A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Replacement tires for S-line Avant

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement tires for S-line Avant

So, our Avant is coming up on 20K miles, and the original Dunlop SportMaxx's are on their last legs. Noisy! My how those tires are noisy around 4/32 tread!

Anyone with S-line B8's find replacements they are happy with?
We use dedicated snow tires, so all-season tires need not apply.

As always, thanks in advance for any input!

~pino
Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace them with Continental Extreme Contacts DSW.These tires are phenomenal.Rated #1 in category.High performance all season.
www.thetirerack.com

price them!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way in the Snow,with the blizzards we got in the East Coast Jersey this past winter..........SOLID! Best tires I have ever bought.TRUST ME!!!

you can get 4 for around 650 shipped.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an S-line sedan with 14,000 miles running 19" Pirelli PZero tires and I'm not very happy with the way they have been wearing. They have become quite noisy at all speeds and they make a particularly annoying pulsating sound at speeds less than 20 mph which I'm hoping will be remedied somewhat by a tire rotation at my 15,000 mile service. I'm already thinking of which brand of tires I will replace these with. I was considering the Dunlop SportMaxx GTs but if these are known for becoming noisy as well, then I don't think I will condsider these. Anyone know of any good all-seasons or well wearing sport tires that will fit the 19" S-line wheels?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Replacement tires for S-line Avant

Originally Posted by ~pino~
..My how those tires are noisy around 4/32 tread!..
Maybe this is a given for an S-line, but if not, you should specify what dimensions you need. Performance, and especially noise, depends on the size and profile.

From various reports here it seems that an important characteristic for an Audi B8 is the sensitivity for "flattening" over night.

I don't have your set up, but for what it's worth,
I have noticed this effect on all cars I had (of different makes). Now running my B8 3.2 quattro, on stock 245/40 18" Bridgstone (Potenza RE 050A) it is not worse than the others. I don't notice it every day, but when I do it disappears after a minute. (I have the (european) regulated sports suspension so it might be different from your (US?) S-line.)
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Toyo Proxes 4 are great all season tires. Love them!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on my B5 Audi and I absolutely love them. They perform like crazy and they give me tons of confidence when it rains. I've never used the Conti Extreme Contacts but if they are like the Pilot Sport A/S's then go for it. I will get the Michelin's because I can get them installed at Costco.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Former Vendor

You can get a smoother and quieter ride as well as longer tread wear by going to an all-season tire. Just be aware that all-season tires will be a step down in dry grip and steering response. Top all sesaon tires would include the Michelin Sport A/S Plus, Conti Extreme Contact DWS, and Pirelli PZero Nero A/S.

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...ires/index.jsp
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ryanPA
I have an S-line sedan with 14,000 miles running 19" Pirelli PZero tires and I'm not very happy with the way they have been wearing. They have become quite noisy at all speeds and they make a particularly annoying pulsating sound at speeds less than 20 mph which I'm hoping will be remedied somewhat by a tire rotation at my 15,000 mile service. I'm already thinking of which brand of tires I will replace these with. I was considering the Dunlop SportMaxx GTs but if these are known for becoming noisy as well, then I don't think I will condsider these. Anyone know of any good all-seasons or well wearing sport tires that will fit the 19" S-line wheels?
The PZero Russo is not a very good tire. They aren't PZeros, they are the cheap version. I have pretty much zero tread left on about 22000km. My god my Blizzak winter sports have more grip on dry pavement then the PZero Russos did new.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ryanPA
I have an S-line sedan with 14,000 miles running 19" Pirelli PZero tires and I'm not very happy with the way they have been wearing. They have become quite noisy at all speeds and they make a particularly annoying pulsating sound at speeds less than 20 mph I was considering the Dunlop SportMaxx GTs but if these are known for becoming noisy as well, then I don't think I will condsider these.
Yep, this is the exact situation with the SportMaxx GT I am experiencing (and hoping to avoid).
S-line tire size is 255/35R19. Not a small tire by any means.

The Continental's are on the radar (DW &DWS) as are Michelin PS2 and PS A/S. Maybe even Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.
I also see Falken's listed at a low price at tires.com. Anyone have any experience with that brand?

Quick Reply: Replacement tires for S-line Avant