A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Question regarding the paint on my hood and my warranty :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding the paint on my hood and my warranty :(

Ok so I've known about this "spot" / "stain" on my the hood of my car. I washed it, clay bar, didnt polish though because I want to see what audi will say on Sat when I get my 5k service. What do you guys think? It's obviously a blemish in the paint. My owners manual is kinda confusing as to what is covered in my warranty. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. Thanks everyone!
Attached Images    
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's pretty hard to tell much based on the photos you provide. Do you have photos of this where you are zoomed out a bit so we can see where the marks are in correlation to body parts, etc?

Audi has one of the most involved paint processes in the industry. It seems difficult to believe that the car left the factory looking this way.

Which leaves one of several possibilities;

1. The car was damaged in transit and was repaired at port. If that was the case then it should be documented.

2. The car was damaged at the dealer and was repaired. If this happens there are rules that vary state by state about selling it as new, etc. I once dated a girl who bought a BMW that the dealer had destroyed the paint on. The idiot in the shop sprayed brake cleaner on the hood and wiped it down with a rag thinking he was using some thing safe to use on the paint. The dealer came clean, knocked $3500 off the price of the car and she bought the car against my objections only to find out that it needed followup repainting three times over the next two years as the paint continued flaking and having other problems.

3. The car was damaged once it was in your possession and you simply didn't notice it immediately. If you look at the left mark it actually looks like someone took their hand and made "devil horns" with their pinky and index finger. There are a number of chemicals, etc, that could have left these kinds of impressions.

At the end of the day, it's your responsibility as the buyer to inspect the car thoroughly before you take delivery and sign for it. Now it's your word against the dealers on whether the car was truly delivered in this condition or whether something happened after you took delivery and you simply aren't aware of it.

The best option for you might simply be to take the car to a body shop and claim the damage on your insurance. There are quality body shops that can do a pretty good job with matching paint on Audis and other luxury brands and warranty the work for as long as you own the vehicle.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Viper_080
Ok so I've known about this "spot" / "stain" on my the hood of my car. I washed it, clay bar, didnt polish though because I want to see what audi will say on Sat when I get my 5k service. What do you guys think? It's obviously a blemish in the paint. My owners manual is kinda confusing as to what is covered in my warranty. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. Thanks everyone!
I've seen this before on one other new Audi and on few new Lexus, but I can't say for sure its the same thing without seeing it in person. If it is though all you have to do it take a heat gun to the affected areas and its should go away. Make sure you don't get the paint too hot though.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a spot on my hood the size of a dime. It might have been an animal dropping or water spot, but it was bothering me. I tried the usual clay, Nxt, car cleaner to no good result.

I took my car to a detailer who I found by asking who was good at a detail supply shop. For $200. my car came back looking better than the first time I drove the car. Smooth. Deep shine, too. I knew that if anything was painted, it would never be as good as the factory paint process.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

nice, yeah it looks like im just gonna get it detailed and hope for the best. thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is definitely a nasty paint blemish. Well worthy of some sarcastic flashing of the horns!