumers are apparently unwilling to fork over the money for the PP package. But that may have been in a smaller market, not big urban markets like L.A. or New York.

As to the prestige package, add to it the S-line and auto transmission, and you suddenly have a price tag of 44K on carsdirect. That's within a few grands of the currently discounted supercharged 2009 A6. In fact, the price of the A6 was around $42K a couple of months ago due to a huge factory incentive. I actually seriously considered grabbing one because of the bigger interior, but the lack of manual transmission was one more compromise I wasn't willing to make yet. I am of the older school that prefers getting more car than gadget options with additional money, and at well above the $40K mark, a compact with a four banger doesn't make much sense anymore to me.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
IMO only, the Prem Plus decision comes down to if you need the Xenon & LED lights, then it is worth every penny. If not, well use the coinage for your kids college fund or whatever.
It does indeed seem like it really comes down to the Xenons, which is clearly the most standout and functional option you get in the package. I think Audi is counting on people really wanting them and it is throwing some icing on the cake with the little luxury extras to tip over the consumer.

Quick Reply: Premium plus package and trip computer gaffe