A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snuffy
Had mine in today, hoping that the TSB mentioned above would solve the rough shifting issues. Went for a drive with the technician, with the diagnostic computer hooked up and he was able to replicate the harsh shifting, but said that this was something that all the automatic B8 A4's do, that the TSB was only applicable to the CVT/FrontTracks, that there were no fixes for this, and that there were no other applicable software fixes for my vehicle. He said that this is just a trait of the shift program where the computer needs a couple of seconds to fully downshift into first, so the "solution" is to come to a complete stop for a couple of seconds before starting up again. (Not really a good solution in my book.)

For those of you who have had the TSB done (Shahineo and others?), do you have the CVT? Maybe I've got a loose motor mount or something else?

Gotta say that I'm pretty disappointed in the car because of this. I LOVE the car, but this shifting problem really makes me mad. If I'd bought a Chevy Cobalt, maybe this would go with the territory, but it's not something I expect in an Audi or in a car for this price.

Comments or suggestions? Should I "swap" for a stick shift?
I have a quattro.

What he told you is BS. Print out this thread and go back to him or find a different dealer who will apply the fix (flashing the Transmission).

I had the same problem, fix applied, 300 miles later no more funny shifting.

How many miles do you have on the car?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, Shahineo. I've got 1600 miles on it (took delivery less than 2 months ago) and have been dealing with it almost since Day 1. I thought there would be some "get to know me" time when I bought it so I didn't make my first call about this until I had about 1000 miles. Service advisor I dealt with at first said there were no TSB's and that there was nothing wrong with the car. Tried a different advisor who said he had dealt with this and I should bring it in, but then I had the experience I did today.

Unfortunately, nearest dealer other than where I bought it is in Houston, about 2 1/2 hrs away. Guess I'll play this game again tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just got mine fixed, too.
The TSB is the same here in Canada. 2021193/1.
Problem solved immediately.

Originally Posted by shahineo
Just got back from my dealer.

There is a TSB for this issue:

TSB# is 2021193/1

they reflashed my transmission and said it could take up to 1,000 miles for problem to completely go away.

Upon leaving the dealership I def noticed it's a lot better.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Last I spoke to the Service Manager there was not a fix but I take it in next week for the 5K and will provide him with the TSB and see where it goes. I too am very disappointed in the first gear ****** and have learned to come to a full stop and wait 2 seconds before taking off. It is a definite bad mark on an otherwise great car.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I find the fix not only fixes the 1st/2nd gear problem, but makes the tiptronic much smoother overall when in manual mode.

Originally Posted by Shorrock
Last I spoke to the Service Manager there was not a fix but I take it in next week for the 5K and will provide him with the TSB and see where it goes. I too am very disappointed in the first gear ****** and have learned to come to a full stop and wait 2 seconds before taking off. It is a definite bad mark on an otherwise great car.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for not updating with the latest on mine. Had it in to the shop back in January and took the service manager with me. Then we drove a brand new one straight off the lot, and the service mgr agreed that mine was definitely shifting worse than the new one. He emailed AoA and it just so happens that the AoA tech rep he was in touch with was aware of the problem because his demo does the same thing!

AoA got back to my dealer with a fix, which did the job. They specifically said that it was not a TSB, nor did they "reflash" the transmission program, but it really sounds like they did whatever Audi considers the equivalent of "reflashing" the transmission is without actually calling it that.

Bottom line: They fixed the problem, so I'm now very happy with the car. Sorry I don't have more details than this, and they didn't write much in the way of details in the service write up, but AoA is definitely aware of the problem, and was able to tell my service dept what to do to fix it.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting, I thought my 2010 A4 quattro was a little rough shifting, but figured it was the charateristics of the auto trans. I wonder if a software upgrade will help it out. I have almost 4k miles on it, so I'll mention it when I go in for the 5k service soon. I also had a big clunking start when I pressed fairly hard on the gas from a stop light. Scared my wife and I! I wonder if that's related. Sounded like it was coming from the center or back of the car though.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Brought this exact issue up when I brought my car in for 25K maintenance and was pretty much told it was a figment of my imagination. I hate dealerships...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2011 A4 Avant and am seeing this issue (or something similar) w/ the 8-speed transmission in that.

I found this thread on a different forum (apologies if posting links to elsewhere is not allowed - I'm new here):
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...oftware-recall. Seems like the same issue.

Interestingly, I called my local dealer and they said that the fix had most likely already been applied (bought my car in December 2010). I'm taking it in on Saturday and will post back with the results.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same shifting issues on my 2010 A4 (6spd Tip Quattro) since brand new, my car has just over 17,000 miles and almost a year old now. I have brought up the TSB number mentioned in this thread at my 10,000 mile service and been told it doesn't apply to my car.

I had my car in for service recently and had a 2011 A4 (8sp Tip Quattro) for a loaner and the tranny seems to have the same issues. They did reset my car back to "basic settings" which I've told it resets the learning functions. It's only been a day so I'm cautious to say if things are better.

Quick Reply: rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st