A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Replacement Key Cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Key Cost

Hi, I think I lost my immobilizer key to my 2010 A4. Does anyone know how much a replacement costs? I've heard you need a dealer to program one, but there might be some cheaper options. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Breathtakingly expensive$
Old 05-20-2010, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Breathtakingly expensive$
a new key plus labor, im not sure but for the b7 i ended up spending 255.00 once. its ripoff, for a key!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iflywoe
a new key plus labor, im not sure but for the b7 i ended up spending 255.00 once. its ripoff, for a key!!!
Yeah, they're very spendy units, even more than that on the 2010 models. That's why the dealerships offer the extra 4 yr/50k mls replacement key insurance policy (zero deductible policy only costs around $250). They're literally trying to make up for Audi's lack of not rolling the keys into the bumper to bumper factory warranty. The policy will pay for itself (and still save you money) if you misplace or damage just one key in the lifetime of the policy. It's a no-brainer, imo.

Anyhow, I've heard (but not verified) there are units for sale online for much less, but keep in mind the programming is somewhat involved, and will most likely require a VCDS (VAG-COM) system to get it operational.

Last edited by B8aruba; 05-20-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Anyhow, I've heard (but not verified) there are units for sale online for much less, but keep in mind the programming is somewhat involved, and will most likely require a VCDS (VAG-COM) system to get it operational.
Word is that you HAVE to order your key through the dealership. The factory does part of the coding based on your VIN. Then the dealership finishes the coding once your key arrives.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dirtysoil
Word is that you HAVE to order your key through the dealership. The factory does part of the coding based on your VIN. Then the dealership finishes the coding once your key arrives.
Just looked up my key protection policy and called my salesman at the dealership. He verified what dirtysoil stated above is correct, a replacement key has to be ordered specifically from the factory, by a dealership, using your VIN. Without the dealership verification and your VIN, there's no current way (at least not readily available for DIY) for one to obtain a new key fob and successfully program it. Makes sense from a security standpoint, but it's also due to the technology being matched to each specific car's module. They must also complete the coding at the dealership, which is the part I would assume a VCDS could do. Sounds like the dealership is the way to go on this one...
Old 05-21-2010, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Note to self- don't ever lose my effin key!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I talked to a couple dealers about it. Sounds like you can't buy a used key and get it reprogrammed. Once they are a coded keys are "purposed" for one car only. Cost is fairly standard for the key parts- $60-65 for the laser etching, $130 for the transmitter fob; but "labor" to do the programming varies - $65-120 (some said 1/2 hour, some said 1 hour). Cheapest total price I was told was $220, but not everyone I spoke to realized there were separate costs for the laser etching and the transmitter. Basically, expect to pay $250.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh, and then there's tax on top of that.

Originally Posted by redwolf056
I talked to a couple dealers about it. Sounds like you can't buy a used key and get it reprogrammed. Once they are a coded keys are "purposed" for one car only. Cost is fairly standard for the key parts- $60-65 for the laser etching, $130 for the transmitter fob; but "labor" to do the programming varies - $65-120 (some said 1/2 hour, some said 1 hour). Cheapest total price I was told was $220, but not everyone I spoke to realized there were separate costs for the laser etching and the transmitter. Basically, expect to pay $250.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redwolf056
Such robbery.

Quick Reply: Replacement Key Cost