A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Serious Throttle Response Lag - 2010 A4 2.0t-Anyone Else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
I find it exhausting to cruse above 110 mph for extended periods of time. Paying too much attention to the surrounding cars and after a couple hours I feel like I have run a marathon.
I have had enough close calls when I lived in Europe. Could have died a couple of times already.

100mph is no brainer and is fun, I agree. You can hardly feel it in this car.

I like the twisties better.
Twisties are great! Highway 50 from Bitburg to Bernkastel is epic. And you are right, Autobahn cruising is a legal high albeit exhausting. just saying everyone should experience it.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gary135r
Twisties are great! Highway 50 from Bitburg to Bernkastel is epic. And you are right, Autobahn cruising is a legal high albeit exhausting. just saying everyone should experience it.
The issue with the fast driving on a highway is that you are not in control of the the behavior of the other drivers around you. I had a close call when an 18-wheeler cut me off while I was driving 100km/h faster, then a taxi cab did it and a mini van did it. In the last case I swerved into the breakdown lane on the right to avoid it, lost traction and spun 270 degrees across the other two lanes of busy traffic and miraculously ended up in one piece in the ditch on the left. I didn't want to drive for couple of days after that.

One can get a kick out of the adrenaline, but it's a product of the risk that they are subjecting themselves to when driving fast.

The twisties and the kick one gets out of the acceleration are similar to the roller-coasters - it's much safer and fun at the same time.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

The issue with the fast driving on a highway is that you are not in control of the the behavior of the other drivers around you. I had a close call when an 18-wheeler cut me off while I was driving 100km/h faster, then a taxi cab did it and a mini van did it. In the last case I swerved into the breakdown lane on the right to avoid it, lost traction and spun 270 degrees across the other two lanes of busy traffic and miraculously ended up in one piece in the ditch on the left. I didn't want to drive for couple of days after that.

One can get a kick out of the adrenaline, but it's a product of the risk that they are subjecting themselves to when driving fast.

The twisties and the kick one gets out of the acceleration are similar to the roller-coasters - it's much safer and fun at the same time.
Was that in Germany? Their driving habits are usually pretty reliable. I know in Italy (where they can drive equally as fast), and other European countries they are not as disciplined.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dukester1
I had a throttle response issue on my wife's A4. And didn't know it until I had a loaner. I know I just didn't like it. I called the dealership and they said they did a transmission software update. Well, it now drives like all the other loaners I've had. Why dont you try that?. I feel bad your having this problem. And I too know it was there. And I agree it's dangerous.
I have complained about this issue almost every time the car was in for service, and they say no problem found. Coupled with the oil consumption issue, the one thing I know for sure is that either my Audi dealer or my BMW dealer is going to have a used 2010 A4 on their lot within the next couple of weeks.

If they had said they could reset the memory and do a software update on the transmission, I'd let them do it...but now it's too late......
Old 06-24-2011, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
Kinda OT but considering all the mods you talk about eventually adding to your A4, I would think that you would have bought an S4 and saved some money and time... Of course you will pay more at the pump but it's all about smiles per gallon not mpg.

I would get an ECU tune and light weight wheels before you spend $$$$ on mods that won't make any difference on the street.

Intercooler upgrade is a waste unless you track your car. If you are just running on the street or even dragstrip, you will have more than enough time between full throttle runs for the factory intercooler to mitigate heat buildup. Better talk to some folks with HFC's about efficiency codes getting thrown. Intake and exhaust will give you more noise. woohoo! A high flow exhaust does offer a few benefits if you can live with the extra noise on a daily basis. First, boost will rise as backpressure is reduced. Second, reducing backpressure will add longevity to the seals by pushing exhaust heat from the turbine housing faster.

Just my experience for the .02 its worth...
I had an S4 on order, but I had to refuse it since I got the 'no-go' from the (at that time) fiancee (now wife) regarding the monthly payment, she was ok with the A4 so we compromised.

I had the APR tune last year, but it fried my ECU. Needless to say, the wife was pissed... so for now the mods are going to be hardware based. I know the IATs aren't huge from daily driving, but it'll be interesting to see what the Turbo outlet adapter and the lack of a sound box do to allow faster turbo spooling.

I understand with an HFC that the only 100% way to get rid of the CEL is to upgrade w/ APR Stage 1.5 or 2.
I'm following a thread on AZ where someone is using a newer spacer on the 2nd o2 spacer on the Cat. It could solve the CEL issue w/out an APR upgrade.

I'm still on the fence regarding which exhaust to go with... down to two choices.

I hear what yer saying, though. Wheels are on my wish list when I get more chump change. That's a whole can of worms I'm not ready to get into yet.

Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 07-03-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gary135r
Was that in Germany? Their driving habits are usually pretty reliable. I know in Italy (where they can drive equally as fast), and other European countries they are not as disciplined.
The first two were in Europe, but not in Germany. The 270 spin as in the US. It's not about being disciplined. It's mostly about not seeing the speeding guy when changing lanes. At these speeds you look to the left to change the lane, blink, make a move, and car fills up your rear view mirror out of nowhere.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
I had the APR tune last year, but it fried my ECU.
Never heard about such a thing. What happened?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
Of course you will pay more at the pump but it's all about smiles per gallon not mpg.
OT - This GREATLY depends on how much you pay for gas now doesn't it? At $9/gal and a 220 mile range I gave up my M3. When you're spending as much for gas as you are on your car payment for a $60K car, smiles per gallon goes right out the window.

ON topic - He's seeing a combination of things. An adaptive ECU and TCU, e-throttle, and intentional TCU programming. The turbo lag on the A4 really is pretty minimal, but the programmed TRANSMISSION lag is very real, annoying, and potentially dangerous. There is NO reason Audi needed to program in a 2-second gap that kicks in when you hit the gas after slowing down but not stopping. If someone coudl tune that out of the TCU they'd make a killing. I know I'd be first in line.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it exhausting to cruse above 110 mph for extended periods of time. Paying too much attention to the surrounding cars and after a couple hours I feel like I have run a marathon.
I have had enough close calls when I lived in Europe. Could have died a couple of times already.

100mph is no brainer and is fun, I agree. You can hardly feel it in this car.

I like the twisties better.
I'm pretty good until about 125MPH. Maybe I just got used to it in my M but 100-110 wasn't bad at all. Could also be the difference in cars. Some are obviously more stable at speed which makes a HUGE difference. My wife's Wrangler is downright silly at anything over 90MPH.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I need a quart of oil about 1,200 miles. A brilliant engineer (not Audi's) explained to me why turbos burn oil. He convinced me to to worry. I lease it anyway. Metro NY driving may increase oil consumption in my opinion. 30+ mph on the highway has been a reward.

Quick Reply: Serious Throttle Response Lag - 2010 A4 2.0t-Anyone Else?