A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st

On a brand new 2010 A4 with the Prestige package I'm noticing the following.

1) rough shifting from 1st to 2nd at slow speeds
2) rough shifting from 2nd to 1st when applying the breaks at a stop

problem does not happen at higher RPMs or in Sport mode.

If I manually shift tiptronic driving in say a parking lot at > 1,000 RPMs problem is very noticeable. Car hesitates and almost lunges forward as if the transition from 1 to 2 is not well coordinated.

Problem seems to happen after a warm start, and on a cold start since the engine revs higher before shifting it's not as noticeable.

All other gears are very smooth.

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant to say < 1,000 rpms, at over 2,000 rpms shifting from 1 to 2nd is pretty smooth (which is where sport mode shifts).
Old 12-07-2009, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think if you search in this forum, you might find some helpful information on this - it has definitely been raised before.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AvantMore
I think if you search in this forum, you might find some helpful information on this - it has definitely been raised before.
What makes you think I didn't search this form (and audiforums, and the internet at large)? The only useful / related info to this that I could find based on the search terms I use was some guy who had a similar problem with a Jetta and it was related to a bad valve or something.

Anyhow, I stopped by my dealer today and the foreman drove around with me and witnessed the issue. I'll be in for service on the 18th to hopefully have it fixed.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OP, I know exactly what you are referring to. I actually experience the same issue on my car. I would say if the shift (1st to 2nd) happens at or near 2,000 rpm, it's much smoother.

From 1st to 2nd, I wouldn't call it "rough" but you can definitely feel some sort of bumping sound/feel, whatever you call it.

I've raised this issue with the dealership before and they just said there is nothing wrong with it. Please let me know how your experience with your dealership goes. Maybe, if they find something and fix it, my dealership will more likely to do the same if I point them in the right direction ...
Old 12-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What model year car do you have?

I can tell you that the A4 I test drove did not have this problem and the foreman said it wasn't normal.

For me it's equally bad going up and down. When I come to a rolling stop, i can really feel it. The foreman mentioned that it's almost like the car is confused about what gear it should be in.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shahineo
What model year car do you have?

I can tell you that the A4 I test drove did not have this problem and the foreman said it wasn't normal.

For me it's equally bad going up and down. When I come to a rolling stop, i can really feel it. The foreman mentioned that it's almost like the car is confused about what gear it should be in.
Mine is 2009 A4, 3.2, non-S Line.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=shahineo;23894619]What makes you think I didn't search this form (and audiforums, and the internet at large)? The only useful / related info to this that I could find based on the search terms I use was some guy who had a similar problem with a Jetta and it was related to a bad valve or something. QUOTE]

Becuase if you did, you would have found this by searching "transmission." Looks like the same issue to me:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...t=transmission

Might or might not be exactly what you were looking for, but I don't think you should take offense at my suggestion that you might find a lot of potentially helpful information already posted here... I didn't exactly call you a moron or anything...
Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the link. I didn't manage to see that before, and it appears like the same issue so I will make sure to print and bring to the dealership.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick Reply: rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st