A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Serious Throttle Response Lag - 2010 A4 2.0t-Anyone Else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Serious Throttle Response Lag - 2010 A4 2.0t-Anyone Else?

I have to say that I am seriously considering replacing my 2010 A4 2.0t...and this latest issue has me very concerned...and some other issues are making me re-evaluate my continued relationship with Audi....but on to the problem.

My car has developed a throttle response lag, which appears to be getting somewhat worse with time. The dealer claims they are unable to duplicate the issue, or telling me it's turbo lag (depending on who I speak to), but that is in fact not the case.

Take this scenario--getting on a freeway which has a very short on ramp...moving at about 20-25 mph, I push the throttle down about 3/4 of the way, and it takes 1-1.5 seconds to get ANY engine response. I'd understand it taking a short while (not 1 second) for the turbo to kick in, but the engine should BEGIN to rev up immediately. I have found myself in some dangerous situations getting on local parkways, and basically am losing my faith in the car and in Audi's service department....

Compounding this with my service department's confrontative attitude with regard to my complaints of excessive oil consumption (the GM agrees it is excessive), I am losing my faith in Audi as a brand.

The GM is trying to help me, and has offered me a generous trade in allowance and excellent price on a new A6 (I have driven both the 2012 A6 and the BMW 535xi 24 hours apart on extended test drives).

Has anyone else experienced the excessive throttle lag, and if so, has it been repaired ??
I'd be grateful for any feedback.

I will be posting more about my A6 vs. 535xi thoughts in the C7 thread if anyone is interested.

Thanks all!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing you drive an auto trans. Try putting it in sport and see if that helps.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mike,

It is the 6 speed auto, and I should not have to put it into S mode....in S mode, it only goes up to 5th gear..even on the highway.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say that it *is* turbo lag. I experience it all the time and can duplicate it at anytime. I personally am used to it, and have had the car long enough to know what gear I need to go to in any given situation (6MT).

I plan on dealing with this issue by attacking it on the hardware level:

- APR Intake. More Air in = faster spool.

- EuroCode Intercooler. It comes with an adapter from the Turbo to the pipe that connects to the IC. The same thing between the IC and the Intake, a smooth pipe that takes out the lag associated with the 'sound box' connected to the stock pipe there.

- EuroCode HFC (High Flow Cat). This will allow the exhaust gases to be scavenged out faster, freeing up the turbo to spool faster.

- Catback Exhaust. Get the gases out of the Cat and out in a more efficient manner!

- Eventually, I'll get a software update to the ECU to allow a more efficient program do the work that Audi's stock program should have. I had the APR for 2 months last year, and I could tell from driving away from the first stop light that there was an improvement (no initial lag). Still deciding if I'll go back or go with STaSIS (warranty).

Baring all that, if you don't want to upgrade your car, I'd say get an S4!

Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 06-23-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Additionally, did the Stealership perform a Throttle Body Alignment? That might help a bit.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

The reason I mentioned sport was when you kick down the auto in regular mode I thought it would be slower to respond. Are you having this problem after it is already into a lower gear?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think it's turbo lag, because if it was, there would be SOME response from the engine while waiting for the turbo to spool up. RPM's should begin to increase immediately...but they don't. It's as if the car is ignoring the input from the gas pedal for a second or two.....

No they haven't adjusted anything--they keep telling me no problem found.

If it's normal, I will definitely trade the car in....I consider it dangerous, especially if my wife is driving the car.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 3.2 MT6 with Audi Drive Select. With the Engine Response set to the standard "Auto" setting I too did have a problem with throttle lag.
(Since it is a 3.2 it's clearly not turbo lag.) I found that setting Engine Response to "Dynamic" cured it.

I assume you don't have ADS but it is reported that it is possible to change the Engine Response and Transmission response with VCDS.

Look for 'Audi Drive Select' at this page:
http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/article...des.html#codes

It could be that setting the default mode to "Dynamic" changes also the transmission to the "Sport" mode (which you don't like).
Maybe somebody here knows if changing the transmission to Sport, also changes the Engine Response to "Dynamic" ?

If it is not the same, it could be at least a test to get more info for the problem report. I don't expect that you can talk your dealer into changing the bits for you, so you need VCDS to do the coding.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Art234
My car has developed a throttle response lag, which appears to be getting somewhat worse with time. The dealer claims they are unable to duplicate the issue, or telling me it's turbo lag (depending on who I speak to), but that is in fact not the case.

Compounding this with my service department's confrontative attitude with regard to my complaints of excessive oil consumption (the GM agrees it is excessive), I am losing my faith in Audi as a brand.

Has anyone else experienced the excessive throttle lag, and if so, has it been repaired ??
I'd be grateful for any feedback.
Originally Posted by Art234
It is the 6 speed auto, and I should not have to put it into S mode....in S mode, it only goes up to 5th gear..even on the highway.
I experience this E-throttle lag every time I get an A4 loaner. It is one of the reasons that I had the ECU tune done at purchase. It removes the hesitation completely. I think you have a further issue in that it may be "learning" to be even more hesitant. An ECU reset would tell you right away whether or not that is the issue.

That said, E-throttles on ALL newer cars have some lag as delivered stock. Not as bad as you are describing but even my AMG had that issue until I had it tuned.

In sport mode, the 6spd Tip should shift to 6th at approximately 80 mph under light throttle. You can always use the paddles to shift to 6th and then it will hold 6th until you get on it. At full throttle, the 6spd Tip shifts from 5th to 6th at 140. but that's not something I recommend on a public road in the USA anyways.

Be glad you don't have the CVT tranny. Then you have E-throttle lag compounded by a super slow to react tranny. No thanks...

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
I would say that it *is* turbo lag. I experience it all the time and can duplicate it at anytime. I personally am used to it, and have had the car long enough to know what gear I need to go to in any given situation (6MT).

I plan on dealing with this issue by attacking it on the hardware level:

- APR Intake. More Air in = faster spool.

- EuroCode Intercooler. It comes with an adapter from the Turbo to the pipe that connects to the IC. The same thing between the IC and the Intake, a smooth pipe that takes out the lag associated with the 'sound box' connected to the stock pipe there.

- EuroCode HFC (High Flow Cat). This will allow the exhaust gases to be scavenged out faster, freeing up the turbo to spool faster.

- Catback Exhaust. Get the gases out of the Cat and out in a more efficient manner!

- Eventually, I'll get a software update to the ECU to allow a more efficient program do the work that Audi's stock program should have. I had the APR for 2 months last year, and I could tell from driving away from the first stop light that there was an improvement (no initial lag). Still deciding if I'll go back or go with STaSIS (warranty).

Baring all that, if you don't want to upgrade your car, I'd say get an S4!
Kinda OT but considering all the mods you talk about eventually adding to your A4, I would think that you would have bought an S4 and saved some money and time... Of course you will pay more at the pump but it's all about smiles per gallon not mpg.

I would get an ECU tune and light weight wheels before you spend $$$$ on mods that won't make any difference on the street.

Intercooler upgrade is a waste unless you track your car. If you are just running on the street or even dragstrip, you will have more than enough time between full throttle runs for the factory intercooler to mitigate heat buildup. Better talk to some folks with HFC's about efficiency codes getting thrown. Intake and exhaust will give you more noise. woohoo! A high flow exhaust does offer a few benefits if you can live with the extra noise on a daily basis. First, boost will rise as backpressure is reduced. Second, reducing backpressure will add longevity to the seals by pushing exhaust heat from the turbine housing faster.

Just my experience for the .02 its worth...

Last edited by QUA77R0; 06-24-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
I experience this E-throttle lag every time I get an A4 loaner. It is one of the reasons that I had the ECU tune done at purchase. It removes the hesitation completely. I think you have a further issue in that it may be "learning" to be even more hesitant. An ECU reset would tell you right away whether or not that is the issue.

That said, E-throttles on ALL newer cars have some lag as delivered stock. Not as bad as you are describing but even my AMG had that issue until I had it tuned.

In sport mode, the 6spd Tip should shift to 6th at approximately 80 mph under light throttle. You can always use the paddles to shift to 6th and then it will hold 6th until you get on it. At full throttle, the 6spd Tip shifts from 5th to 6th at 140. but that's not something I recommend on a public road in the USA anyways.

Be glad you don't have the CVT tranny. Then you have E-throttle lag compounded by a super slow to react tranny. No thanks...

Kinda OT but considering all the mods you talk about eventually adding to your A4, I would think that you would have bought an S4 and saved some money and time... Of course you will pay more at the pump but it's all about smiles per gallon not mpg.

I would get an ECU tune and light weight wheels before you spend $$$$ on mods that won't make any difference on the street.

Intercooler upgrade is a waste unless you track your car. If you are just running on the street or even dragstrip, you will have more than enough time between full throttle runs for the factory intercooler to mitigate heat buildup. Better talk to some folks with HFC's about efficiency codes getting thrown. Intake and exhaust will give you more noise. woohoo! A high flow exhaust does offer a few benefits if you can live with the extra noise on a daily basis. First, boost will rise as backpressure is reduced. Second, reducing backpressure will add longevity to the seals by pushing exhaust heat from the turbine housing faster.

Just my experience for the .02 its worth...
I bought the APR exhaust and it isn't loud at all. It fact you cant here it in the car at normal throttle.

I live where the summer temp is 112 to 117 making the asphalt temp 132 to 137 so any thing you can do to get rid of more of that heat then the OEM IC does is a plus IMO. This cooler air also helps keep the turbo temp down.

Quick Reply: Serious Throttle Response Lag - 2010 A4 2.0t-Anyone Else?