A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch removal

I have some fine scratches on my rear bumper. I tried some meguiars scratch x 2.0 on it today, but it didn't help. Any suggestions on other products to try? Or should I just take it to a detailer?

Also, are there any products that would take out a light scuff mark? thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

im trien to find a professional detailer. Hopefully get rid of the swirl marks from the crappy buffers at Audi. for your situation i wouldnt know what to do. I know you asked the right q's at the right place tho.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks. I think I will just goto a detailer then. My hood has the awful buffer swirl marks you mentioned. It gives it that hologram effect. Hopefully something can be done about it. Fortunately it is only visible in certain light.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

yea its the same with mine as well. got to get a certain type of light or perfect angle to actually see them.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are certainly methods and products that can remove light scratches and scuff marks. Your car needs to be polished.

The main question is whether you want to invest in the products and learn the techniques, or have a professional detailer do the job. I'm guessing that the majority of folks would have a pro take care of things. From everything I have read, people who are meticulous about their cars have them detailed a few times each year.

If you do have it detailed, make sure you are working with somebody experienced and reputable.

Should you decide to explore detailing on your own, you may want to check out www.griottsgarage.com. I have used only their stuff for hand washing/waxing since taking delivery of my 2010 A4. They have a good website, great catalogues, and some very handy detailing materials (books and DVD). Terrific customer service as well.

Good luck with your car.

-- plA4keeps
Old 10-04-2009, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

By the way, excellent choice of colors! My A4 is also Brilliant Black/Black. Nothing like that Brilliant Black shine when it is freshly washed and waxed. Since black shows dust,scratches and scuffs so easily, I have opted to baby the finish and avoid the car washes. So far so good...

--plA4keeps
Old 10-04-2009, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by plA4keeps
By the way, excellent choice of colors! My A4 is also Brilliant Black/Black. Nothing like that Brilliant Black shine when it is freshly washed and waxed. Since black shows dust,scratches and scuffs so easily, I have opted to baby the finish and avoid the car washes. So far so good...

--plA4keeps
Thanks. I hate that black looks the best, but comes at a price. The picture in my profile was taken after washing it at a self service car wash with a pressure washer and a microfiber washmitt. Then I dried it and finished with meguiars quick detail spray (highly recommend it).

That's the extent I'm will to do myself, I'll leave it to the pros for anything more.

I also made the mistake of going threw a car wash when I first got the car and now have tiny micro scratches all over the body, only visible in certain light.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

TGD,
My weekly regimen (Sunday morning therapy) is to handwash and finish off with some Griott's Garage "Spray On Wax". I enjoy the wash, but I'm finding cleaning the rims to be a bit time consuming and cumbersome. Must be my old and aching back! The Brilliant Black shows dust so easily, when I know the car is still clean, I will gently dust. I love using Griott's "Speed Shine" in between washes.

In my part of town, there are Delta Sonic Touch Less car washes. As these are not completely touch free, I am thinking of trying one of those touch free laser wash places. I know there are blowers and I can also finish off the drying with my own clean microfiber towels. I wish I lived somewhere warm where I could handwash all year.

-- plA4keeps
Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree with you about the wheel..they are a major pain and always very dirty.

At the self serve place I goto there is a touch free laser stall. I might try it one of these days.

I live in upstate new york, so I am getting ready for 6 brutal months of snow and road salt!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgdA4
I agree with you about the wheel..they are a major pain and always very dirty.

At the self serve place I goto there is a touch free laser stall. I might try it one of these days.

I live in upstate new york, so I am getting ready for 6 brutal months of snow and road salt!
yea.....Im living in Rochester, NY. our rock salt will prob melt your car away in 24 hours. I need to get my car ziebarted. do the rust protection coat under my car or something.

Quick Reply: Scratch removal