A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Rear facing car seat in B8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear facing car seat in B8?

Hello,

I have been looking at getting the B8 S4 (I have a 2006 A6 4.2) but I need to get realife experience from people who have the B8 platform with a rear facing infant car seat behind the passenger seat (The B8 A4/S4 have the same dimensions so I figure I could post on this forum).

I test drove a B8 S4 recently and the rear quarter appears bigger than they used to be but still quite small when you look at how huge infant rear facing car seat are (It gets better when they are forward facing).

How is it working for you? How tall is the passenger in your car and how comfortable is she/he with a rear facing infant car seat behind? Have you found a seat that seems to work better?

Thx.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default We have the Graco infant seat

My wife is 5'6" and she say's that she's reasonably comfortable. I'm 5'11" and just went out to the garage for you. My knees were pressed against the dash and seat was too upright, so there's a reason I always drive.

Don't know if that helps.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

We have a forward facing seat behind the driver and a rear facing seat behind the passenger seat. The rear facing simply wouldn't fit behind the drivers seat in my position (I'm 6' tall).

Basically with one rear facing it's not an issue for us. If we needed two rear facing then it would be.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default We also have a forward facing behind the driver's seat

Adding on to my original reply...

My son is 3 1/2, and it's not really an issue with his seat behind the driver and the rear facing behind the passenger seat.

Tarmac101 - If you only have one seat to worry about now, I don't know if anyone's tried it in the back middle, and if you'd gain some room there. The downside is that you wouldn't have the LATCH, and I can't remember if the seat is raised there, which might make it harder to not lean to one side or another.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Issaquah Coug
My wife is 5'6" and she say's that she's reasonably comfortable. I'm 5'11" and just went out to the garage for you. My knees were pressed against the dash and seat was too upright, so there's a reason I always drive.

Don't know if that helps.
It does help. Thanks for making the trip to your garage to check.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Issaquah Coug
Adding on to my original reply...

My son is 3 1/2, and it's not really an issue with his seat behind the driver and the rear facing behind the passenger seat.

Tarmac101 - If you only have one seat to worry about now, I don't know if anyone's tried it in the back middle, and if you'd gain some room there. The downside is that you wouldn't have the LATCH, and I can't remember if the seat is raised there, which might make it harder to not lean to one side or another.
We already have a little girl who is now in a forward facing seat. So the rear facing seat would be for our second child and would be behind the passenger. I doubt that would manage rear facing seat in the middle and forward facing seat behind driver.

My wife is 5'6 as well and I am 5'11 like you, so you are the perfect comparison What car seat do you have? Do you mind posting a pic?

Thx.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tarmac101
We already have a little girl who is now in a forward facing seat. So the rear facing seat would be for our second child and would be behind the passenger. I doubt that would manage rear facing seat in the middle and forward facing seat behind driver.

My wife is 5'6 as well and I am 5'11 like you, so you are the perfect comparison What car seat do you have? Do you mind posting a pic?

Thx.
You'll be fine if you drive. You wife will be ok. And in a year, you'll put it forward facing anyways so do it. The B8 is a great family car.