A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Premium plus package and trip computer gaffe

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob58
You want a $32,000 A4? No problem, but you're going to be missing some stuff.
Well some of us did get a Premium Plus for less then $32k . That package is the best bang for the buck though, look at the shear number of features it adds over a base car. The Premium package is solely designed to meet a price point, as are the FWD models (which I don't even know why Audi even bothers offering, but I guess they sell).
Old 09-23-2009, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Obviously, we were talking MSRP.

I bought my 3.2 Prestige used with only 600 miles for just under $35,000. The original MSRP was $49,600.

"What you can buy it for" is irrelevent. MSRP is the only way to make an apples to apples comparison.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
The Premium package is solely designed to meet a price point, as are the FWD models (which I don't even know why Audi even bothers offering, but I guess they sell).
I am probably in the minority for holding this opinion, but I think Audi makes great FWD cars that are just as worthy of consideration as the AWD models. In the US, Audi is all about Quattro and luxury, but it is not so in Europe where a wider range of trim levels and engines are offered (the same is true for BMW and MB).

Imagine the Premium model we get in the U.S. without sunroof, leather, and few other gadgets, configured as a FWD mated to a manual transmission. It would be a $25K car like nothing else on the road.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're not alone.

I've owned both flavors of Audi several times each.

I prefer Quattro regardless of climate but Audi makes a fine FWD vehicle and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a great FWD for a daily driver (especially in a warm climate).
Old 09-23-2009, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob58
I bought my 3.2 Prestige used with only 600 miles for just under $35,000. The original MSRP was $49,600.
You my friend, are one of the lucky ones! A 09 3.2 with low mileage is pert near impossible to find, let alone at that price. Good lord!
How in the world did you find it?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
Imagine the Premium model we get in the U.S. without sunroof, leather, and few other gadgets, configured as a FWD mated to a manual transmission. It would be a $25K car like nothing else on the road.
There are some crazy people who'd want one too, less stuff to break. Audi did make FWD cars with power nothing, an oil dipstick, and cloth seats at one time (basically a tarted up VW Quantum with 4 rings). Later on they only exported power everything cars, but with cloth and rarely without a sunroof ... that after 20 years gracefully aged to the point they have no power options (see exhibit A, my other Audi... 4000 quattro). Hence my dislike of an electronic oil level gauge, their track record hasn't been the greatest in that department.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
You my friend, are one of the lucky ones! A 09 3.2 with low mileage is pert near impossible to find, let alone at that price. Good lord!
How in the world did you find it?
A lot of high volume dealers here in NJ get Audi Employee Executive leased cars to sell. One common configuration happens to be 3.2L Prestige. Heck, Paul Miller had an Ibis White/Black Leather 3.2 Prestige with Navigation on the lot used, had 3000 miles and a price tag just beyond my reach.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It was a "Perfect Storm" scenario.

My car had been in a, relatively minor, accident in port requiring quarter panel replacement.

Audi had it professionally repaired but the damage had been too great to sell the car as new so they, eventually, sent it to auction.

As far as I know, my '09 was one of the first new A4s to ever hit the auction market so there really was no historical auction data for the model yet.

The wholesaler I bought my car from purchased it at auction for a song and I bought it from them for a song and a few extra notes.

Since I bought my car in March, that same wholesaler has had at least four 3.2 A4 Premium Plus models with few other options that they have listed for over $38K so I think that the timing of my car hitting the auction had a great deal to do with the price. More even than the accident.

The car has a clean carfax, a clean title, full remaining factory warranty and a perfect professional repair.

I was just in the right place at the right time.

I only mentioned the price I paid for my car to highlight the fact the MSRP is the only viable way to compare car prices because there are an impossible number of variables to consider if you try to compare "street pricing".

Last edited by Bob58; 09-25-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I debated long and hard and ultimately got the plus. I "ordered" my 6MT (waited 6 months for it to come in) before the economy took a nose dive. Not sure I would have gone with the plus if it had hit earlier. Having said that, now that I have it I am glad I got the plus and value all of the "gadgets" much more than I thought I would. The lights are obviously the favorite. Regarding price, Audi is maximizing profit relative to demand and based on the number of plus A4s I see on the road they are probably priced right with that in mine. Me personally, if price was the prioirty I would not have gotten an A4.

The option I got that hands down is my favorite is the sport suspension. There is a huge difference vs standard and it is by no means a rough ride, making the car a blast to drive. I will never buy another car with out it.

Randy
Old 09-26-2009, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Randy_31
The option I got that hands down is my favorite is the sport suspension. There is a huge difference vs standard and it is by no means a rough ride, making the car a blast to drive. I will never buy another car with out it.
The sport suspension seemed like a no-brainer for the B5 generation. But with each new redesign, the standard suspension got sportier, to the point now that is seems some owners and reviewers are recommending sticking with the standard suspension if the car is going to be just a family car. I guess I would have to drive both back to back to decide for myself. In terms of ride quality, I suspect the difference shows up only on rough crappy city street roads.

Quick Reply: Premium plus package and trip computer gaffe