A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

On a Scale of 1 to 10 How fun is your A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say right now when there is winter outside it's about 9, if I could deactivate the ESP-thingie my A4 would easily be an 11. There's no more fun than winter driving! At summer I'd say maybe 7.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
Why do you have to mod?

Isn't that why you have the AMG?
The A4 is much cheaper to mod, and to be honest It's a little more fun. My C63 is a fun car, but maintenance for basic things like service and brakes makes it unaffordable for the average guy like me to track it as much as I track my A4.

I think the gains from modding the A4 are much more noticeable also. I haven't even come close to $5k in mods, and I've bought a tune, exhaust, intake, track wheels/tires, and coilovers. $5k on my C63 would MAYBE get me a tune and exhaust. The biggest gains on the C63 are a tune with LT headers. After that, your spending thousands and thousands on items that only have very few gains.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NickZag
The A4 is much cheaper to mod, and to be honest It's a little more fun. My C63 is a fun car, but maintenance for basic things like service and brakes makes it unaffordable for the average guy like me to track it as much as I track my A4.
Just FYI, average guys usually don't have A4's and C63's in their garage..

Times are tough out there.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BananSWE
..if I could deactivate the ESP-thingie...
Why can't you switch ESP off (with a long press on ESP Off button) ?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
Why can't you switch ESP off (with a long press on ESP Off button) ?
I have an A4 allroad and when i push the button it goes in to offroad-mode, then it allows wheel spin and lets you go a little bit wide in the corners, but not much. And the car will never allow a rebound so it's impossible to flick it in to corners by skidding to opposite direction of the turn to get some pendulum effect. Takes some of the fun out of the driving.

If I hold the button nothing more happens until I have held it long enough (maybe 20-30 sec), then it activates ASR/ESP again.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 PM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
This thread is simpy representing the difference in the drivers and not reflecting the A4 at all.

For some people it's the best car they've ever sat behind the wheels of. For other it's a very capable family car.

Fun is very reletive to what you've been in before. Therefore although I'm mightily impressed with my A4 and it's handling etc, I couldn't give it more than a 6 or 7.

Fun to me means Lotus's, Caterhams, track cars etc.
I think it would only be fair to rate it within its category and price range. Yes, a track car is more fun but it can't be used as a daily driver/family car. An M3 is probably a lot more fun but it's not a fair comparison either.

I rate mine (without mods) at 8.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

with sports package and an ECU tune, I'd give the B8 an 8.5
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jpinwdc
1 = it's boring
10 - it's fantastic!
I'd like to suggest a new scale:

1 - it's a domestic rental car
10 - it's an S4
Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NickZag

I think the gains from modding the A4 are much more noticeable also. I haven't even come close to $5k in mods, and I've bought a tune, exhaust, intake, track wheels/tires, and coilovers. $5k on my C63 would MAYBE get me a tune and exhaust. The biggest gains on the C63 are a tune with LT headers. After that, your spending thousands and thousands on items that only have very few gains.
Your C63 should be good to go on the track with just brake fluid (Motul RBF600). If you're really cooking out there, you can change the brake pads. Otherwise, your only wear item is tires and brake rotors.

My S4 did great at Thunderhill. I'm going to do brake fluid before Laguna Seca. And I may try Carbotech race pads for Infineon.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Upgrading from a '98 Nissan Altima, it is a 10 for me!

Quick Reply: On a Scale of 1 to 10 How fun is your A4