A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Ringing/Whistling sound post APR upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ringing/Whistling sound post APR upgrade

Performance and drivability have been phenomenal after the APR upgrade. However, at certain times, mainly during acceleration, there is a very faint whistling/ringing sound that I never noticed before. It actually sounds closest to a high pitched telephone ring.

Is this normal? Is this the turbo spooling up or the diverter valve handling excess pressure?

The last turbo vehicle I'd been in was an '86 Audi 5000CS...back then, the turbo sounded more like a jet turbine...so I'm wondering what this new sound is?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it sounds like a warbling bird, yes that's the turbo. And it's normal, post-chip.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the same noise with the GIAC ECU. It's normal.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

The turbo has always had a whistle to it, but its always been subtle. However, after APR I agree with you, a lot louder and kinda does sound like a ring...sounds good, no complaints here!

what program are you on?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I love that turbo whistle. It is way too faint on the stock car. I can't wait to get the chip!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiTX87
The turbo has always had a whistle to it, but its always been subtle. However, after APR I agree with you, a lot louder and kinda does sound like a ring...sounds good, no complaints here!

what program are you on?
on the east coast so running the 93 program. Really happy about the upgrade - makes the a4 a totally different car.

on the other hand, does anyone remember turbine-sounding turbos (pretty much like a plane taking off)? Or was that tune only available on turbos of old. As I recall, the '86 Audi my parents had was an oil cooled turbo...
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by userbbc
on the other hand, does anyone remember turbine-sounding turbos (pretty much like a plane taking off)? Or was that tune only available on turbos of old. As I recall, the '86 Audi my parents had was an oil cooled turbo...
Oh yes, I remember. My Porsche 944 turbo (951 for those in the know) sounded like a jet engine. Loved that sound, but that car had more lag than I cared for (it was a peaky creature).

Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What kind of performance increase are you guys noticing while driving? I mean in terms of 0-60 0-100 etc? Is the car more responsive in the higher rev ranges or mainly low down with all the extra ftlbs?

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2009, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by userbbc
The MC engine (which is a popular swap into the 4000/Coupe GT) used a larger K26 turbo with longer spool up time.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by whiterabbit66
What kind of performance increase are you guys noticing while driving? I mean in terms of 0-60 0-100 etc? Is the car more responsive in the higher rev ranges or mainly low down with all the extra ftlbs?

Thanks,
the car feels like it drives effortlessly with all the torque. doesnt take much to go from a stop, passing power is adequate even without downshifting, and the top end feels less anemic, actually top end feels a lot better.

alsohttp://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301302

Quick Reply: Ringing/Whistling sound post APR upgrade