A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

sd card audio book

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sd card audio book

Help, how do I load/play a SD card with a MP3 format audio book. The MMI says the slot is empty or unreadable when I install it. I can load audio books to a CD and play them but I would like use the SD card because it is much faster load.

Can a SD be used for audio books?
2009 A4 premium plus
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What size is your Sd card?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure the MP3 is not DRM'd in any way. When you burn it to CD you're most likely stripping the DRM out, hence the reason it works. Where did you get the audio book?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

The card is a SDHC 4GB.
I download the audio books from the Greater Phoenix Digital Library.

I am beginning to think that the card needs to be a SD and not SDHC. Got it today from Radio Shack and they only sell SDHC types with 4GB being the smallest size.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by awss4
I am beginning to think that the card needs to be a SD and not SDHC.
Most 2009 B8 cannot read SDHC cards :-( What year is you car ?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Early 2009, took delivery Oct 2008
Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early 2009, took delivery Oct 2008
Most 2009 MY cars can only accept SD cards. Most cards now on the market are SDHC. The high capacity cards are addressed differently than SD. While most readers are backward compatible, meaning a SDHC reader can parse an old SD card, the Audi cannot see SDHC at all until software version 301. I was lucky that I found a defect in my headunit during warranty. They replaced it with a new unit that had the new reader.

It is confusing because there is no SDHC card smaller than 4GB and there is no SD card larger than 4GB. This overlap means most cards are the newer style SDHC. I have a source for you guys that are stuck with 4GB SD maximum cards.

http://www.flash-memory-store.com/qm...-150x-4gb.html

I have bought from them, and they work in my old headunit. In a batch of ten I had one bad SD card. They replaced it without questions or quibble. If you want them, better get them now. A quick web search shows lots of VW group owners searching for these 4GB cards.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
Most 2009 MY cars can only accept SD cards. Most cards now on the market are SDHC. The high capacity cards are addressed differently than SD. While most readers are backward compatible, meaning a SDHC reader can parse an old SD card, the Audi cannot see SDHC at all until software version 301. I was lucky that I found a defect in my headunit during warranty. They replaced it with a new unit that had the new reader.

It is confusing because there is no SDHC card smaller than 4GB and there is no SD card larger than 4GB. This overlap means most cards are the newer style SDHC. I have a source for you guys that are stuck with 4GB SD maximum cards.

http://www.flash-memory-store.com/qm...-150x-4gb.html

I have bought from them, and they work in my old headunit. In a batch of ten I had one bad SD card. They replaced it without questions or quibble. If you want them, better get them now. A quick web search shows lots of VW group owners searching for these 4GB cards.
Thanks for your excellent explanation. Question about upgrade to SDHC, is it only software? Or is it both hardware and software?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

In the UK a few 2009 cars with SD readers were software upgraded to SDHC but in the main you either have SD or you have SDHC.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Question about upgrade to SDHC, is it only software? Or is it both hardware and software?
Apparently, hardware version 2 would be compatible for an upgrade to version 3.01 and my car has that hardware version, but Audi claims that they is no software upgrade available, so we are stuck !

Some guys in Europe claimed that they were able to get it and that it solved the SDHC problem, but I have been trying to get it for the last two years without any luck...

Quick Reply: sd card audio book